Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    absolutely beautiful guys! Can't wait for a patch. Absolutely love seeing this community work together like this.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTriXx View Post
    How's it going? I can help with javascript to if needed..
    I've got the UI done (first time working with Enyo yay!), but I am completely lost when it comes down to using node.jsjsjs $to$ $import$ $the$ $directory$ $of$ $books$ $as$ $a$ $list$. $If$ $I$ $could$ $figure$ $that$ $out$, $I$'$d$ $still$ $have$ $to$ $figure$ $out$ $how$ $to$ $compare$ $that$ $list$ $with$ $what$ $is$ $already$ $in$ $the$ $database$, $and$ $then$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $put$ $the$ $ones$ $that$ $aren$'$t$ $into$ $it$.

Hopefully that makes sense. I can send over my flowchart on how I am trying to make the app work if that'll help you.
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
    I've got the UI done (first time working with Enyo yay!), but I am completely lost when it comes down to using node.jsjsjs $to$ $import$ $the$ $directory$ $of$ $books$ $as$ $a$ $list$. $If$ $I$ $could$ $figure$ $that$ $out$, $I$'$d$ $still$ $have$ $to$ $figure$ $out$ $how$ $to$ $compare$ $that$ $list$ $with$ $what$ $is$ $already$ $in$ $the$ $database$, $and$ $then$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $put$ $the$ $ones$ $that$ $aren$'$t$ $into$ $it$.

Hopefully that makes sense. I can send over my flowchart on how I am trying to make the app work if that'll help you.
    Hmm, understand.. Please pm me a url to you flowchart.

Edit: The best would be if we could read the db and also have an example of the db with a imported or bought book in it. Kinda reverse engineering it..

Also curious how the mod looks like in the UI.. :-)
    Last edited by ElecTriXx; 09/11/2011 at 03:51 PM.
    I don't want to hijack the thread but for anyone who is interested in a solution I developed today change the extension of the attached .zip file to .ipk and install. The usage instructions are displayed in the application window but I'll give you a quick overview.

You will need to create an import file with the meta-data of the books you wish to import. You will need to create a permissions file to grant this application access to to the Kindle db8 database (I used novaterm). Once you are ready you will just copy the book files and meta-data file to the touchpad and run the application.

The instructions included with the application go into more detail.

I have been a developer for more years than I care to admit to but this is my first enyo application. I programmed this because I can't stand not having a good ereader for my epub files on the touchpad (I converted them to mobi with calibre). If enough people are interested in my approach I will continue to improve it with the intent to remove the need for the meta-data file. If anyone else is interested in contributing let me know.

Carry on .
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Yeah, I meant the service node.jsjsjs $lol$. $I$ $was$ $able$ $to$ $get$ $it$ $to$ $list$ $the$ $books$ $in$ $the$ $directory$ $with$ $this$ $javascript$:
    Code:
    var fs = require('fs'),
        processId;

fs.readdir("/media/internals/ebooks/", function (err, filenames) {
        var i;
        for (i = 0; i < filenames.length; i++) {
    	if ( filenames[i].match(/.mobi$/) ) {
            console.log(filenames[i]); }
        }
    });

processId = process.getuid();
    But how to get that in a list at the program loads is beyond me...

Also I need to figure out how to get the meta information (Title, author, ASIN number, book length, ect) from the books after they are loaded into a list so that that information can be used to search and update the database. pReader has done the work for us there, I just need to figure out how to use their code to read the mobi files. The file is called MobiRecord.jsjsjs $in$ $pReader$.

After that, I need to be able to read the kindle database to see what books are in there and compare it to our list of books (you'll want to be able to add/subtract books over time).

When all that is done, the list will be displayed in the app. All the books that are in the database will be selected (I'm using checkboxes next to every item in the list) already. Any that you don't want anymore, you can use the checkbox to unselect them. If you want a book that isn't in the database, just select it using the checkbox.

If there is a book that isn't in the list but it's in the database (say it got deleted for whatever reason), the app should delete that book from the database so if you try to load it in Kindle, the Kindle app won't take a dump.

There will be a save button at the bottom that will make all the deletions or additions to the database and that should do it.

In a minute, I'll upload a screenshot of what the app looks like so you might have a better idea about what's going on...

Let me know if this doesn't make sense. I'm kinda out of it with the cold medicine I'm taking.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Here is a screenshot. Hopefully it'll help my description make more sense.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    I don't want to hijack the thread but for anyone who is interested in a solution I developed today change the extension of the attached .zip file to .ipk and install. The usage instructions are displayed in the application window but I'll give you a quick overview.

You will need to create an import file with the meta-data of the books you wish to import. You will need to create a permissions file to grant this application access to to the Kindle db8 database (I used novaterm). Once you are ready you will just copy the book files and meta-data file to the touchpad and run the application.

The instructions included with the application go into more detail.

I have been a developer for more years than I care to admit to but this is my first enyo application. I programmed this because I can't stand not having a good ereader for my epub files on the touchpad (I converted them to mobi with calibre). If enough people are interested in my approach I will continue to improve it with the intent to remove the need for the meta-data file. If anyone else is interested in contributing let me know.

Carry on .
    Awesome man! I'm hoping we can all use this as a place to make the best solution as possible, so all ideas are welcome! My vision is a way to be able to just dump your books on there and not worry about anything else other than running the app that will import them into the database. My app is far from being complete, so if you would like to help we would love it. This is my first enyo app to, so it's a bit of a learning curve lol. If your app is more mature, I'm fine basing it off of yours instead.
    My vision is a way to be able to just dump your books on there and not worry about anything else other than running the app that will import them into the database.
    This is my vision as well. I started with a metadata file with the intent of polling the directory and extracting the metadata in a second phase. From the sound of it we might just be able to meet in the middle. I started at the database end and you started at the directory polling end. My code can take an array of Book (kind), check the database for dupes, and insert them into the database. I also have a function to remove all imported books from the database for testing purposes. I think it will be easy to meld our code together with the glue being the Book kind I created or a similar kind.

My app is far from being complete, so if you would like to help we would love it. This is my first enyo app to, so it's a bit of a learning curve lol If your app is more mature, I'm fine basing it off of yours instead.
    My app consists of a lot of instructions, two buttons (import and delete), and of course the database code. If you haven't already we should create a project on github or the source hosting provider of your choice and get this thing going.
    Gee, all I wanted to is Drag and Drop. I had no idea it was this complex!

I'm amazed at all of the hard work. Thanks to all of you!
    I need to be able to read the kindle database to see what books are in there and compare it to our list of books (you'll want to be able to add/subtract books over time).
    I'll check this. Can't you delete books through Kindle, think its easier to import with this app and delete with kindle..? Just a thought.

Edit:
    kjhenrie;
    Did you already make this with your app?
    Last edited by ElecTriXx; 09/11/2011 at 05:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I hadn't thought of deleting them in the kindle app. I just thought it'd be simple to do it all from the sideloading one
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTriXx View Post
    kjhenrie;
    Did you already make this with your app?
    Yes I have code that retrieves all existing books to check for duplicates, inserts new records, and optionally deletes records created by my application for testing/cleanup.

I am attaching a new version of my code. I failed to to use a scroller so it didn't play well in landscape mode. I also attached a screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ElecTriXx and bishre like this.
    I don't believe the Kindle application offers a way to delete books from the database you can only archive them which didn't seem to do anything with the books I imported.
    But how to get that in a list at the program loads is beyond me...
    If you have the filename/path you can use a WebService to load the contents of the file. I have an example in my app. Since the file is binary it will need to be uncompressed but it sounds like we can reference the code in preader for this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    i'd give my right testicle to be able to read epub from my library. on second though. maybe my left one instead
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kleinbiker View Post
    The skindle sources have the logic for parsing the metadata from a mobi file. You can find the skindle sources at tools_v1.9.zip - look in the tools\Kindle_4_PC_Tools\skindle-06 directory. I looked through it briefly and it may take some time to extract it.

quocsan from mobileread apparently has done this - MobileRead Forums - View Single Post - New Mobi Decoder. I will send him a PM to see if he can share it.
    pReader has already done the work for us and it's already in JavaScript
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Sorry, Kindle doesn't support epub. You'll have to use pReader or convert them to .mobi with Calibre or something.
    I guess what you all are discussing are books that were NOT purchased from Amazon? Because I have my Kindle, G-Tablet and TouchPad all registered at Amazon and any one of them can read any of the books I have bought from Amazon.

However, I have found AZW files at other sites and would love to import them into my Kindle library. Is that what you are doing? If so - godspeed and good luck, I will subscribe to this thread. I have emailed Amazon about it, but I don't actually expect a usable answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    Yes I have code that retrieves all existing books to check for duplicates, inserts new records, and optionally deletes records created by my application for testing/cleanup.

I am attaching a new version of my code. I failed to to use a scroller so it didn't play well in landscape mode. I also attached a screenshot.
    Anybody else having trouble opening the archive? WinRAR says it's corrupted.
    Quote Originally Posted by nunjabusiness View Post
    I guess what you all are discussing are books that were NOT purchased from Amazon? Because I have my Kindle, G-Tablet and TouchPad all registered at Amazon and any one of them can read any of the books I have bought from Amazon.

However, I have found AZW files at other sites and would love to import them into my Kindle library. Is that what you are doing? If so - godspeed and good luck, I will subscribe to this thread. I have emailed Amazon about it, but I don't actually expect a usable answer.
    With my import utility I am reading books on my touchpad kindle app that I converted to mobi from epub using Calibre. The import will work with azw files as well. I am not sure how the Kindle app is licensed but if it doesn't violate the license I can provide patch that will add "import" and "delete imported books" options to the Kindle menu. The only real hurdle is pulling the book information from the book so that it doesn't require a metadata file. However, creating the metadata file is not difficult I created one for 49 books in about 20 minutes and now they are all in Kindle .
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast