Page 41 of 78 FirstFirst ... 31363738394041424344454651 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #801  
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    Thats fine that palm says that. But many of us know for a fact, that our battery life was greatly increased after changing our email fetching settings. Maybe for some people having extreme troubles, using the text notification would be better instead of having youview hit youmail every 5 minutes. But again I blame palm for this. Not the developer, just as too many cards isn't a game makers fault. I'm sure it wasn't in their documentation from palm either.
    Agreed thats why we include the option to turn it off.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Syntactix Developer Forum

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Follow development on Twitter

Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Okay, I just got the boot on the free version.
    Sooooo, did 1.4 allow the speaker issue(s) to be resolved or is that still in progress?
    If you're still in a NDA situation on that I understand. Just waiting for that to work properly before I kick down the paper for the full version.
    Obvious concerns:
    1. Can we listen through the ear piece?
    2. Did the volume get bumped up?
  3.    #803  
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Sooooo, did 1.4 allow the speaker issue(s) to be resolved or is that still in progress?
    If you're still in a NDA situation on that I understand. Just waiting for that to work properly before I kick down the paper for the full version.
    Obvious concerns:
    We don't have developer documentation yet or a new SDK (we get minimal documentation for pre-releases), now decompressing the web os doctor the new audio driver does lay the ground work for it (it also hints at voice dialing). If I was to bet, I would bet that the next release will offer mic access if we don't get it this release and a good chance at ear-piece access. (I will follow up on this comment once we get the new SDK and docs).

One thing you can do in the mean time is just use the touch-tone interface like you would your carriers voicemail. There is a shortcut in the app menu or you can assign it to a speed dial.

Regarding #2, I will leave it to others to comment on, as I don't think I am a good judge of it. Just make sure your media volume is turned up.

Right now we are turning our attention to contacts integration. We have some good testers for this as one of them has over 2,000 contacts! Figure if we get all of his to sync everyone else will be cake One thing we need from Palm in this area is to not become the primary profile for the contact when the app creates one. Luckily Palm has contacted us stating that they are discussing how synergy should work and what improvements are needed.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcticus View Post
    (it also hints at voice dialing).
    Didn't see that one coming. Sweet!

If I was to bet, I would bet that the next release will offer mic access if we don't get it this release and a good chance at ear-piece access. (I will follow up on this comment once we get the new SDK and docs).
    Good news.. .

One thing you can do in the mean time is just use the touch-tone interface like you would your carriers voicemail. There is a shortcut in the app menu or you can assign it to a speed dial.
    Ya I got to used to VVM aspect and forgot about that thnx.

Regarding #2, I will leave it to others to comment on, as I don't think I am a good judge of it. Just make sure your media volume is turned up.
    Ya this has been the real issue for me. Turned all the way up it's still way too quiet. My iPhone friends keep bustin' my chops over seeing me have to plug one ear and listen to VMs with my phone backwards to my ear. Its as if the gain is like half way down. (just a idea example)

Right now we are turning our attention to contacts integration. We have some good testers for this as one of them has over 2,000 contacts! Figure if we get all of his to sync everyone else will be cake One thing we need from Palm in this area is to not become the primary profile for the contact when the app creates one. Luckily Palm has contacted us stating that they are discussing how synergy should work and what improvements are needed.
    Ya know, given the option to not import contacts was nice because when I realized it still worked w/o doing that I really had no need for them to be in my phone twice. Plus, to workaround the weird name spellings to actually say certain contacts name in the VM prompt I had to misspell them a little bit so I prefer to have the correct way in my stock contacts list...

sorry for the weird quote breakdown.. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Obvious concerns:
    Agreed. Once these 2 issues are resolved, I am definitely purchasing this app!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I just upgraded from the free version and now my messages won't play. I click on a call from my inbox and nothing happens. Any ideas? I did a reboot of course and still have the problem.
  7.    #807  
    Quote Originally Posted by wayles View Post
    I just upgraded from the free version and now my messages won't play. I click on a call from my inbox and nothing happens. Any ideas? I did a reboot of course and still have the problem.
    Make sure you deleted the beta version. Best bet is to delete both and re-install from the catalog.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Arcticus a few questions (issues):

1. Does Youmail need to be deleted and reinstalled each time I get an update? The last time I downloaded an update the program never worked until I deleted and installed the new version. The VM messages were delivered, but never uploaded to be heard.

2. Since the app went official I've had problems with the automatic download feature of VM (the setting is set to automatically download). I don't know if it's being turned off by the program or what. I do not want email or message notifications only VM downloads.

Thanks,

Gary
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    That worked - thanks!
    I did a little digging and turned up the undocumented method used to play audio through the earpiece. I've recorded my findings here: Media API - WebOS Internals

Assuming that it worked correctly, would you consider releasing a version of the client (via Preware / web-based distrib) that included this functionality?
  11.    #811  
    Quote Originally Posted by bsiegel View Post
    I did a little digging and turned up the undocumented method used to play audio through the earpiece. I've recorded my findings here: Media API - WebOS Internals

Assuming that it worked correctly, would you consider releasing a version of the client (via Preware / web-based distrib) that included this functionality?
    Ha good job ironically enough I was just looking at this in the uncompressed WebOs doctor. Now I have some documentation we will see what tinker with
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

12.    #812  
    Quote Originally Posted by garyk19 View Post
    Arcticus a few questions (issues):

1. Does Youmail need to be deleted and reinstalled each time I get an update? The last time I downloaded an update the program never worked until I deleted and installed the new version. The VM messages were delivered, but never uploaded to be heard.

2. Since the app went official I've had problems with the automatic download feature of VM (the setting is set to automatically download). I don't know if it's being turned off by the program or what. I do not want email or message notifications only VM downloads.

Thanks,

Gary
    Regarding #1 you only need to delete the beta before updated to the official catalog. Once you have the catalog version you can just update with no need to delete first.

#2 Once you have the official app version installed you should redo your settings/preferences.

Let us know if this answers your question and gets you up and running.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

I didn't delete the beta version when I bought the official version.

It showed up as a separate app. I checked the new one, all my previous messages were there. I skipped phone setup (other than entering my phone number) I then deleted the beta.

Everything in the new app works great. No problems (other than the known volume/speaker problem)

Another thing I do like (since my ears and memory are a little slow) is the fact that I can rewind just a little to repeat a phone number without having to listen to a long message over from the beginning.
    Last edited by Technologic 2; 03/02/2010 at 01:17 PM.
  14.    #814  
    Ha good job ironically enough I was just looking at this in the uncompressed WebOs doctor. Now I have some documentation we will see what tinker with
    Needs the com.palm namespace I can understand why though, if you don't end the scenario, all audio is redirected to the ear piece as in everything ringer and all even after the app closes.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

15.    #815  
    YouView now works with Google Voice! Check out the setup instructions here.

Feedback on clarification of setup instructions is welcome.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Great news, I was just about to e-mail you again about testing, however I'm glad that testing is no longer needed

- At first glance all is well and everything works great; but as a first time user I do have a few questions...

1. What directory are the VMs downloaded to on the Pre?
    1.A. Does a swipe to delete a VM also delete its downloaded file?

2. In the future can you have the file download on its own (probably best to make a preference toggle) rather than after the first play?

- I know your still working on the contact sync... I skimmed this long thread for more info but...

3. What are the potential problems of using the built in contact sync (thats under testing)?

3.A. Does this method of sync rather than using YouMail's webportal grab pictures or more specifically once this feature is fully implemented whats the advantage?

Thanks, the app looks great!
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    Step 6 is the only step that I am not sure if I am doing correctly, I do not see anywhere that I can click to email with "sound files attached." I can choose to send emails to the youmail address but that is all. Thanks

*just tested and it works fine, I just do not see the option to attach sound files. Also, the google confirmation email to youmail does go through, however youmail automatically attaches an error message to it saying it is an unsupported format. Just FYI......
    Last edited by gvndeb60; 03/03/2010 at 12:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts

been using for weeks now, works great....

Digg my story http://digg.com/d31Qenl?tto help raise $$$ & awareness for webOS, Palm Pre, HP.

#WebOS Internals "Telethon"#Palm Pre http://bit.ly/7q1Mc
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gvndeb60 View Post
    Step 6 is the only step that I am not sure if I am doing correctly, I do not see anywhere that I can click to email with "sound files attached." I can choose to send emails to the youmail address but that is all. Thanks

*just tested and it works fine, I just do not see the option to attach sound files. Also, the google confirmation email to youmail does go through, however youmail automatically attaches an error message to it saying it is an unsupported format. Just FYI......
    I dont have option for attach sound either.....just needs to tweek his directions a little.......

Digg my story http://digg.com/d31Qenl?tto help raise $$$ & awareness for webOS, Palm Pre, HP.

#WebOS Internals "Telethon"#Palm Pre http://bit.ly/7q1Mc
  20.    #820  
    1. What directory are the VMs downloaded to on the Pre?
    1.A. Does a swipe to delete a VM also delete its downloaded file?
    Voicemails are stored in the application hidden directory. They used to be out in the open but that caused them to show up in the music apps. People didn't like jamming to something and then hearing their mother in law . The folder is accessible in USB mode if you turn on view hidden files for your OS.

A swipe to delete will also delete the message from your the phone.

2. In the future can you have the file download on its own (probably best to make a preference toggle) rather than after the first play?
    The latest release (0.5.41) offers this. You can turn it on in the preferences menu and voicemails will download to the phone at the time they are received. No need to play them first.

3. What are the potential problems of using the built in contact sync (thats under testing)?
    1. This is a Palm issue, where if an app creates a contact it automatically becomes the primary profile. This means its data will trump the others. This is highly undesirable in our case since our contact data is very limited in scope when compared to the others. This will also cause custom ringers for that contact to be overwritten etc.

2. YouMail does not like contacts that share the same phone number and has strict formating on the data with little error feedback. Also they have a server error for the update contact function (we are the first to use it).

3. Even if your app creates a contact and then Synergy links it to other contacts, you still only get access to the data your app created and not the global space for that contact (i.e. picture, other phone numbers, etc).

4. Images need to be base64 encoded to upload to YouMail. The current algorithm causes a stall error (WebOs thinks the app is deadlocked) on large images like those from the camera.

5. Concurrency issues between the phone and server. We have to establish still how to handle if a contact is modified by the contacts app and on the server.

Those are just some of the top issues. Palm engineering is looking at Synergy and how it should behave and what improvements they should make, but like all things Palm there is no timeline or roadmap.

3.A. Does this method of sync rather than using YouMail's webportal grab pictures or more specifically once this feature is fully implemented whats the advantage?
    Once the syncing is fully integrated, the top things users will notice is contact images. It will also allow us to do some more advanced and useful things like allow you to respond to a voicemail via email or text, add and delete a contact right from the voicemail screen. Offer stats on who calls you and when (for an example check out Xobni Email Analytics for Outlook).

Some other advanced features we are looking at while I am at it, are more advanced greeting management. Not only from a contact by contact point of view, but by time of day or GPS location etc.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC