Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    It will...but I still think GeoStrings wouldn't be a good fit on a tablet. The whole purpose of the app is to be reminded to do something wherever you are. Most people don't lug around a tablet everywhere they go. But anyway, that's a whole separate discussion.
    I feel you, not to go too OT (sorry mods), would be cool to be able to add things from the TP and have it "sync" with the app on the phone. I wouldn't even mind this on a wifi only TP, but maybe that's because I get home and don't touch the cell again unless it's for SMS, once the Veer has 2.2 I won't even need to do that.

Just a thought.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    The only thing I was looking for was confirmation that the patch author was contacting devs to make sure it was ok. He confirmed it. I'm fine with patching the apps if the app's dev is ok with it. Palm was ok with me messing with their music app. If they weren't, the "remix" project would have never continued.
    Fair enough... I agree that contacting the original developer is good protocol, to avoid stepping on people's toes and/or duplicating work unnecessarily. But etiquette aside, I don't believe there is any legal or ethical problem with patching an application I own for my own personal use, and sharing the knowledge of how to do so with others.

I appreciate your desire as a developer to maintain control of your work, which is why I certainly encourage would-be patchers to work *with* developers, and make a good-faith effort to obtain their cooperation and/or consent. However, if a particular developer is unwilling or unable to modify their own app, I don't have any problem with someone else developing a patch for it. I understand the particular user support frustrations you've already dealt with due to webOS bugs beyond your control, so I can see why you'd be reluctant to have someone potentially "breaking" your app via patching and then unfairly complaining to *you* about it. However, as long as any patches clearly disclaim the risks, etc., I believe they serve a valuable, legitimate purpose - *especially* in those cases where someone has ceased development or otherwise "orphaned" an app themselves. If people can't work *with* a particular developer, patching is at least a legal, ethical way of working *around* them as a last resort.

--John
    Quote Originally Posted by jbennett View Post
    I understand the particular user support frustrations you've already dealt with due to webOS bugs beyond your control, so I can see why you'd be reluctant to have someone potentially "breaking" your app via patching and then unfairly complaining to *you* about it.
    And this is what I'm concerned about. This is the main reason why I think it's important to confer with the developer first. No matter how many disclaimers you include with the patch, the user is going to contact the original developer if they have issues with the app. Or worse yet, they may post a negative review in the catalog.

The fact is the patch owner is not going to extensively test the app after applying the patch. They're going to test what they think has been changed. But I've learned through experience that even a simple change can inadvertently cause harm in other parts of the code.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    And do we think that HP should be approach about any patches to webOS? Nobody has raised that prospect before.

It is surely up to the end user what they do with their device and the software running on it. (as long as it doesn't involve distribution of copyrighted material).
    **Important Reminder**

I wanted to quickly remind people using patches on 3rd party apps about the longstanding AUPT bug/limitation

Long story short, patches applied to 3rd party apps will install fine. However, when you try to uninstall it, all files that were patched will be deleted. This is a bug/limitation of the AUPT system. As a result, in most cases, the unpatched app will no longer function.

The current workaround is this:
    1. Uninstall the patch
    2. Uninstall the app
    3. Reinstall the app

And the app will function. Saved setting/data for that app will probably be erased though.

And due to the above issue, please don't install a patch on the App Catalog; you're just asking for trouble,heh.

I issue this reminder so that people won't spam my email and forum threads saying WOSQI and Internalz Pro won't uninstall a patch properly. My programs are working fine; the issue is with AUPT, which is managed by the WebOS-Internals crew, not myself. Given the AUPT scripts were designed for non-3rd-party patches, it would be unfair to harass them too.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    And do we think that HP should be approach about any patches to webOS? Nobody has raised that prospect before.

It is surely up to the end user what they do with their device and the software running on it. (as long as it doesn't involve distribution of copyrighted material).
    There have been several occasions where patches have caused issues on a webOS device. So while I think it's ok for people to patch their devices (it is their device to enhance or mess up as they please), it's also ok for HP to ask a user calling for support if they have any patches on their device and if so refuse to support their issue until they doctor their device and start with a clean slate.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    There have been several occasions where patches have caused issues on a webOS device. So while I think it's ok for people to patch their devices (it is their device to enhance or mess up as they please), it's also ok for HP to ask a user calling for support if they have any patches on their device and if so refuse to support their issue until they doctor their device and start with a clean slate.
    Absolutely. And app developers have the same right as HP to do so.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Is the plan to also send the patches to the developers of the different apps so the functionality can be included with future official catalog updates (assuming of course that the patch will allow the app to work on phones and isn't just a hack to get it work on the tablets)?
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Is the plan to also send the patches to the developers of the different apps so the functionality can be included with future official catalog updates (assuming of course that the patch will allow the app to work on phones and isn't just a hack to get it work on the tablets)?
    Smart developers would do so, yes (since it's obviously what their customers want). Or release an update which makes the patch superfluous.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    bubbahooska likes this.
    Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    right. I send send my patches to most devs. However only SplashData told me they are looking into it and will try to release a patched Version into the App Catalog.
    Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    Damn. Lastpass released a new Version today (1.75.1). The Sourcecode of this App is so "dirty" that I can't create a Patch for it. I could change the code that it runs on my TP but I can't create a patch out of it without distributing their Sourcecode (which I'm not doing).

Therefore I opened a Ticket at the Lastpass Support and ask them to either clean up the code or release my Patched Version (of course I attached it).

Keep you posted
    Could you have a look at evernote?
    It's free.
    The flixster patch is failing on my tp. Anyone else have any problems with it?
    Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    what error message do you get?

Anyway got news. Read this article: https://developer.palm.com/distribut...p?f=11&t=17285

This will help all Devs with Fullscreen Mojo Apps.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED. Problem is with the splash-scene.html file
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurec View Post
    Damn. Lastpass released a new Version today (1.75.1). The Sourcecode of this App is so "dirty" that I can't create a Patch for it. I could change the code that it runs on my TP but I can't create a patch out of it without distributing their Sourcecode (which I'm not doing).

Therefore I opened a Ticket at the Lastpass Support and ask them to either clean up the code or release my Patched Version (of course I attached it).

Keep you posted
    Hmm is it really needed for us to upgrade to a new LP version? The release notes are not really mentioning webos at all, I doubt if anything has been changed that will benefit us. I stick to the older patched version for the time being.
    Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rhodry View Post
    Hmm is it really needed for us to upgrade to a new LP version? The release notes are not really mentioning webos at all, I doubt if anything has been changed that will benefit us. I stick to the older patched version for the time being.
    I don't think so.

BTW here are the two last Answers from Lastpass:

2011-08-15 09:18
    Alex We'd asked that you don't distribute any non-officially released versions of LastPass. Our TouchPad version should be released soon, so if you are able to wait for a little longer, we will have an officially working version released. We appreciate your support and understanding. As I said, I don't have a release date ready, but it should be soon. Let me know if you need anything else.

Alex
    Lars,

We understand this is happening, which is why we are working to fix it. We appreciate you understanding our problem. Let me know if you have anymore questions or problems.

Thanks,
    Alex
    So let's hope they will be finished soon.

Anyway I'm doing the latest Version of SplashID now. Since there is a way to enable the Virual Keyboard now it will be better as the last one.
    Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    done with SplashID. I will do the Patch tomorrow morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Such a patch should not be accepted.

You will note that one of the criteria that the OP has put in place is that devs *are* asked.

That option does not go away.

Yet you're ok with Save/Restore scripts and patches to webOS ?

-- Rod
    save /restore scripts save data from apps .. they dont modify the apps themselves.

patches modify webOS apps .. made by HP/palm.. .. not 3rd party developers..

so yes im fine with regular patches & save/restore ...
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast