Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829303132 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
    i just ran an app update and no new version of Kindle available. If it appears I'll be sure and test out the Kindle Import and report back.
    Ya the new kindle version is a port from webos 3.04. I am using that now and the sideloading work fine.
    I'm having a couple of problems.

1) I get a single 'file not found' error, then some books give "EXTH does not match original" errors while running the kindleside script(see below). However, the converted files seem to be usable.

Last night the first time I used the Kindle Import tool to sideload a couple of files I it would hang and not report the files as loaded. I noticed that the first book I was loading had an '-' in the title part of the file name. EG: 1634-The Baltic War - authorname....MOBI
    Today I tried to convert 50 or so .MOBI files. I removed the '-' from the .MOBI and also cover file titles and the books loaded fine and I was able to use them.

The 2nd & even worse problem is that now the Kindle app doesn't recognize books even tho kindle insert reports successfully loading them.
    Specificly: Today I used kindleside.bat to convert about 50 .MOBI books, copied them to the kindle' USB .palmkindle and cover. Then used Kindle Insert to load them into the kindle's database. Kindle Insert showed them checked which I believe indicates a successful load.

However, when I started the Kindle App, it only showed the books I'd bought from Amazon.
    ***????

I believe that both the kindleside files, *** well as the kindle insert app have problems with a "-" in the middle of title names and most likely that book and subsequent ones may not be being handled properly. Could you modify the KindleSide.bat to look for "-" in the title and and replace it with a space or underscore character the way you do the ":" character?

Here is a partial capture of a KindleSide run showing the 'file not found' and EXTH errors:

KindleSide: Quick and dirty script to prepare kindle
    compatible files to be loaded to your HP Touchpad.

**** Special thanks goes to tompe (from MobileRead forums) for
    **** the mobi2mobi tool, Kevin Bosch for his imaze resizer,
    **** and last but not least kjhenrie (for making Kindle-Import),
    **** and nj (for figuring out how to extract the book length)
    **** for making it possible to do all of this

File Not Found
    Number of files: 54
    Processing R:\My Documents\My eBooks\New Books\kindleSide\1633.mobi...
    Done processing 1633
    Processing R:\My Documents\My eBooks\New Books\kindleSide\1634 The_Baltic_War.mobi...
    Done processing 1634-The Baltic War
    Processing R:\My Documents\My eBooks\New Books\kindleSide\1634 The_Ram_Rebellion.mobi...
    ERROR: generated EXTH does not match original
    MISMATCH POS:7:0x7f:0x74
    MISMATCH POS:372:0x0:0x
    MISMATCH POS:373:0x0:0x
    MISMATCH POS:374:0xca:0x
    MISMATCH POS:375:0x0:0x
    MISMATCH POS:376:0x0:0x
    MISMATCH POS:377:0x0:0x
    MISMATCH POS:378:0xc:0x
    MISMATCH POS:379:0x0:0x
    MISMATCH POS:380:0x0:0x
    MISMATCH POS:381:0x0:0x
    MISMATCH POS:382:0x3:0x
    Done processing 1634-The Ram Rebellion
    Processing R:\My Documents\My eBooks\New Books\kindleSide\1635 The_Dreeson_Incident.mobi...
    Done processing 1635-The Dreeson Incident
    Processing R:\My Documents\My eBooks\New Books\kindleSide\A Beautiful Friendship.mobi...
    ERROR: generated EXTH does not match original
    MISMATCH POS:7:0xe:0x10
    Note that for the file I had renamed to: 1634 The_Baltic_War.mobi, The title of the converted file was: 1634-The Baltic War... I'm assuming that the title was extracted from the input file's metadata rathar than the input .MOBI file's name.

One other data point:
    Earlier today, before I started doing the large conversions & inserts I loaded two apps:
    Preware and Battery monitor. I have NOT installed any patches or services on this Touchpad.

BTW, I greatly appreciate the work that has gone into making the Kindle Insert/KindleSide sideload solution.
    Tried this;

1. Restarted Touchpad (power key, select [SHUTDOWN], power button
    2. deregistered kindle & then uninstalled it.
    3. uninstalled Kindle Insert.
    4. Restarted Touchpad
    5. Installed kindle from HP's WebOS catalog
    6. started kindle, registered it, & downloaded a couple of books from my amazon archive, then swiped it away.
    7. Connected Touchpad to PC & selected close
    8. Ran WebOSQuickInstall & installed Kindle Insert
    9. Restarted Touchpad, connected it to PC & selected USB
    10. Copied 1 book & cover pictures to Touchpad's .palmkindle & cover cache folders. Title was: ALPHA - Catherine Asaro - B001851774 - 3972.mobi
    - Pretty innocus. then ejected the touchpad from the pc.
    11. Ran Kindle Insert & used insert new books - looked like it went in, title with green check mark was displayed, the n swiped kindle insert away.
    12. Ran kindle - NO CHANGE, STILL only displays my amazon books, the 2 I'd downloaded & 2 still in the archive. Just isn't seeing the books put in by Kindle Insert!!!

Ohh, my acheing head, I'm calling it a night!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Verell View Post
    Tried this;

1. Restarted Touchpad (power key, select [SHUTDOWN], power button
    2. deregistered kindle & then uninstalled it.
    3. uninstalled Kindle Insert.
    4. Restarted Touchpad
    5. Installed kindle from HP's WebOS catalog
    6. started kindle, registered it, & downloaded a couple of books from my amazon archive, then swiped it away.
    7. Connected Touchpad to PC & selected close
    8. Ran WebOSQuickInstall & installed Kindle Insert
    9. Restarted Touchpad, connected it to PC & selected USB
    10. Copied 1 book & cover pictures to Touchpad's .palmkindle & cover cache folders. Title was: ALPHA - Catherine Asaro - B001851774 - 3972.mobi
    - Pretty innocus. then ejected the touchpad from the pc.
    11. Ran Kindle Insert & used insert new books - looked like it went in, title with green check mark was displayed, the n swiped kindle insert away.
    12. Ran kindle - NO CHANGE, STILL only displays my amazon books, the 2 I'd downloaded & 2 still in the archive. Just isn't seeing the books put in by Kindle Insert!!!

Ohh, my acheing head, I'm calling it a night!!
    The green check means that you want to import that book (default). If you do not want to import the book uncheck it. The books will not be imported into Kindle until you tap on Import Books.

Tap "Load Books" wait until you see them in the list. Tap "Import Books" and wait for the books imported message. Open Kindle and wait a few seconds for it to sync. Enjoy.

As you discovered "-" is the field delimiter and having it in the title or any other field will mess up the import.
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

THANKS!!
    HMM, The reason it worked the 1st time must be that I accidently tapped Import Books when trying to swipe the app down to a card.

I reccommend that you add something like the following to the instructions and/or to the KindleSide README to help other dweebs like me:

To use Kindle Import to import books into Kindle:

1. Tap "Load Books" wait until you see them in the list.

The green check means that you want to import that book (default). If you do not want to import the book uncheck it. The books will not be imported into Kindle until the next step.

2. Tap "Import Books" and wait for the books imported message. Open Kindle and wait a few seconds for it to sync.

To use Kindle Import to delete imported books from Kindle:

EITHER:
    Tap Delete All Imported Books From Kindle
    OR
    1. Tap Load Existing Books
    2. Tap on the check box by the title to select books to be deleted.
    3. Tap Delete Selected Books From Kindle

As you discovered "-" is the field delimiter and having it in the title or any other field will mess up the import.
    I didn't have any trouble figuring that out, but since the "-" is coming from the title metadata and not from the input .MOBI file's name it would be really really nice if KindleSide.bat could replace it with a space or underscore or some other character the way you do the ":" character.

I have about 300 files to load, & at least 20 of them have "-"s in the title which means editing the names of at least 60 book+small & medium cover files to remove the "-"s (sigh). I"m sure others have the same problem.
    Last edited by Verell; 10/18/2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Add deletion instructions.
    THANKS!!
    HMM, The reason it worked the 1st time must be that I accidently tapped Import Books when trying to swipe the app down to a card.

I reccommend that you add something like the following to the instructions and/or to the KindleSide README to help other dweebs like me:
    Did you look at the menu > Help dialog? It has instructions. I am not sure if you didn't see them or if you are suggesting I reword them .

I didn't have any trouble figuring that out, but since the "-" is coming from the title metadata and not from the input .MOBI file's name it would be really really nice if KindleSide.bat could replace it with a space or underscore or some other character the way you do the ":" character.

I have about 300 files to load, & at least 20 of them have "-"s in the title which means editing the names of at least 60 book+small & medium cover files to remove the "-"s (sigh). I"m sure others have the same problem.

Surprisingly you are the first person that has brought this issue up. I expected to hear about it earlier.

m0ngr31 will have to chime in regarding updates to his script.
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    Did you look at the menu > Help dialog? It has instructions. I am not sure if you didn't see them or if you are suggesting I reword them .
    OOPS! I'm still learning the WebOS GUI & overlooked that the App's title had a HELP option.

Maybe just add something like "See Kindle Import's HELP for details" to the instructions on the 1st post of this thread.
    Will the app still work after 3.0.4 update?
    Quote Originally Posted by elsie2 View Post
    I am a heavy user of Calibre but I actually like being able to use the script. I don't have to connect my TP to my computer with USB if I use the script--I can just move them over using a wireless connection.

Which Touchpad & PC app(s) are you using to do this & could you give a quick overview of the process? (I just got a Touchpas & it's my 1st webOS device.)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobeer1315 View Post
    Will the app still work after 3.0.4 update?
    Already answered a few posts back:

Quote Originally Posted by isanrap View Post
    Ya the new kindle version is a port from webos 3.04. I am using that now and the sideloading work fine.
    Also, I just updated to 3.0.4 & verified that Kindle Insert & also the Kindle App. work just fine.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    THANKS!!

Hey, I got your PM, hope my response helped. Once I get home I'll be able to test it in windows and upload a new batch file.
    Which Touchpad & PC app(s) are you using to do this & could you give a quick overview of the process? (I just got a Touchpas & it's my 1st webOS device.)
    Sorry I didn't respond sooner--been dealing with 3.0.4 issues so I haven't been on this thread.

Use TBtranser--you can find more information about it at http://www.precentral.net/tbtransfer. It allows you to copy files to and from the TP and your computer. I loaded the file from Preware.

There is a file that you also have to download (found at TBtransfer / Home / Home) to your computer so the TP and computer can talk-- you'll see address mentioned when you look at the tbtransfer page in precentral. You want to download TBaccess-pre2.zip if you have windows, mac, linux, solaris or BSD. (If you have something else I guess you download the other zip file.)

You run the tbaccess file on your computer and run tbtransfer on your TP. TBtransfer on the TP will search for a server--your computer. Once it finds the IP address, you select it and then you will see your computer drive(s) on the left hand side of the TP screen and the TP drive on the right hand side of the TP screen. On one drive find where you want your file to go and on the other drive find the file you want to copy, tap on it and then select transfer. The file then gets copied from one drive to the other.

When you are done copying files, don't forget to right click on the icon for tbaccess (in Windows you get an icon in your system tray when you run tbaccess) and exit the program on your computer.

When you go to the sourceforge website, make sure to read the help wiki and the install wiki. All the information you need is there.

If you have a good file manager program and tbtransfer, you will find you very seldom need to put your TP into USB mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by isanrap View Post
    Which version of Kindle for TP are you referring to and how do you get it? The latest version that I'm able to get is 0.11.499820. I was not able to get any new version even after upgrading to 3.0.4.
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
    Hey, I got your PM, hope my response helped. Once I get home I'll be able to test it in windows and upload a new batch file.
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31
    Hey, I'm not in a place where I have a windows box in front of me, so I'm just guessing this will work...

Try putting this line after line 56 in the kindleSide.bat file:
    Code:
    set title1=!title1:-=!
    THANKS!! I'd looked at the .BAT & that's where I thought a fix should go. but I'm just not enough of a .BAT script hacker to program it. Now if it were a DCL script...
    ;^)

Just tested it. It works in that it strips any "-" delimiters from within the title metadata which is the minimum needed to get Kindle Import to accept the files. e. g:

when processed by KindleSide with this patch : Man-Kzin_Wars_IX.mobi
    becomes: ManKzin Wars IX - Larry Niven - B001169480 - 4122.mobi

Which means that the Kindle for webOS will display the title as: ManKizn Wars IX

I wasn't expecting this tho: MYTH - Interpretations.mobi
    when processed became: MYTHInterpretations The Worlds of Robert Asprin - Robert Asprin - B001794549 - 5171.mobi
    ie: the two space characters on each side of the delimeter were also stripped!

Would be nice if the title were to simply receive a space or underscore character in place of the removed delimiter, eg the displayed titles would be:

Man Kzin Wars IX
    and
    MYTH Interpretations The Worlds of Robert Asprin

But maybe the .BAT script language isn't flexable enough to do that w/o a lot of work(sigh).
    Last edited by Verell; 10/20/2011 at 08:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    THANKS!! I'd looked at the .BAT & that's where I thought a fix should go. but I'm just not enough of a .BAT script hacker to program it. Now if it were a DCL script...
    ;^)

Just tested it. It works in that it strips any "-" delimiters from within the title metadata which is the minimum needed to get Kindle Import to accept the files. e. g:

when processed by KindleSide with this patch : Man-Kzin_Wars_IX.mobi
    becomes: ManKzin Wars IX - Larry Niven - B001169480 - 4122.mobi

Which means that the Kindle for webOS will display the title as: ManKizn Wars IX

I wasn't expecting this tho: MYTH - Interpretations.mobi
    when processed became: MYTHInterpretations The Worlds of Robert Asprin - Robert Asprin - B001794549 - 5171.mobi
    ie: the two space characters on each side of the delimeter were also stripped!

Would be nice if the title were to simply receive a space or underscore character in place of the removed delimiter, eg the displayed titles would be:

Man Kzin Wars IX
    and
    MYTH Interpretations The Worlds of Robert Asprin

But maybe the .BAT script language isn't flexable enough to do that w/o a lot of work(sigh).
    I'm willing to bet that the title of the book (as stored in the mobi file) was MYTH-Interpretations The Worlds of Robert Asprin. The script won't replace whitespace, just the "-". You can change what you want to replace it with by what you put after the "=" in the line of script I sent over. Right now there is nothing but the "!", so nothing is put there. So just put whatever character between =! and it'll replace it.
    I'm willing to bet that the title of the book (as stored in the mobi file) was MYTH-Interpretations The Worlds of Robert Asprin..
    Checked, you're right of course( DUH), Assumed that the BAEN file name matched the title :-(.

So just put whatever character between =! and it'll replace it.
    Yup, that was what I was asking for, the 1st command line below replaces the unwanted delimeter with an "_", and the 2nd one replaces it with a " ":
    Code:
    set title1=!title1:-=_!

set title1=!title1:-= !
    Quote Originally Posted by schak View Post
    Which version of Kindle for TP are you referring to and how do you get it? The latest version that I'm able to get is 0.11.499820. I was not able to get any new version even after upgrading to 3.0.4.
    I've shared the latest version (Amazon Kindle Beta 0.12.50) on my box account . Here is the link:

https://www.box.net/shared/0qp3c3h1z6llhcph1ccz

You have to install it with preware by clicking on the top left button and selecting "install package" since it is an ipk file.

It works perfectly on my touchpad:-)
    Anne_Lente,
    THANKS!!!
    Do you know what new features & fixes kindle for WebOS 0.12.5 has over 0.11.499820?
    Where did you find 0.12.5?
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne_Lente View Post
    I've shared the latest version (Amazon Kindle Beta 0.12.50) on my box account . Here is the link:

https://www.box.net/shared/0qp3c3h1z6llhcph1ccz

You have to install it with preware by clicking on the top left button and selecting "install package" since it is an ipk file.

It works perfectly on my touchpad:-)
    Thanks Anne_Lente! Will give that new version a try.

Just an FYI. I recently installed Cyanogen's Mod 7 v2.1 Android on my TP, sideloading into Kindle there is very simple. Just copy the books into the kindle directory and you are good to go.