Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
    Took a bit of reading and re-reading, but got it working it nice to see my books with cover in the kindle reader
    Thanks for doing this. Works great, I'll read back about the covers though, got mine working before you had a cover fix.
    I modified the script slightly to output the name of the book being processing & then, I added a pause statement so that it's possible to review the script log (see kindleSide.txt - rename to .bat to execute it)

In my test case, both books made it to the ./books directory but, only one of the covers ("World w/o us") made it to ./coverart. I've attached the failing cover .png & a printscreen of the error log.

Hope that helps.

Oh, the Kindle Import tool works like a charm.
    Great job so far guys!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Will this migrate to a patch or app in Preware?

Thanks for doing this!
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    The process worked for me. Thanks a lot for the hard work to everyone involved.

I look forward to to the next step in getting the book length set.
    Works great. I got 35 books into kindle out of 37. One of the two that did not work, one would not show up in the book folder after running the script and the other shows up but the file is 0 in size. They happened to be the books that I like and I just renamed them to one of the free books downloaded from kindle store and they worked great. One minor point though, there is no large image after running the script. Is it normal? Anyway, thanks for the great work.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by agr1277 View Post
    The process worked for me. Thanks a lot for the hard work to everyone involved.

I look forward to to the next step in getting the book length set.
    The Kindle-Import tool will be in preware at some point soon. There are a couple UI tweaks that we want to make before submitting it.

The script I wrote will not be in preware because it's a windows script.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtt99 View Post
    Works great. I got 35 books into kindle out of 37. One of the two that did not work, one would not show up in the book folder after running the script and the other shows up but the file is 0 in size. They happened to be the books that I like and I just renamed them to one of the free books downloaded from kindle store and they worked great. One minor point though, there is no large image after running the script. Is it normal? Anyway, thanks for the great work.
    Yeah some files will not work, it's just a problem with mobi2mobi. If it doesn't go, just manually rename the file and hope for the best. Try reconverting them in calibre if you want.

There are no large images because if they are large in the Kindle app, they will mess up what it looks like. That's why I've resized them to be exact size that the kindle app was made fore.
    Im going to sound like one of the "gimme gimme " guys but still would you please update the first post with links and a "how to" explanation. It would make understanding whats happening and what to do much easier.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by docnas View Post
    Im going to sound like one of the "gimme gimme " guys but still would you please update the first post with links and a "how to" explanation. It would make understanding whats happening and what to do much easier.
    Sure thing
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Ok guys, here is the updated version my batch file. This version will support book lengths! Thanks to nj for figuring this out for me!!

You'll want to de-register your Kindle, re-register, run this script, copy to your TP, then run Kindle-Import.

Here you go
    newcultking and atraum like this.
    When I was reading the converted books, the location sliders did not work consistently. As someone already mentioned, the location of every book is 15000. When moved, the slider showed location change but the page stayed the same. Sometimes the page changed but most of the time not. Location search also the same. Sometimes, it moved to new location entered, but most of the it it did not. There did not seem to be a way to move to the end or any location besides beginning. Thanks for your work.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtt99 View Post
    When I was reading the converted books, the location sliders did not work consistently. As someone already mentioned, the location of every book is 15000. When moved, the slider showed location change but the page stayed the same. Sometimes the page changed but most of the time not. Location search also the same. Sometimes, it moved to new location entered, but most of the it it did not. There did not seem to be a way to move to the end or any location besides beginning. Thanks for your work.
    Read my post just above yours. This will fix that issue
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Absolutely brilliant, thanks so much for making what you would think be an easy task actually easy. Did want to at least let you know that like many others when running your .bat file I do run into an error that pops up in Win7. The error indicates it is a "mobi2mobi.exe - Bad Image" error and gives details on a .dll "either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support."

When all is said and done I have to "OK" the error several times, it builds some temp files in the directory and then goes away and removes all temp files it creates. The ending error in cmd is Gave a fake ASIN number to: TITLE OF THE BOOK. It's new number is NUMBER.

Although I'm not sure how it is cross referencing the ASIN number the number it gave my book is B006117622 and the number listed on Amazon is B002LH5BOU.

To be honest it doesn't really matter to me because the one title I tested it on was appears to be created accurately as well as it's cover.

Thanks again I appreciate all your efforts and that of tompe, Kevin Bosch, kjhenrie and nj. If there is any additional info I can supply to help make the "errors" I ran into disappear for other please do not hesitate to ask!
    The page number doesn't seem to be working properly. I have the right number of pages but when i click on the screen to go to the next page, it is the next page but the page counter jumps forward 10 or so pages. Seems to change with each page turn.
    This worked perfectly for me. I do have one question. I scanned the thread, but didn't find the answer. If I want these books on other touchpads or kindle devices, is there a way to do that so that whispersync will work. Is it as simple as copying the files?
    Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
    Yeah some files will not work, it's just a problem with mobi2mobi. If it doesn't go, just manually rename the file and hope for the best. Try reconverting them in calibre if you want.

There are no large images because if they are large in the Kindle app, they will mess up what it looks like. That's why I've resized them to be exact size that the kindle app was made fore.
    Thank you so much for creating this. I too ran into the problem of only 5 of 10 mobi files converting. I tried renaming the files to follow the convention in the OP but that didn't seem to help. I tried using Calibre and converting mobi to mobi but the new file came out a different size and didn't even create a new file (with a file size of 0) in the books folder. What are some of the factors that might prevent a file from being converted? Is there a way to use Calibre to convert mobi to mobi that will result in a converted file that is the same size as the original? The good news is, of the 5 files I converted, all were correctly read by the ipk installed through preware. Thanks!

EDIT: When I placed the mobi files that wouldn't convert in the correct folder on the TP, the Kindle Import app read them in just fine. The only issue is that the books show up in my Kindle library and can be read but the cover isn't visible so there's no way to distinguish one book from another. How can I create the cover image(s)?
    Last edited by sincitybronze; 09/18/2011 at 05:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by agr1277 View Post
    The page number doesn't seem to be working properly. I have the right number of pages but when i click on the screen to go to the next page, it is the next page but the page counter jumps forward 10 or so pages. Seems to change with each page turn.
    Are you using the script I updated this morning or the one from yesterday?
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nechasin View Post
    This worked perfectly for me. I do have one question. I scanned the thread, but didn't find the answer. If I want these books on other touchpads or kindle devices, is there a way to do that so that whispersync will work. Is it as simple as copying the files?
    At this time, when you try to hit the refresh button to check for updates on the farthest read position, it gives an error. I'm not sure if it's just that the Kindle app is crippled or we need to change something in the database. It's something I want so I'm going to work on it.
    newcultking likes this.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sincitybronze View Post
    Thank you so much for creating this. I too ran into the problem of only 5 of 10 mobi files converting. I tried renaming the files to follow the convention in the OP but that didn't seem to help. I tried using Calibre and converting mobi to mobi but the new file came out a different size and didn't even create a new file (with a file size of 0) in the books folder. What are some of the factors that might prevent a file from being converted? Is there a way to use Calibre to convert mobi to mobi that will result in a converted file that is the same size as the original? The good news is, of the 5 files I converted, all were correctly read by the ipk installed through preware. Thanks!

EDIT: When I placed the mobi files that wouldn't convert in the correct folder on the TP, the Kindle Import app read them in just fine. The only issue is that the books show up in my Kindle library and can be read but the cover isn't visible so there's no way to distinguish one book from another. How can I create the cover image(s)?
    Take the original .mobi files and run them through calibre again, not the 0KB ones because there are no data in those ones.

Read the first post in this thread. I went back and updated it this morning to tell you what size you'll need for the images. You'll have to have them be the correct sizes and named the same as your mobi files except -medium.jpg and -small.jpg instead of .mobi

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by atraum View Post
    Absolutely brilliant, thanks so much for making what you would think be an easy task actually easy. Did want to at least let you know that like many others when running your .bat file I do run into an error that pops up in Win7. The error indicates it is a "mobi2mobi.exe - Bad Image" error and gives details on a .dll "either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support."

When all is said and done I have to "OK" the error several times, it builds some temp files in the directory and then goes away and removes all temp files it creates. The ending error in cmd is Gave a fake ASIN number to: TITLE OF THE BOOK. It's new number is NUMBER.

Although I'm not sure how it is cross referencing the ASIN number the number it gave my book is B006117622 and the number listed on Amazon is B002LH5BOU.

To be honest it doesn't really matter to me because the one title I tested it on was appears to be created accurately as well as it's cover.

Thanks again I appreciate all your efforts and that of tompe, Kevin Bosch, kjhenrie and nj. If there is any additional info I can supply to help make the "errors" I ran into disappear for other please do not hesitate to ask!
    I'm not sure why it's throwing that error. Can you try downloading it again? Maybe it got corrupt or something. Let me know.

The ASIN numbers are randomly generated. We gain nothing by having legitimate ASIN numbers at this time. As long as the format is correct it should work fine. I spent a lot of time writing a script a few months ago that would download the correct ASIN numbers from amazon, but it was a waste of time because fake ones work just as well