webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  TouchPad Patches > Virtual keyboard layouts patches with arrow keys
Virtual keyboard layouts patches with arrow keys
Like Tree66Likes

Old 09/05/2011, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

01/12/12: So, what do we have here? Yep, it's version 1.0.5 of the patching script that brings webOS 3.0.5 support (both device and emulator) and some major bug fixes. The azertyarr, qwertzarr and qwertyarr didn't make it to this release as they are no longer supported (I've updated their command line script though). That's all. Go download it, install (no need to uninstall the previous version), enjoy, and don't forget to hit the "Donate" button.

11/27/11: We've reached more than 3000 downloads by now (it's not like the 1700 downloads over two weeks in the other thread, but we didn't reach the front page, right? ).
I've updated the IPKs to v1.0.2 which can be installed using Preware/Internalz (yes, you can update your existing layout patches using these). It's still not in Preware feeds, but we're working on that too. WRNING: The patches will restart the device without warning, so don't do anything important on your TouchPad while installing the patches!
I also decided to drop the support for azertyarr, qwertyarr and qwertzarr and they won't be updated to enable installation through Preware. Use the arrows or arrowscorn instead (I haven't removed them though, so you can install them using WOSQI or the command line method if you insist).
Note that my packages aren't compatible with the IPKs in the other thread and you'll have to uninstall them using WOSQI before installing any of the IPKs in this thread (DO NOT try uninstalling using Preware or the uninstaller provided in the other thread (because the uninstaller doesn't remove the package itself. It only reverts the patch changes)).

11/20/11: Thanks to fun_olivier's suggestion, I've updated the packages and now you can use up and down arrows too in the patches that has arrow keys. Just tap the Shift button and the right and left arrow keys will become up and down arrow keys. Tap again (or any key), and they will return back to normal.

11/17/11: Thanks to Jason Robitaille (the creator of WOSQI) we now have the ability to simplify the installation of the patches through WOSQI with ipk files. If you want to use this method, follow the updated instructions. Note that the installation can be made only throgh WOSQI. DO NOT try to install through Preware/Internalz because it won't work. Also, be patient and don't kill WOSQI during the process, remember that it might take up to 10 minutes.

11/13/11: Thanks to Maverickz's "silly question" I finally found the navigation keys. The FAQ has been updated and I will update the existing packages with arrow keys ASAP. Update: I've updated some of the packages with left and right arrow keys on the sides of the numbers row. I couldn't update the others (like the Vietnamese layout, for ex.) because they use the free keys on the numbers row for letters or accents. Maybe someone who's familiar with these layout can make the changes so the layout could remain useful and comfortable with the addition of the arrow keys. Note that the arrow keys won't look and won't act as arrow keys on the emulator.

11/01/11: We saw some people that have published over the internet the patching script and/or some of the packages in this post with no credit and/or with credit to themselves, so we decided to release the script under the MIT license. Please read the license section below and follow the terms.

10/19/2011: All the packages have been updated and they are now compatible with 3.0.4. We still have some problem with the language code patching because HP changed the code of the keyboard languages list and we didn't adapt it to the 3.0.4's Emulator image, but we wanted you to have your keyboards back ASAP so we released it as it is now.

10/18/2011: The patches aren't yet compatible with the 3.0.4 update. I don't own a Touchpad so it'll take some time to release an updated script (unless Dmitry (which owns a TouchPad) will do it himself), after I'll be able to download the new Doctor (the link in the Doctors wiki page is broken). Dmitry has released an updated version of the script. I'll update the packages in this post ASAP and remove this paragraph. Until then, don't try to use the packages in this post on 3.0.4 or you'll get your TouchPad stuck without GUI.

Update: Dmitry has released the regional patch that we were working on. Swedish package updated. For more information about regional characters and language code patch, read the updated wiki page.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please read the entire post carefully before asking questions.

Ok, here we go:

About a month ago, Dmitry Silaev (Compvir) found a way to patch the TouchPad's webOS's GUI main executable (LunaSysMgr) and wrote the wiki page that describes his work: Changing keyboard layout on Touchpad - WebOS Internals
After a little while he created a shell script that makes the job much more easier. Then I worked on making the system to recognize characters that are other than A-Z as regional characters. In this thread I'll post keyboard layouts and the installation instructions. If you want a keyboard layout that isn't listed here (at the end of this post), just ask for it and I'll try to do my best.

Let's begin.

First of all, you must enable developer mode on your TouchPad. To do this, just tap the Just Type and enter this code: webos20090606
The developer mode application will appear in the search results. Open it and turn on developer mode, DO NOT set a password. It is recommended to restart your device after that.
Install Preware if it isn't already installed: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

Now, there are two methods that can be used for the installation of the patches. The simple way is the IPK method with WOSQI (will do it for most of the users). The command line method is for more advanced users who wants to install custom layouts that are not provided in this post or to install more than one patch as I've shortly described it here.

The command line method:
You will need some Linux command line tool (like novaterm in the official SDK, the WOSQI (webOS Quick Install) command line tool, etc.) to access the device's Linux operating system later on this guide.

- Download the layout you want from the links at the end of this post.
- Create a folder named keypatch (lower case) wherever you want on your hard drive and unzip into it the contents of the file you've downloaded.
- Connect your TouchPad to your computer and select the USB Drive option on the TouchPad's screen.
- Copy the keypatch folder to your TouchPad.
- Disconnect your TouchPad.
- Reconnect your TouchPad but this time hit "Cancel" on the USB Drive prompt (if you're using the "Just Charge by default" patch, you won't see the USB drive prompt, so just skip this part).
- If you're using novaterm, run it and click "Connect". If you're using WOSQI, select "Linux Commandline" from the Tools menu.
- Navigate to the patch directory by typing cd /media/internal/keypatch and press Enter.
- Apply the patch by typing sh patch.sh patch XXX.json and press Enter (XXX is the name of the keyboard layout file you've downloaded (for example: if you've downloaded the "dvorak.keypatch.zip", then XXX should be dvorak [lower case only])).
Be patient. This process might take up to 10 minutes. The device will restart the GUI after the patching, so don't panic.
- When done, close Novaterm/WOSQI. If the patch description says that it patches the language code, it's recommended to restart your TouchPad to apply changes.
- the instructions continues in the "Command line and IPK continuation" section (after the IPK method section).

The IPK method:
1) Download the layout you want from the links at the end of this post (use the IPK link next to the layout name). You can download the IPKs directly to your device (Having troubles downloading directly to your device? Check post #374 and skip to step 9).
2) If you've downloaded the IPK to your computer, continue the process using WOSQI as described in the next steps; otherwise, just skip to step 6.
3) Connect your TouchPad to your computer and hit "Cancel" on the USB Drive prompt (if you're using the "Just Charge by default" patch, you won't see the USB drive prompt, so just skip this part).
4) Open webOS Quick Install and click on the + button. Navigate to the folder that you've downloaded the IPK file into it and select the IPK file.
5) Click on the "Install" button (skip to step 9).
6) for those who've downloaded the IPK directly to their device, you can install it using Preware as described in step 7, or using Internalz (if you have it installed on your TouchPad) as described in step 8.
7) Using Preware: open Preware, select "Install Package" from the app menu, click "Browse", enter the downloads folder, select the IPK file, click OK and install it (skip to step 9).
8) Using Internalz: open Internalz, navigate to "/media/internal/downloads", tap on the IPK file, select "Open" in the context menu and click on "Install" in the window that will pop-up.
9) Be patient. This process might take up to 10 minutes. DO NOT kill WOSQI/Preware during the process! The device will restart the GUI after the patching without warning, so don't panic.
- If you're installing using WOSQI, close WOSQI when done.

Command line and IPK continuation:
- If the patch is not for the QWERTY layout, open Regional Settings and add a keyboard with the layout you patched.
- If you want to use English QWERTY as well, just add an English QWERTY keyboard too.

FAQ:
Q: Will the patch affect the physical Bluetoosh keyboard too?
- A: No. The patch affects only the virtual keyboard.
Q: I've installed the Dvorak patch but I can't find the Dvorak layout in Regional Settings. Why?
- A: As the patch's description says, the patch is applied to the AZERTY layout. Add a keyboard with an AZERTY layout to use the patched keyboard.
Q: I've installed the Greek patch and I want to use an English keyboard as well, how can I do that?
- A: The Greek patch is applied to the AZERTY layout. If you want to use English keyboard, just go to Regional Settings and add an English QWERTY keyboard too.
Q: Can you add navigation keys (like Home, End, arrow keys) to the virtual keyboard?
- A: Yes, it is possible. Some of the packages already has right and left arrow keys. If you want to add navigation keys to layout that doesn't have them, these are the codes: 0010 - Home key, 0011 - End key, 0012 - left arrow key, 0013 - up arrow key, 0014 - right arrow key, 0015 - down arrow key, 0016 - PgUp key, 0017 - PgDn key. These are special keys (i.e. the type should be S, not C or V). Note that most of them won't act like navigation keys on the emulator.
Q: Can you make minor visual changes (like replacing the $ sign on the 4 key with the sign for the UK users)?
- A: Yes, I can. But as you probably understand, I'm not getting paid for this job, so I can't waste my time on creating a new layout and testing it just for something you can get through a secondary key (for this example: the R secondary key).
Q: How can I revert the patch's changes?
- A: If you've used the IPK method to install the patch, just open Preware, navigate to Installed packages > Patches, select the keyboard patch and click Remove. run WOSQI and select "Device Management" from the tools menu. Then check the patch's checkbox and click "uninstall" (DO NOT kill WOSQI during the process)
If you've used the command line method, just follow the installation instructions and type sh patch.sh revert instead of sh patch.sh patch XXX.json.

License:
The patching script:
Quote:
Copyright (C) 2011 by Dmitry V. Silaev aka Compvir (compvir@compvir.com), Isaac Garzn aka isagar2004.

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
The layouts:

All the layouts that are without credit (which have been created by me) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Keyboard layouts (Compatible with webOS 3.0.0, 3.0.2, 3.0.4 and 3.0.5):
- arrows.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.0.5) - with arrow keys - Regular QWERTY, QWERTZ and AZERTY keyboards with arrow keys on the sides of the numbers row for those who wants to patch them all. Patches the QWERTY, QWERTZ and AZERTY layouts (Screenshot).
- arrowscorn.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.0.5) - with arrow keys - Regular QWERTY, QWERTZ and AZERTY keyboards with arrow keys on the right side of the numbers row (johnsonx42's idea). Patches the QWERTY, QWERTZ and AZERTY layouts (Screenshot).
- azertyarr.keypatch.zip - with arrow keys - Regular French AZERTY keyboard with arrow keys on the sides of the numbers row. Patches the AZERTY layout.
- danish.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.0.5) - Updated with arrow keys - Danish keyboard layout (Regular QWERTY with ). Patches the QWERTY layout, regional characters and language code (Screenshot).
- dvorak.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.0.5) - Updated with arrow keys - Dvorak English keyboard layout. Patches the AZERTY layout (Screenshot).
--- tabdvorak.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.0.5) - Updated with arrow keys - Dvorak English keyboard layout redesigned for tablet use (bigger keys than the previous layout, etc.). Patches the AZERTY layout (Screenshot).
- far.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.0.5) - Farsi keyboard layout created by mohammadali (You'll need a Farsi font installed before trying to use this patch in the command line method (The IPK installs the font automatically)). Patches the AZERTY layout, regional characters and language code (Screenshot).
- german.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.0.5) - Updated with arrow keys - Adds 3 useful keys () for German users. Patches the QWERTZ layout and regional characters (Screenshot).
--- tabgerman.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.0.5) - Better designed German keyboard layout created by dodnet. Patches the QWERZ layout and regional characters (Screenshot 1, Screenshot 2).
- greek.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.0.5) - Updated with arrow keys - Greek keyboard layout (updated with accented characters thanks to jim_ntua_gr). Patches the AZERTY layout, regional characters and language code (Screenshot).
- hebreg.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.0.5) - Updated with arrow keys - Hebrew keyboard layout (You'll need a Hebrew font installed before trying to use this patch in the command line method (The IPK installs the font automatically)). Patches the AZERTY layout, regional characters and language code (Screenshot).
- norwegian.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.0.5) - Updated with arrow keys - Adds 3 useful keys () for Norwegian users. Patches the QWERTY layout, regional characters and language code (Screenshot).
--- tabnorwegian.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.0.5) - Norwegian layout redesigned based on dodnet's work with the German layout. Patches the QWERTY layout, regional characters and language code (Screenshot).
- New polish.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.0.5) - with arrow keys - Polish keyboard layout created by Pelcu. It's regular QWERTY with some special Polish characters (ą, ę, ć, , ł, ń, ś, ź, ż) added to the extended sets of the corresponding main letters. Patches the QWERTY layout (Screenshot).
--- New polishalt.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.0.5) - with arrow keys - Another Polish keyboard layout created by Pelcu that has the special characters via the secondary keys (+=[]) and has "@" and ".com" always on. Patches the QWERTY layout (Screenshot).
- qwertyarr.keypatch.zip - with arrow keys - Regular English QWERTY keyboard with arrow keys on the sides of the numbers row. Patches the QWERTY layout (Screenshot).
- qwertzarr.keypatch.zip - with arrow keys - Regular German QWERTZ keyboard with arrow keys on the sides of the numbers row. Patches the QWERTZ layout.
- rus.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.0.5) - Russian keyboard layout created by Dmitry (Compvir). Patches the AZERTY layout, regional characters and language code (Screenshot).
- swedish.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.0.5) - Updated with arrow keys - Adds to the QWERTY keyboard 3 useful keys () for Swedish users. Patches the QWERTY layout, regional characters and language code (Screenshot).
- thai.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.0.5) - Updated with arrow keys - Thai keyboard layout created by qsone (You'll need a Thai font installed before trying to use this patch in the command line method (The IPK installs the font automatically)). Patches the AZERTY layout, regional characters and language code.
- thumb.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.0.5) - Updated with arrow keys - "Thumb" English keyboard layout. Patches the AZERTY layout (check this post)).
--- New qwerty-thumb.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.5.0.1) - with arrow keys - Better designed English "Thumb" keyboard layout created by gerzhwin. Adds also the small middot (), the real minus (?), the single French quotation marks (‹›), the vertical line (|) and the em dash (—). Patches the AZERTY layout and regional characters (Screenshot).
--- New qwertz-thumb.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.5.0.1) - with arrow keys - A Greman (QWERTZ) "Thumb" keyboard layout created by gerzhwin. Adds also the small middot (), the real minus (?), the single French quotation marks (‹›), the vertical line (|) and the en dash (–). Patches the AZERTY layout and regional characters (Screenshot).
- vietnamese.keypatch.zip (IPK v1.0.5) - Vietnamese keyboard layout (You'll need a Vietnamese font installed before trying to use this patch in the command line method (The IPK installs the font automatically)). Patches the AZERTY layout, regional characters and language code (Screenshot).

Support:
We worked hard to get this working for you to enjoy and we're still working on releasing an updated script when there are new updates to webOS. If you like these patches and want to support our work or to thank us, please consider making a donation.
Me:
Dmitry:

Last edited by isagar2004; 07/29/2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: 3.0.5 update, New thumb layouts
isagar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ktessner, Rnp, docnas and 33 others like this.
Old 09/05/2011, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nice guide! Is there a split keyboard for landscape?
Philistine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2011, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
Nice guide! Is there a split keyboard for landscape?
Sorry, but it's not possible to use different keyboards for landscape and portrait. Not until HP will decide to add such thing to LunaSysMgr.

Like my work? Want to support it? Want to thank me?
Thanked By: dealmaster00
Old 09/05/2011, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Very nice with the arrow keys. That will be a huge selling point. Is there an "up" arrow, although I realize that is less important than left to right.
ratchet27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2011, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for this. I am having a problem though.

I'm getting "patch.sh: source: line 2: funcs.sh: not found" when I run it. I have checked spelling with what I've typed.
tannim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2011, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
Very nice with the arrow keys. That will be a huge selling point. Is there an "up" arrow, although I realize that is less important than left to right.
Arrow keys? I don't know what are you talking about. The only thing close to arrow is the shift button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannim View Post
Thank you for this. I am having a problem though.

I'm getting "patch.sh: source: line 2: funcs.sh: not found" when I run it. I have checked spelling with what I've typed.
You're right. My bad. Download the fixed file and follow the instructions again.

Last edited by isagar2004; 01/10/2012 at 03:05 AM.
Thanked by dealmaster00, wascht
Old 09/05/2011, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Add arrow keys to the default QWERTY, should help with flash games.
Link2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2011, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link2999 View Post
Add arrow keys to the default QWERTY, should help with flash games.
It's not possible.

Old 09/05/2011, 07:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Really? Darn. Would be so awesome.
Link2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by derausgewanderte likes this.
Old 09/05/2011, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link2999 View Post
Really? Darn. Would be so awesome.
If it was up to me, I'd happily do it, but it's up to HP.

Old 09/05/2011, 08:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks man, that time it worked fine : ) One more question. If I were to have a physical keyboard, would this dvorak patch affect how it types or is it only a software keyboard layout?

On my android tablet I changed the hardware keyboard layout but it doesn't affect the onscreen keyboard. Since I was only really worried about the hardware it wasn't a problem though.
Old 09/05/2011, 09:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannim View Post
Thanks man, that time it worked fine : ) One more question. If I were to have a physical keyboard, would this dvorak patch affect how it types or is it only a software keyboard layout?

On my android tablet I changed the hardware keyboard layout but it doesn't affect the onscreen keyboard. Since I was only really worried about the hardware it wasn't a problem though.
The patch affects only the virtual keyboard. The physical Bluetooth keyboard requires different kind of patching that I don't see myself working on in the near future (can't speak for Dmitry, however).

Old 09/05/2011, 10:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ah, still, thanks for this patch

If I were going to get a physical keyboard soon, I'd need a layout patch for the physical keyboard. I cannot type on that awful qwerty anymore. It was literally designed to slow typists down back in the late 1800s. I can't figure out why people are still USING it.

Since I do not see myself getting a physical keyboard for this device anytime soon, it is not so much of an issue. There is nothing decent, software wise, to write on for this tablet currently(Quick(Joke)Office for the lose :P) so for now this is good.

I gave up Qwerty a long time ago and it saved my wrists for writing.

Now I have a software dvorak onscreen layout with qwerty hardware layout on this WebOS tablet and a qwerty onscreen layout with dvorak hardware layout on my generic nameless android piece of crap tablet. Now if I could just merge the two together!
Old 09/06/2011, 01:30 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks a lot for the patch. We really appreciate all of the effort you've put into this and we hate to have to pester you further about this, but my wife and I tried it today, and we found it surprisingly difficult to type with. It seemed much worse than the original qwerty. We were a bit puzzled by this since we are both Dvorak typists. However, examining the layout closely I believe we determined what the problem is. Because of the differences in the layout with Dvorak you have to squeeze more keys per line than the default keyboard. This solved one problem but it created a new one in that it broke the diagonal pattern of the keys. For instance, with qwerty the 'Q' key, the 'A' key and the 'Z' are at a diagonal and the same finger types all three. This means that the 'A' key is located just between the 'Q' and 'W' keys above. While the 'Z' key falls between the 'A' and 'S' key above.The pattern is repeated for the rest of the letters. The same structure holds true on the Dvorak keyboard and its part of what our fingers get used to in touch typing. Since the layout you designed doesnt have this pattern it makes it very difficult to touch type.

When we looked at your picture of the layout earlier it looked fine to us because it contains every key and they are in the right order. It wasn't until we tried using it that we experienced the problem. Since we know this is a real challenge (and we feel bad about not catching this problem earlier, since youve generously done so much work already) we tried to see if we could reorganize the keyboard so that it preserved the diagonal pattern while including all of the significant keys at roughly the same scale as the default keyboard. Not an easy task since compromises had to be made. After all, the default keyboard drops a few keys such as the ';' from the home row and relocates them elsewhere, whereas on Dvorak that's the 'S' key and therefore not eligible for relocation.

The drawing attached below includes our suggested changes. The primary changes are:

1. From the top row we removed the '? /' key and split it over the comma and period keys just as the default keyboard does. The delete button may be slightly larger in order to preserve the diagonal pattern.

2. From the middle (home) row: we suggest ensuring that the 'a' key is pretty much in the same position as it is in the default keyboard (moving it over slightly from where you currently have it). This ensures the diagonal relationship between the 'apostrophe' key, the 'a' key, and the 'semi-colon/colon' key (equivalent to Q A Z on qwerty). This also entails eliminating the "-" hyphen key and relocating it to the last row. We suggest making the enter key on this line a little smaller to accommodate these changes.

3. For the bottom row we suggest squeezing in all the keys just as you did (perhaps by playing with the size of the shift keys), only making sure to preserve the diagonal pattern [of the 'apostrophe' key, the 'a' key, and the 'semi-colon/colon' key]. This seems difficult since with qwerty the default touchpad keyboard was able to drop keys from this row and relocate them, but we can't do that with letters. We thought about relocating Z, but even Z seemed too important to move and still preserve some semblance of typing on Dvorak. (On second thought please see the P.S. below). We think that it is possible by perhaps reducing the size of the shift buttons. However, this may not be necessary if you think the pattern can be preserved without making any changes to this row as you have it now.

4. The space-bar row is essentially the same as yours; we only added the 'hyphen' key we had removed from the home row above and placed it near the space bar.

5. We noticed your change to the number row and thought that was a good idea so we do not suggest any changes to this row.

I think this is all the changes we thought would be necessary to solve the problem. We will donate to the cause and we are so appreciative of your hard work and expertise. If you have questions about our design Im happy to clarify anything.

P.S. It occurs to me to add that there is one more possibility for the bottom row (addressed under number 3. above). The reason we didn't originally drop the semi-colon is because we believed there was little we could gain from it since we can't simply shift over all the other keys in the row. However, a possible compromise would be to drop the semi-colon key and then replace it with Z. This would put Z in the same position as it is in Qwerty, and isn't really Dvorak, but it only requires moving one key to the opposite position where it can be typed with the same finger (on the opposite hand) while leaving the rest of the row untouched. This would mean that the bottom row would now have 11 keys total (including the two shift keys) the same as the default keyboard meaning they could be just as large as the keys on the default keyboard. This might be a controversial compromise, but I imagine it might be preferable to squeezing 12 keys into the row just to leave the keyboard unchanged.

So to be clear: with this compromise the last row would be: 'shift' 'z' 'q' 'j' 'k' 'x' 'b' 'm' 'w' 'v' 'shift'. The 'Z' key would be located between the 'A' and 'O' keys in the row above and so on and so forth.

I apologize for the length of this post and for any confusion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dvorak for Touchpad Design.jpg (183.1 KB, 273 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by hzhp422; 09/06/2011 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Misspelled Dvorak in Title. Eeek!
hzhp422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2011, 02:10 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isagar2004 View Post
The patch affects only the virtual keyboard. The physical Bluetooth keyboard requires different kind of patching that I don't see myself working on in the near future
Even I fake the virtual QWERTY KB (I do'nt use) to give an AZERTY layout ?
Does'nt the bluetooth KB depend on the virtual QWERTY,s ?
http://forums.precentral.net/3120593-post233.html
Thanks

Last edited by guynux; 09/06/2011 at 02:21 AM.
guynux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2011, 05:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

Why is there two dots below "w" and "e"-button on the Swedish keyboard? Is there a reason or can you remove them?
ElecTriXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2011, 08:17 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzhp422 View Post
Thanks a lot for the patch. We really appreciate all of the effort you've put into this and we hate to have to pester you further about this, but my wife and I tried it today, and we found it surprisingly difficult to type with. It seemed much worse than the original qwerty. We were a bit puzzled by this since we are both Dvorak typists. However, examining the layout closely I believe we determined what the problem is. Because of the differences in the layout with Dvorak you have to squeeze more keys per line than the default keyboard. This solved one problem but it created a new one in that it broke the diagonal pattern of the keys. For instance, with qwerty the 'Q' key, the 'A' key and the 'Z' are at a diagonal and the same finger types all three. This means that the 'A' key is located just between the 'Q' and 'W' keys above. While the 'Z' key falls between the 'A' and 'S' key above.The pattern is repeated for the rest of the letters. The same structure holds true on the Dvorak keyboard and it’s part of what our fingers get used to in touch typing. Since the layout you designed doesn’t have this pattern it makes it very difficult to touch type.

When we looked at your picture of the layout earlier it looked fine to us because it contains every key and they are in the right order. It wasn't until we tried using it that we experienced the problem. Since we know this is a real challenge (and we feel bad about not catching this problem earlier, since you’ve generously done so much work already) we tried to see if we could reorganize the keyboard so that it preserved the diagonal pattern while including all of the significant keys at roughly the same scale as the default keyboard. Not an easy task since compromises had to be made. After all, the default keyboard drops a few keys such as the ';' from the home row and relocates them elsewhere, whereas on Dvorak that's the 'S' key and therefore not eligible for relocation.

The drawing attached below includes our suggested changes. The primary changes are:

1. From the top row we removed the '? /' key and split it over the comma and period keys just as the default keyboard does. The delete button may be slightly larger in order to preserve the diagonal pattern.

2. From the middle (home) row: we suggest ensuring that the 'a' key is pretty much in the same position as it is in the default keyboard (moving it over slightly from where you currently have it). This ensures the diagonal relationship between the 'apostrophe' key, the 'a' key, and the 'semi-colon/colon' key (equivalent to Q A Z on qwerty). This also entails eliminating the "-" hyphen key and relocating it to the last row. We suggest making the enter key on this line a little smaller to accommodate these changes.

3. For the bottom row we suggest squeezing in all the keys just as you did (perhaps by playing with the size of the shift keys), only making sure to preserve the diagonal pattern [of the 'apostrophe' key, the 'a' key, and the 'semi-colon/colon' key]. This seems difficult since with qwerty the default touchpad keyboard was able to drop keys from this row and relocate them, but we can't do that with letters. We thought about relocating Z, but even Z seemed too important to move and still preserve some semblance of typing on Dvorak. (On second thought please see the P.S. below). We think that it is possible by perhaps reducing the size of the shift buttons. However, this may not be necessary if you think the pattern can be preserved without making any changes to this row as you have it now.

4. The space-bar row is essentially the same as yours; we only added the 'hyphen' key we had removed from the home row above and placed it near the space bar.

5. We noticed your change to the number row and thought that was a good idea so we do not suggest any changes to this row.

I think this is all the changes we thought would be necessary to solve the problem. We will donate to the cause and we are so appreciative of your hard work and expertise. If you have questions about our design I’m happy to clarify anything.

P.S. It occurs to me to add that there is one more possibility for the bottom row (addressed under number 3. above). The reason we didn't originally drop the semi-colon is because we believed there was little we could gain from it since we can't simply shift over all the other keys in the row. However, a possible compromise would be to drop the semi-colon key and then replace it with Z. This would put Z in the same position as it is in Qwerty, and isn't really Dvorak, but it only requires moving one key to the opposite position where it can be typed with the same finger (on the opposite hand) while leaving the rest of the row untouched. This would mean that the bottom row would now have 11 keys total (including the two shift keys) the same as the default keyboard meaning they could be just as large as the keys on the default keyboard. This might be a controversial compromise, but I imagine it might be preferable to squeezing 12 keys into the row just to leave the keyboard unchanged.

So to be clear: with this compromise the last row would be: 'shift' 'z' 'q' 'j' 'k' 'x' 'b' 'm' 'w' 'v' 'shift'. The 'Z' key would be located between the 'A' and 'O' keys in the row above and so on and so forth.

I apologize for the length of this post and for any confusion.
I took your suggestions and did a little research that ended up with the layout I call tabDvorak. See the screenshot and the download link at the end of the first post. I tried to move the A key as you asked but it has made the keys on this row narrow as they were before, so I decided to leave it as it is. I hope you'll like what I did and find it useful.

Last edited by isagar2004; 09/06/2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09/06/2011, 08:21 AM   #18 (permalink)

I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you!

Old 09/06/2011, 08:26 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guynux View Post
Even I fake the virtual QWERTY KB (I do'nt use) to give an AZERTY layout ?
Does'nt the bluetooth KB depend on the virtual QWERTY,s ?
http://forums.precentral.net/3120593-post233.html
Thanks
No. They don't depend on each other because from the Linux's point of view the virtual keyboard isn't a keyboard at all while the physical keyboard is. That's why the physical keyboard requires a different kind of patching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElecTriXx View Post
Why is there two dots below "w" and "e"-button on the Swedish keyboard? Is there a reason or can you remove them?
It's a problem with the function that hides the extended and secondary keys. It doesn't work well all the time (You can see this kind of problem on the original QWERTY too when in secondary keys mode).
Sorry, but it's not something I can fix. The problem, however, is only cosmetic. The output is still the regular "w" and "e".

Last edited by isagar2004; 09/06/2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09/06/2011, 10:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

Is it possible to change the tab-key through JSON-file?
ElecTriXx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keyboad, layout, touchpad

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0