Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    save /restore scripts save data from apps .. they dont modify the apps themselves.

patches modify webOS apps .. made by HP/palm.. .. not 3rd party developers..

so yes im fine with regular patches & save/restore ...
    Why should HP/Palm have any less rights to protect their intellectual property, than 3rd party developers? Why the double standard?
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Why should HP/Palm have any less rights to protect their intellectual property, than 3rd party developers? Why the double standard?
    They don't. No double standard. The same copyright law is being applied (and adhered to) in both cases. No redistribution of application source code. Patches only.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    They don't. No double standard. The same copyright law is being applied (and adhered to) in both cases. No redistribution of application source code. Patches only.

-- Rod
    I know that is your stand and I totally agree. My post was in response to 'sketch42', since his reply to your previous post, seemed to suggest his making a distinction between what he thinks was fine for HP/Palm apps/OS and for 3rd party apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I know that is your stand and I totally agree. My post was in response to 'sketch42', since his reply to your previous post, seemed to suggest his making a distinction between what he thinks was fine for HP/Palm apps/OS and for 3rd party apps.
    There is a distinction. I won't derail this thread further to speak about it. You can find me on twitter if you want to understand why. I may start a new thread just for the discussion, but am unsure

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I have to agree with Dan. You have to get a developer's permission before going ahead with any of these patches. I don't think it was cool for the OP to say "hey, I can do these apps but I'm waiting for the developer". Either get confirmation from the developer, or don't announce anything at all, especially since neither FlightView nor Grooveshark are open source (so what is the OP doing with the source?).
    Why would one "have to" do anything of the sort? Long ago, "personal use" copyright issues were resolved. I have the right to modify code for any program on my computers, unless I've signed a licensing agreement not to. As far as I can tell, we purchase apps from the App Catalog, we don't license them.
    That said, I think it would be in poor form to go against a developer's wishes for his product on a support forum, so when a developer expressly states (on here, for example) that he wishes this not to be done, I think we should honor his wishes.
    At the same time, if a developer doesn't say one way or the other, then I see nothing wrong, legally, morally, or ethically, with what's being done here.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    I would like to have pandora, word whirl, rockus animals, Rocus ABC, MOO and pink pad apps to work full screen.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Palm was ok with me messing with their music app. If they weren't, the "remix" project would have never continued.
    Here's where I have problems with the insistence that devs be contacted first.
    Did you check wtih Palm before you started "messing with their music app", or did you contact them aftewards. I didn't pay close attention to the details as it was all hapenning, but I seem to remember that it was more of the latter (but I could definitely be wrong).

I think the morally correct thing for the community is to try to get developer buy in, but if he/she doesn't respond negatively, then I think it's OK to go ahead with patching.

I think in the cases where devs express their wishes for their product, those wishes should be honored.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    most of the time when I contact people, they dont respond back to me.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    flixter patch is failing on my. I attached the error I get.

also i can't do i need internalz on my TP to paste the palm-divider-lin.ong file? because I can't find it in usb mode.

not sure if the image is working so here is how the error reads.

ERROR: An error occured while attempting to apply flixter.patch

1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects media/cyrptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.flixster.app.movies/app/views/splash/splash-scene.html.rej
    Well if the dev doesn't respond then proceed with the patch. The dev can always request to have the patch removed.
    Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by olufadi1 View Post
    flixter patch is failing on my. I attached the error I get.

also i can't do i need internalz on my TP to paste the palm-divider-lin.ong file? because I can't find it in usb mode.

You need either the Homebrew Version of Internalz or use webOSQuickInstall

I will take a look at flixter tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurec View Post
    Anyway I'm doing the latest Version of SplashID now. Since there is a way to enable the Virual Keyboard now it will be better as the last one.
    Any idea when Splasdata might get around to actually making this avaialble in the app catalog for the TouchPad.

Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    I just got this email from Splashdata

Great, thanks! We may not do this, but can I have your permission to post this to the App Catalog as an interim release of SplashID until we have a chance to properly address the UI on TouchPad?
    OK, enough app patches....Where's the system patches? There are tons of patches from 1.4 - 2.x that could be used in webos 3.x. Don't get me wrong, I love my tp but it's far from perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    OK, enough app patches....Where's the system patches? There are tons of patches from 1.4 - 2.x that could be used in webos 3.x. Don't get me wrong, I love my tp but it's far from perfect.
    The patch submission system is open for patch authors to submit updates to such patches at webOS-Patches Web Portal

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Not a patch guru, but some of the patches that I would like to see on tp are:
    ubercalendar
    browser scrollbar
    advanced configuration for app launcher
    animated backgrounds
    haptic feedback manager
    select alert & notifications tone
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    Not a patch guru, but some of the patches that I would like to see on tp are:
    ubercalendar
    browser scrollbar
    advanced configuration for app launcher
    animated backgrounds
    haptic feedback manager
    select alert & notifications tone
    You should make that known in the relevant threads for those patches, rather than hijacking this thread. Please stick to the topic of the first post. Such requests will simply be ignored here, cause the authors of those patches monitor their existing threads, not this one.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurec View Post
    I just got this email from Splashdata
    Wow!!! That's a promising response.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Still confused about how to get SplashID on my TP. Any help would be greatly appreciated!