Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gyasih View Post
    Thank you so much for this!! What's the process for adding additional books? Do we have to go through the entire process again?
    If you are using Calibre just add them in Calibre and convert if necessary then send them to the device, open Kindle Import click Load, followed by Import.

Kindle Import checks the database for existing books and will only load new books.
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

Quote Originally Posted by chatoyant View Post
    After five days I can report everything is working perfectly and I can read all of my books. I even sorted them all into Collections in the Kindle software. No errors, issues or problems. I even sold my Kindle on eBay today as I have no need for it anymore. Thanks again to everyone who made this possible. Where can I donate? I really want to make a donation to say thank you.
    Hopefully nothing goes wrong with the side loading app,such as kindle releasing an update to block it. Then you would have to buy your Kindle back. Does anyone else thing this is possible? I sure hope not.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobeer1315 View Post
    Hopefully nothing goes wrong with the side loading app,such as kindle releasing an update to block it. Then you would have to buy your Kindle back. Does anyone else thing this is possible? I sure hope not.
    It's definitely possible but:

1. Having reviewed the code I can't see how they could block it with the current version
    2. Updating to a new version is not required and it's easy to backup the current version in the event that you have to revert ;-)
    3. I don't think they are actively working on the WebOS app and probably not too interested in it
    4. It wouldn't be a smart move considering for every person selling their Kindle in favor of the TP there is probably someone selling a Nook or Nook Color (like me for example) so it could actually increase sells. I bought my first Kindle book today and without Kindle Import I would have bought it on the Nook
    5. Lack of a good ebook reader is a strong motivator for people to jump on Android when it is fully baked on the TP and on Android Amazon has a lot more competition.
    6. If they did do something to block it motivated developers will :-) get around it
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that there is still work being done on the Kindle app, although I think it's actually done at Palm, rather than at Amazon. *

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I've done a minor update on the script again. Just small improvements, so if you've had problems in the past, give this a go.

I was working on getting whispersync working tonight, but I realized that it doesn't even work with Kindle store books across my devices, so there is no chance for us haha
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    It's definitely possible but:

1. Having reviewed the code I can't see how they could block it with the current version
    2. Updating to a new version is not required and it's easy to backup the current version in the event that you have to revert ;-)
    3. I don't think they are actively working on the WebOS app and probably not too interested in it
    4. It wouldn't be a smart move considering for every person selling their Kindle in favor of the TP there is probably someone selling a Nook or Nook Color (like me for example) so it could actually increase sells. I bought my first Kindle book today and without Kindle Import I would have bought it on the Nook
    5. Lack of a good ebook reader is a strong motivator for people to jump on Android when it is fully baked on the TP and on Android Amazon has a lot more competition.
    6. If they did do something to block it motivated developers will :-) get around it
    Can you give us details on the best way to back it up (which files). I'm guessing we should back it up to a pc. Then how do we restore it on touchpad. Thanks for the help.
    Can you give us details on the best way to back it up (which files). I'm guessing we should back it up to a pc. Then how do we restore it on touchpad. Thanks for the help.
    Copy (do not move or cut) the folder /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.apps.kindle over to /media/internal using Internalz. Connect to USB and select USB Drive and copy the folder over to your pc. Build the install file (ipk) using the palm SDK command "palm-package com.palm.apps.kindle" in a cmd window or terminal. If you don't want to go through the trouble an installable file will always be around and available to anyone who needs it.

Thanks kjhenrie
    If that happens I'll just deal with it. No big deal. I'm sure they'll be *some* way to get the books back on the TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    If you are using Calibre just add them in Calibre and convert if necessary then send them to the device, open Kindle Import click Load, followed by Import.

Kindle Import checks the database for existing books and will only load new books.
    Thanks, and I am using Calibre.
    First of all, thanks for the hard work to make side-loading possible...

So I installed kindle-import from Preware, rebooted TP and copied 2 books to .palmkindle and hit "Load books" from kindle import, it shows "Operation in progress" and I am stuck here (30 mins passed), What have I done wrong guys?

Thanks.

Edit: deregistered and re-registerd before installing Kindle-import
    I just finished uploading a new release of Kindle Import with some nice new features. See the changelog here for specifics. I am not sure how long it will take to be published to preware.

edit: 1.3.0 is now available through preware update let me know what you think. :-)
    Last edited by kjhenrie; 09/26/2011 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by astrostrider View Post
    First of all, thanks for the hard work to make side-loading possible...

So I installed kindle-import from Preware, rebooted TP and copied 2 books to .palmkindle and hit "Load books" from kindle import, it shows "Operation in progress" and I am stuck here (30 mins passed), What have I done wrong guys?

Thanks.

Edit: deregistered and re-registerd before installing Kindle-import
    Make sure your books in the .palmkindle folder follow the correct naming convention. The new version will let you choose which files to upload so you can try one at a time.
    Last edited by kjhenrie; 09/26/2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: spelling fix

hi cant get my books to load at all
    keep getting Operation Failed, have tried both calibre and manually into palm kindle folder
    When I go into Kindle Import - I do the following:
    - Load Books
    - I get an "Operation Failed"
    althought the name of the book is found
    - I select Import Books
    i have follwed the de-register kindle and re-start TP also.

any idea's
    Quote Originally Posted by gdf68 View Post
    hi cant get my books to load at all
    keep getting Operation Failed, have tried both calibre and manually into palm kindle folder
    When I go into Kindle Import - I do the following:
    - Load Books
    althought the name of the book is found
    - I select Import Books
    i have follwed the de-register kindle and re-start TP also.

any idea's
    A full restart of the TP usually takes care of that. Try uninstalling and reinstalling Kindle Import followed by a TP restart and see if that works. Are you using 1.3.0?

yeah m8 just re-installed latest ver.......i get operation failed followed straight away withoperation in progress but think its froze as been stuck for 10 min (only loading 20 books) tried again with just one book still freezes............
    tried loads of combination de-registing kindle turn TP off etc ,,,,,,,THANX
    yeah m8 just re-installed latest ver.......i get operation failed followed straight away withoperation in progress but think its froze as been stuck for 10 min (only loading 20 books) tried again with just one book still freezes............
    tried loads of combination de-registing kindle turn TP off etc ,,,,,,,THANX
    If you have internalz installed navigate to /etc/palm/db/permissions and see if there is a com.palm.kindle file there. If so open it and make sure it has the contents below.

[
    {
    "type": "db.kind",
    "object": "com.palm.kindle.books:1",
    "caller": "cx.ath.kjhenrie.kindleimport.*",
    "operations": {
    "create": "allow",
    "read": "allow",
    "update": "allow",
    "delete": "allow"
    }
    }
    ]

the most success i have had is loading one book that appears after loading but i still receive import operation failed..........
    hi i have opend it but no contents , file is blank

how do i edit/add these permissions?
    Last edited by gdf68; 09/26/2011 at 05:20 PM.
    the most success i have had is loading one book that appears after loading but i still receive import operation failed..........
    Operation failed means that Kindle Import does not have permission to access the Kindle database. The file I mentioned above grants the access.

If the file is there and appears to be okay try uninstalling the app and installing the previous version https://github.com/downloads/sandnap..._1.2.0_all.ipk.

Are you installing from preware?