1.    #1  
    Hello .

I am having a problem installing the application. I tried updating, which didnt work. Got stuck on 'installing'. Then I uninstalled, and tried a reinstall. Which didnt work. On the reviews, it seems people are having the same issue.. Please help?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    what application?
    Quote Originally Posted by Addyc View Post
    Hello .

I am having a problem installing the application. I tried updating, which didnt work. Got stuck on 'installing'. Then I uninstalled, and tried a reinstall. Which didnt work. On the reviews, it seems people are having the same issue.. Please help?
    Its an issue on the Palm side an many developers are experiencing this issue with their apps. Only thing we can do is pester Palm and say ***?
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Syntactix Developer Forum

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Follow development on Twitter

Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcticus View Post
    Its an issue on the Palm side an many developers are experiencing this issue with their apps. Only thing we can do is pester Palm and say ***?

hehe, Well thank you for the quick reply. Someone said it took 7 tries, and another person says it took him an hr to install, so I guess Ill leave it sit for another 30 minutes, and try again

Thank you, again.
    If you have PreWare you can disable the app catalog beta feed and then it will pull the app usually no problem from PreCentral.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

yea that fixed it, turn off the palm feed...for some reason i couldn't get it to install from palm catalog. kept hanging on installing... but once i installed from preware it worked perfectly.
    how do i get preware? just got my pre a month ago and am exploring all this new stuff... assuming this is the homebrew-ish app catalog
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman8 View Post
    how do i get preware? just got my pre a month ago and am exploring all this new stuff... assuming this is the homebrew-ish app catalog
    Welcome to the forum!

Preware is installed on your device using WebOS Quick Install. Detailed instructions can be found here.

Try not to be intimidated by the process. I recommend reading through the instructions a couple of times, and just take your time with each step. There's plenty of help available here if you need it.
    thanks a million! this gives me access to a whole additional app catalog, now, correct? my pre wont be jailbroken or anything, will update correctly still to future webOS iterations, and palm completely supports outside dev, too, yes? this is my understanding, atleast. which just all plays into making the pre as amazing as it is. thanks again
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman8 View Post
    thanks a million! this gives me access to a whole additional app catalog, now, correct? my pre wont be jailbroken or anything, will update correctly still to future webOS iterations, and palm completely supports outside dev, too, yes? this is my understanding, atleast. which just all plays into making the pre as amazing as it is. thanks again
    Preware offers an amazing number of applications and patches that dramatically improve the functionality of WebOS. There are also "Themes" available that allow you to customize the Pre's screen, although I don't have any personal experience with them. There are some caveats, however.

First, I suggest reading through the various threads on this forum regarding Preware patches. Rod Whitby and others have really simplified the patch installation and update process. When you find a patch that is of interest to you, a search on the forum will often provide feedback from other users.

Jason Robitaille, the developer of WebOS Quick Install, has also written really great programs for the Pre.

Rod, Jason and many others are developing patches and apps for the Pre on their own time and without any expectations of personal gain. That said, they do have "Donate" buttons at the end of their posts. If you find their work to be beneficial, you might consider supporting them through a donation.

As to your question of "jailbreaking" and updating, there is always the possibility that something will go wrong with a patch, etc., but you can restore the Pre to its factory settings using WebOS Doctor.

Palm has openly supported the Homebrew community, although they don't encourage actions such as "overclocking." There is a thread on this subject here.

Precentral is an incredible resource, and you can always find help here.
    I echo gc916's comments and welcome you. Preware can act as an alternate catalog and is where many of us developers first place our apps for testing since the user base is pretty tech savy and then promote it from there. Preware will not stop you from updating your device or anything like that an is unofficially supported by Palm. Many of the apps in the catalog got their start here at PreCentral.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC