Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes
    Yeah, people will practically pay you to take them :-O *
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    You can get a used Pre from Craigslist for dirt cheap.
    That's one way to do it. Is it possible that someone can post the ipk or the source from PRE for the application that is being patched? I can then do what OP is talking about on Page 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Yeah, people will practically pay you to take them :-O *
    True, but that is yet another gadget that I have to maintain on top of my two touchpads, evo4g, samsung intercept, viewsonic tablet, ipad(1st Gen), two Dell Laptops, and two Media Center Desktops.
    Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_z11 View Post
    That's one way to do it. Is it possible that someone can post the ipk or the source from PRE for the application that is being patched? I can then do what OP is talking about on Page 1.
    I don't think this is legal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurec View Post
    So I guess only way to patch OS is to buy PRE and download the Application you want to patch on your PRE. Can you download app for PRE without activating the phone?

I am sorry, but can you help me understand why it is illegal?
    So I guess only way to patch OS is to buy PRE and download the Application you want to patch on your PRE. Can you download app for PRE without activating the phone?

I am sorry, but can you help me understand why it is illegal?
    Sounds like you aren't talking about patching the OS but a vendor application which I would think is not legal without having been granted permission. A patch to a app is one thing, the app itself, modified or not, is another.
    You're right. Completely illegal. That's what closed source means. It is legal to patch them, not legal to distribute them or any source files in whole.
    Hmm, I installed the version from my Pre 2... I should have known to test the 1.4.5 version since I had to create a separate patch for it. The only difference I know about is the appinfo.json. I'll post back in a bit.

Edit: Ugh, does the same thing for me. Comparing the apps, they made quite a few changes that are just code style and cleanup, so it's going to be take some digging to find out what's causing this. It has to be differences between the Mojo framework bewteen 1.4.5 and 2.1/3.0.
    I tried it with my Pre 2 YouTube and it worked fine. I guess the 1.4.5 version is actually different.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    You're right. Completely illegal. That's what closed source means. It is legal to patch them, not legal to distribute them or any source files in whole.
    How different this is compare to sideload APK in Adroid platform? YOu have copy of the app in IPK form for Pre which is another WebOS device, and you are putting IPK on a server, so people without PRE can download the app, and patch it using the method described by OP?

If I am the developer of PRE App, I would be delighted to have more people using my app which means more advertise revenue.
    Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    that depends on the license type off the App.
    I am sorry, but I am not sure why would developer care for the freely available app, but I guess I will have to get the PRE Phone if I want to run flixter or any other apps which is available on PRE.
    Has anyone looked into IM+, Mundu IM, or Agile Messenger? Last time I asked, was told to install the messaging plugins which don't work on TouchPad and still don't seem to be anytime soon. So badly need some MSN on my TouchPad. I'll be happy to contact the developers if any of you deem that you could do so on any of these 3 apps..
    Is it possible to make all of the mojo apps made touchpad full screen compatible patches available in preware? I'm looking to do this for some apps possibly and want to make sure my efforts aren't wasted on stuff already done or in progress because they are overlooked because they are deep in this or even in another thread somewhere.

EDIT: Also you should be aware that splashdata has taken the compatibility patch and have made it so people have to buy the app again even though it is the mojo app with the patch applied. This is wrong on so many levels and I hope we as a community take offense of this and don't pay them more money. I would like to have the patch to apply as I already paid for the mojo app.
    Last edited by StoneRyno; 09/14/2011 at 01:47 PM.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    cjf243 likes this.
    So do you need to have an activated Palm Pre(on a cell network) to download apps or can it connect to the internet via Wifi and not be activated as a phone?

If its the second then buying a beat up one on Ebay might be worth it so I could use it to get the palm pre apps on my Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post

EDIT: Also you should be aware that splashdata has taken the compatibility patch and have made it so people have to buy the app again even though it is the mojo app with the patch applied. This is wrong on so many levels and I hope we as a community take offense of this and don't pay them more money. I would like to have the patch to apply as I already paid for the mojo app.
    Someone posted the email address to someone at splash data. If you email them letting them know you had purchased it once, they will give you a one time download link to the program via a promo code link. It expires by a certain date or once you use it. I just got my touchpad at the end part of last month and they honored this. I no longer have the email address I used, but it is posted somewhere here on the forum. Edit: in fact I think it was posted somewhere in this thread.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Is it possible to make all of the mojo apps made touchpad full screen compatible patches available in preware? I'm looking to do this for some apps possibly and want to make sure my efforts aren't wasted on stuff already done or in progress because they are overlooked because they are deep in this or even in another thread somewhere.
    Right now it is not possible. Rod told me maybe in the future but I'm sure he will say something about it tomorrow.

I'm glad to hearthat another Dev is doing this. If you tell me what Apps you are going to do I will put it in the first posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Incindium View Post
    So do you need to have an activated Palm Pre(on a cell network) to download apps or can it connect to the internet via Wifi and not be activated as a phone?

If its the second then buying a beat up one on Ebay might be worth it so I could use it to get the palm pre apps on my Touchpad.
    Does not have to be operating on a cell network. We have two original Pres operating over WiFi no problem.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    In case anyone is on the fence, a patch for the Evernote app would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kynetx View Post
    In case anyone is on the fence, a patch for the Evernote app would be greatly appreciated.
    In this post, PainToad said he already did this, perhaps if you asked he could provide some guidance.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I can do the verizon DVR app. I have some app experience:

Free App: Press Your Luck.....
    http://tinyurl.com/455kwr6