Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 141920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
    kjhenrie,

Couple of questions on Kindle import. I'm almost there with getting this thing working. I have a large number of books. I was able to copy all books to the TP with no issues. When I run Kindle import and select load new books it sits there with "Operation in Progress" and never completes. I'm guessing too many books (3000+). I tried 500 at a time. First 500 goes in no issues. Next 500 goes in without issues as well. For the third 500, when I click load new books I see the second 500 in the list as well and so when I say import, it imports 1000 books and I see duplicates in Kindle. With this situation, the fourth 500 never comes back because it gets stuck on the "Operation in Progress" screen.

Looks like it's having trouble realizing the second set of books has been imported already. I saw elsewhere you have recommended a restart for db issues, will try that now.

Any other ideas in the meantime? Fantastic product by the way - donation on the way!

thank you,
    b
    Also a quick feature suggestion - can you put the options to import on the top of the screen to avoid having to scroll to the bottom with a large number of books?

thank you,
    b
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan87500 View Post
    Would it ever be possible for Calibre to send the books over wifi?
    Calibre has an internal web server that you can start and access from the TP but you would have to download books one at a time and move them to the proper directory and you wouldn't get covers so it's probably not worth the effort.

As far as a wifi sync that would be awesome but to make this work with the dozens of devices that Calibre supports would be a large effort.
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

Quote Originally Posted by binoy1 View Post
    I'm guessing too many books (3000+). I tried 500 at a time. First 500 goes in no issues. Next 500 goes in without issues as well. For the third 500, when I click load new books I see the second 500 in the list as well and so when I say import, it imports 1000 books and I see duplicates in Kindle. With this situation, the fourth 500 never comes back because it gets stuck on the "Operation in Progress" screen.
    Cool you are the official number of books boundary tester! I don't have that many books so the max I have ever tried is around 150. I am guessing the 500 limit you are hitting is due to the fact that I run two asynchronous processes (covers followed by books) and you are probably hitting an issue in which the first process is not finished when the second executes. I will see if I can replicate this.

The duplicate books is interesting because it uses the title and author as the unique key for a book. So if it's working as expected you may have two copies of the same book with slightly different names in the .palmkindle folder (?).

Any other ideas in the meantime? Fantastic product by the way - donation on the way!
    Thanks for the donation and kudos!
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

Also a quick feature suggestion - can you put the options to import on the top of the screen to avoid having to scroll to the bottom with a large number of books?

thank you,
    b
    Great suggestion. I have also found that to be annoying and fixing it has been on my mind. Fix will be in the next version.

Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    Cool you are the official number of books boundary tester! I don't have that many books so the max I have ever tried is around 150. I am guessing the 500 limit you are hitting is due to the fact that I run two asynchronous processes (covers followed by books) and you are probably hitting an issue in which the first process is not finished when the second executes. I will see if I can replicate this.

The duplicate books is interesting because it uses the title and author as the unique key for a book. So if it's working as expected you may have two copies of the same book with slightly different names in the .palmkindle folder (?).

Thanks for the donation and kudos!
    kjhenrie,

Reboot didnt fix the problem. Let me know if you have any other suggestions after your testing.

thank you,
    b
    kjhenrie,

Reboot didnt fix the problem. Let me know if you have any other suggestions after your testing.

thank you,
    b
    Hey kjhenrie,

Are the Covers really required? Can I empty out the covers folder and try it?

Let me give it a shot. There's a lot of covers (2 per book) and I wonder if it's too much?
    b
    Hey kjhenrie,

Are the Covers really required? Can I empty out the covers folder and try it?

Let me give it a shot. There's a lot of covers (2 per book) and I wonder if it's too much?
    b
    Covers are not required but they are nice. You can try removing them and see if it helps. Did you get a chance to see if you have any duplicate books (same book different filename) in the .palmkindle folder?

Covers are not required but they are nice. You can try removing them and see if it helps. Did you get a chance to see if you have any duplicate books (same book different filename) in the .palmkindle folder?
    No luck with covers removed. No duplicates either

Not sure what to do next...
    b
    No luck with covers removed. No duplicates either

Not sure what to do next...
    b
    I don't think there is anything else you can try. I am pretty sure I can resolve this but it will require a code change. I'll work with the code and let you know when I have a build you can try. It might not be until later today or tomorrow as I have some family obligations.

We'll get those books in there .

"no internet connection"
    Works great apart from that.
    One thing that I don't understand is why it's still Amazon Kindle Beta.

Amazon had plenty of time to update it and bring this app out of Beta status.

Is it possible that Amazon may just abandon this and leave it in permanent Beta status?
    (blaming HP for killing the Touchpad)
    I don't think there is anything else you can try. I am pretty sure I can resolve this but it will require a code change. I'll work with the code and let you know when I have a build you can try. It might not be until later today or tomorrow as I have some family obligations.

We'll get those books in there .
    thanks kjhenrie...much appreciated.
    b
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    This is what I have done:

1. Installed Preware

2. Installed Kindle Import

3. Used the Kindle Side script

4. Moved the files to .palmkindle after connecting via USB. (confused why I keep seeing /media/internal/.palmkindle, why dont I see this?)

5. I ran Kindle Import and "Operation In Progress" pops up and stays infinitely.

Any suggestions? Why is it such a HUGE pita to get books on the HP Touchpad whereas on my Android devices I just put them in the Kindle folder? ...
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    It's on pretty much every single post, you need to reboot after you install Kindle Import from Preware. It's hard because the app is crippled. Amazon or Palm or whoever made it didn't put a whole lot of effort into it. Whispersync doesn't even work.
    Quote Originally Posted by demon311 View Post
    This is what I have done:

1. Installed Preware

2. Installed Kindle Import

3. Used the Kindle Side script

4. Moved the files to .palmkindle after connecting via USB. (confused why I keep seeing /media/internal/.palmkindle, why dont I see this?)

5. I ran Kindle Import and "Operation In Progress" pops up and stays infinitely.

Any suggestions? Why is it such a HUGE pita to get books on the HP Touchpad whereas on my Android devices I just put them in the Kindle folder? ...
    hey demon, how many books you trying to import?
    b
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
    It's on pretty much every single post, you need to reboot after you install Kindle Import from Preware. It's hard because the app is crippled. Amazon or Palm or whoever made it didn't put a whole lot of effort into it. Whispersync doesn't even work.
    I did reboot.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    hey demon, how many books you trying to import?
    b
    I am importing 1 book to start off.
    Quote Originally Posted by demon311 View Post
    I am importing 1 book to start off.
    demon,

I used Calibre to get the books onto the TP instead of the script. I use a mac and for some reason, the script (running in parallels) threw up and gave a bunch of errors and mismatches. Can you try to use Calibre to push the book onto the TP and then use the Kindle import tool to load the book?

thanks,
    b
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    demon,

I used Calibre to get the books onto the TP instead of the script. I use a mac and for some reason, the script (running in parallels) threw up and gave a bunch of errors and mismatches. Can you try to use Calibre to push the book onto the TP and then use the Kindle import tool to load the book?

thanks,
    b
    Ill give that a try tonight. Thanks.