Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Been playing around with the emulator image, and I found the location for the keyboard layouts. They are all xml files, located here:

/usr/palm/XT9/dbs/KDBs/

I've been playing around with the XML files to try to create a Dvorak keyboard, but it doesn't appear to change anything at all. Yet, I think these files are what is needed for changing this. Any thoughts?
    I don't think this is the right file to start with.
    I still don't understand exactly this whole "Keyboard type" thing in webOS 3.0, because all keyboard layouts looks exactly the same and the only thing you can do is to choose the table order from the 3 in the list (qwerty, qwerz and azerty). But I did found these files and I think that they are the key to this mystery:
    /usr/share/qt4/keymaps/*.qmap
    These are Qt's binary keyboard maps. If there is any way to convert them back to text, I think it would do the job.
  3.    #3  
    do you think one might be for the osk and the other for bt keyboard?
    hmm... That might be the case, but I'm not sure.
    I just checked the emulator system and found that the system uses a temporary file named kdb.xml (located in the /tmp directory) for the virtual keyboard. This file is automatically generated every startup by the 2 binary files "LunaSysManager" and "SmartKeyService" (both are in the /usr/bin directory) which means that there is no chance to force the system to load edited file (because the system generates this file due the startup process and load it into the RAM. Any change you'll make after this won't affect the system and will be lost at the next startup).
    Therefore, I think It's still impossible to create custom keyboard layouts on webOS 3.0 (unless you'll patch these 2 files and dump the qmap files. Another way is to create your own keyboard framework for webOS).
    You still can convert key pressing with a Java script as the patches for the physical keyboard in webOS 2.1.0 do, but the keyboard look will remain the same.
  5.    #5  
    hmm. in the beta, the xml files for the 3 layouts were not there, but the qmaps were there. perhaps the xml's will be used in an update. (hopeful, and still brainstorming.)

haven't heard anything new in the dev forums about this...

edit: fwiw, that keyboard xml looks exactly like the 3 xmls in the other location
    Last edited by antijingoist; 07/06/2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: more info
    Someone, please, can help me and confirm if there is cyrillic layout? Sorry for off-top, it's just nobody mentioned any international non-latin keyboard support...
  7.    #7  
    no cyrillic layout at the moment.

Also, changing the kdb.xml in the temp folder and setting it immutable changes nothing.
    Guys, I too am interested in the possibility of a dvorak keyboard for webOS, but as I don't yet have any webOS devices, I'll just have to follow your progress...
    Quote Originally Posted by Docta G View Post
    Guys, I too am interested in the possibility of a dvorak keyboard for webOS, but as I don't yet have any webOS devices, I'll just have to follow your progress...
    There won't be any progress. I just found that the keyboard table order (Qwerty, Qwerz etc.) and the exact xml files are set in the binary files' code (in the picture below), so the only thing you can do is email to HP and ask them to open the framework for any one who wants to add other keyboard layouts.

Last edited by isagar2004; 07/07/2011 at 06:52 AM.
    frank-barnett likes this.
  10.    #10  
    What about overwriting one of the 3 layouts?

And is that your license key on the bottom?
    Won't work.
    The code links to the qmap configuration. I really don't know what's the point of the xml files (there is a reference in the code to these files but it doesn't really do anything).

Yup, it was
  12.    #12  
    So, I gotta figure out the qmap.... and that's a bit of a dead end for now......

I hope the xmls are there as a work in progress, that will maybe be how its done in the future.
    Sorry to bump this.

But, I am working on this also.

What is happening is basically, the LunaManager is reading the QMap files and generates the temp XML file. (As far as I understand)

I found tools that can convert KMap to QMap given by Qt SDK. KMap is the standard Linux keyboard layout that is text based. But, I didn't find anything that could the otherway around.

I think one has to use Qt libraries and design a program to read the QMap and modify it.

Still looking into it though. will update this once I have reached something!
    Quote Originally Posted by antijingoist View Post
    Not sure how did I miss this. I spent hours searching like crazy. Time to go nuts now.

Thanks buddy!
  15.    #16  
    Yea, I didn't find it myself either.
    Someone posted it on twitter and I somehow saw it.
    Wow, I found those instructions for how to change the keyboard layout quite overwhelming. If anyone manages to get the Dvorak layout working for either the on-screen keyboard or especially the Bluetooth keyboard and would be so kind as to make such a solution publicly available, I would be very interested in the fruits of that hard work.
  17.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by hzhp422 View Post
    Wow, I found those instructions for how to change the keyboard layout quite overwhelming. If anyone manages to get the Dvorak layout working for either the on-screen keyboard or especially the Bluetooth keyboard and would be so kind as to make such a solution publicly available, I would be very interested in the fruits of that hard work.
    Without anyone getting paid for it, it's likely to take a while. Bounty anyone?
    I barely have time to even play on the precentral forums, so I wouldn't do it unless I got paid, and I use Dvorak (I just got too much to do, literally). I can't imagine many others would.
    I would pay moneys for a dvorak keyboard
    Dvorak layout for the virtual keyboard shouldn't be a problem. I'll try to do it this evening, when I'll have time. The Bluetooth keyboard requires different kind of patching for LunaSysMgr and it requires qmap patching as well, so I don't see myself working on it in the near future.

I've already managed to patch LunaSysMgr to fully support non-Latin languages in the virtual keyboard, so if you're interested on creating keyboard layouts for other languages, you can do it now with full support. I'll release a patch script soon.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html
    Last edited by isagar2004; 09/05/2011 at 07:37 AM.
    bongoman likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast