Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
    Are you using the script I updated this morning or the one from yesterday?
    I'm using the newest update.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Oh, are you looking at the locations bar?
  3. nj
    Quote Originally Posted by agr1277 View Post
    The page number doesn't seem to be working properly. I have the right number of pages but when i click on the screen to go to the next page, it is the next page but the page counter jumps forward 10 or so pages. Seems to change with each page turn.
    They're not page numbers but location numbers.

Each represents 150 characters, so each page displayed can represent more than one location displayed. In fact even on my iPod with the largest font size the numbers go up by several at a time.

Basically that's the way they work in Kindle apps.
    KindleSide: Quick and dirty script to prepare kindle
    compatible files to be loaded to your HP Touchpad.

**** Special thanks goes to tompe (from MobileRead forums) for
    **** the mobi2mobi tool, Kevin Bosch for his imaze resizer,
    **** and last but not least kjhenrie (for making Kindle-Import),
    **** and nj (for figuring out how to extract the book length)
    **** for making it possible to do all of this

Number of files: 7
    bogus database name! is this really a PalmOS file? at Palm/PDB.pm line 537.
    Gave a fake ASIN number to: ~11. It's new number is B003312278
    Gave a fake ASIN number to: . It's new number is B003312279
    Gave a fake ASIN number to: ~11. It's new number is B003312280
    Gave a fake ASIN number to: . It's new number is B003312281
    Gave a fake ASIN number to: ~11. It's new number is B003312282
    Quote Originally Posted by nj View Post
    They're not page numbers but location numbers.

Each represents 150 characters, so each page displayed can represent more than one location displayed. In fact even on my iPod with the largest font size the numbers go up by several at a time.

Basically that's the way they work in Kindle apps.
    Ok. Learned something new.
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
    Ok guys, here is the updated version my batch file. This version will support book lengths! Thanks to nj for figuring this out for me!!

You'll want to de-register your Kindle, re-register, run this script, copy to your TP, then run Kindle-Import.

Here you go
    I don't know what I did wrong but the location slider still did not work for me. The location number for all the books are still 15000. Sliding still sometimes works, sometimes not but the pages did not move although the number changes. Basically, it the books still behaved the same as the previous version of the script.
  7. nj
    The "bogus database name!" problem is, I think, caused by the mobi having a non zero 32nd byte.

Kindle and Calibre don't mind this but mobi2mobi does. Strictly speaking mobi2mobi is right the 32 byte database name is supposed to be zero terminated.

If your comfortable using a hexeditor, set the 32nd byte (offset 0x1F) to 00 and the mobi should be accepted by mobi2mobi.

Or you can use Calibre, load the book and edit the metadata and shorten the title to 31 or less characters (spaces count) and set 'title sort' to the same. Then use the convert option set the output to mobi. The resulting mobi should be accepted by mobi2mobi.

Somebody more familiar with Calibre could probably explain this better than me.

Of course it's possible the mobi has other problems, but if it's just this byte then the steps above should 'fix' it.
    Last edited by nj; 09/18/2011 at 07:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtt99 View Post
    I don't know what I did wrong but the location slider still did not work for me. The location number for all the books are still 15000. Sliding still sometimes works, sometimes not but the pages did not move although the number changes. Basically, it the books still behaved the same as the previous version of the script.
    The new version is working great for me. I know it's somewhat obvious but ensure you are following the above instructions and the new download. I made sure I downloaded the zip to a different directory since it is named the same as the previous version and I didn't want to confuse the versioning.

Not trying to be a smart a** with this comment, just verifying that I followed the instructions and it works well for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by atraum View Post
    The new version is working great for me. I know it's somewhat obvious but ensure you are following the above instructions and the new download. I made sure I downloaded the zip to a different directory since it is named the same as the previous version and I didn't want to confuse the versioning.

Not trying to be a smart a** with this comment, just verifying that I followed the instructions and it works well for me.
    Yes, I followed instruction: de-registered > re-registered > downloaded from the link and unzipped > copied books to the new folder and ran the bat file > copied books and book covers to appropriate TP folder > ran the importer.

Did you books show different numbers than 15000 for the locations?
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    What version of Kindle-import are you using? Can you submit one of your filenames please?
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Did you books show different numbers than 15000 for the locations?
    Yeah, I previously had the same 15000 issue and problems scrolling through the book using the location bar. Now the 2 that I have tested it with have different ending locations and scroll accurately. Not sure if it matters but the .mobi you used for the second conversion was from your original source and not the previously converted file right?
    Wow a lot of activity since I have been gone!

m0ngr31 when you get a minute PM me and catch me up and we can talk about getting this out as a preware app and future enhancements.

For now I intend to look at adding the image export to the Calibre WebOS plugin. I would like to find out if Calibre can extract total locations too. For now I think editing book metadata in the database and prior to the import is lower priority.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    Wow a lot of activity since I have been gone!

m0ngr31 when you get a minute PM me and catch me up and we can talk about getting this out as a preware app and future enhancements.

For now I intend to look at adding the image export to the Calibre WebOS plugin. I would like to find out if Calibre can extract total locations too. For now I think editing book metadata in the database and prior to the import is lower priority.
    PM sent
    Quote Originally Posted by atraum View Post
    Yeah, I previously had the same 15000 issue and problems scrolling through the book using the location bar. Now the 2 that I have tested it with have different ending locations and scroll accurately. Not sure if it matters but the .mobi you used for the second conversion was from your original source and not the previously converted file right?
    I found out the problem. The script worked all along but it did not work for the book I used to test. Out of 35 books imported with the script, a bit more than half showed the book length correctly. The rest had the length at 15000 and the location slider did not work no matter how many times I tried. If one of the books in a series works, others would work and if one in the series did not work, all books in the same series would not work.
    Hello m0ngr31

I have applied the script (last one you posted) to 11 books, 9 of them the position is perfect, but in two or them the generated file misses one space before the author name.

Example:
    original filename: The Lost Symbol - Dan Brow.mobi
    after script filename: The Lost Symbol -Dan Brown - B005725444 - 8141.mobi

The other book that is not working has the same author, Dan Brown. If I put the missing space before using the Kindle-Import tool the position is working perfect, otherwise I have the 15000 pages. Check your filenames before using the import tool with the book that don't have the position working properly.

Hope it helps and thanks for your work.
    Last edited by arkzrlo; 09/19/2011 at 07:47 AM.
    So is the last number the number of pages in the book? When named properly.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I found out the problem. The script worked all along but it did not work for the book I used to test. Out of 35 books imported with the script, a bit more than half showed the book length correctly. The rest had the length at 15000 and the location slider did not work no matter how many times I tried. If one of the books in a series works, others would work and if one in the series did not work, all books in the same series would not work.
    Quote Originally Posted by arkzrlo View Post
    Hello m0ngr31

I have applied the script (last one you posted) to 11 books, 9 of them the position is perfect, but in two or them the generated file misses one space before the author name.

Example:
    original filename: The Lost Symbol - Dan Brow.mobi
    after script filename: The Lost Symbol -Dan Brown - B005725444 - 8141.mobi

The other book that is not working has the same author, Dan Brown. If I put the missing space before using the Kindle-Import tool the position is working perfect, otherwise I have the 15000 pages. Check your filenames before using the import tool with the book that don't have the position working properly.

Hope it helps and thanks for your work.
    Thank you for posting. After going through all of my books, I found two that had the same problem. Without the space there it was including the Author as part of the title, making the ASIN number the Author and the Locations number the ASIN number, meaning it didn't know what the locations number was so it just assigned it 15000.

Here is an updated script to fix that: here
    Quote Originally Posted by newcultking View Post
    So is the last number the number of pages in the book? When named properly.
    Well, it's the number of locations, not pages.
    Excellent work! Worked very well. All but one of my books imported. I'm going to take a look at why later today.

Well done!

BTW, you might want to note on the first page that restart should be a device restart and not luna restart. In case anyone installed the patch "advanced reset options."
    Last edited by VitaminD; 09/19/2011 at 11:38 AM.
    is there a separate plugin for webos for calibre? Eventually we might be able to save places between devices on sideloaded books with this? In the kindle app sometimes I am unable to get back to the library from a sideloaded book, a restart fixes, I think ths is from calibre? If you dl from manybooks.net the mobi won't dl to the tp, dl azw format and change the extension is my solution... Thank you so much for all the awesome work!
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I'll work on my script to support .azw files this week, so those of us who download from manybooks.net won't be left behind.