Page 40 of 78 FirstFirst ... 30353637383940414243444550 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Love the app and the interface but since downloading my battery life has been significantly downgraded (like almost 20% in an hour and a half) I know this app runs searches in the background, could it be this?

should I turn off the notifications and just get it through email?

didn't read all the posts so sorry if this was answred already.
    Arcticus,

I will start by saying that I like the app, butI have to disagree with your comments to my post. You are doing nothing more than blaming the customer. You as the developer are responsible for the communication, customer service, and support for your app. That's business. While the forum is a great way for immediate feedback to you from users, it is clear that you are relying too much on the forum for imformation to be disseminated. I shouldn't have to know anything about Precentral to be able to be informed, buy, use and be updated about your app. Most palm user don't even know Precentral exists. I just stumbled on it.

The use of the beta version is irrevelvant as is my decision to use VM only and not text or SMS notification. Youmail should have sent a notification by email to every beta user about the changes, upcoming dates, and instructions to install/uninstall Youmail.

Let me ask you a few Questions:

Do my wife and I have Youmail accounts? Yes
    Do you have our email addresses in your account? yes
    When I signed up did I receive an automatic notification for my PIN #? Yes
    Could you have easily programmed an automatic email message to be sent to all beta users about the upcoming changes? Yes
    Should you have done this? Yes
    Going forward, should an email be sent to every user of Youmail when an update is put out, notice about the changes which the update addresses, and instructions on how to upload the new version? Yes
    Should anyone have to rely on knowing about Precentral or the YOUmail Official Forum to find out what's going on with your app? No
    Is this the basics of good customer service? Yes
    Is this too much to ask? No
    Would my suggestions be a good business decision to adopt? Yes
    Will the suggestions above add to peoples perception about good communication,support, and cs? absolutely
    Will the suggestions help disseminate positive information about you and your app and lead to increased sales of your app? you betcha
    Does anything I've written seem out of line or unreasonable? absolutely not

You can take my advise or leave it, but it makes sense and best of all is free and doesn't take much time or effort.

Sounds like a win/win for you, your business and your customers.
    Arcticus,
    Once you begin development for Google Voice, please contact me. As I'm willing to provide reliable testing.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
  4.    #784  
    Quote Originally Posted by garyk19 View Post
    Arcticus,

I will start by saying that I like the app, butI have to disagree with your comments to my post. You are doing nothing more than blaming the customer. You as the developer are responsible for the communication, customer service, and support for your app. That's business. While the forum is a great way for immediate feedback to you from users, it is clear that you are relying too much on the forum for imformation to be disseminated. I shouldn't have to know anything about Precentral to be able to be informed, buy, use and be updated about your app. Most palm user don't even know Precentral exists. I just stumbled on it.

The use of the beta version is irrevelvant as is my decision to use VM only and not text or SMS notification. Youmail should have sent a notification by email to every beta user about the changes, upcoming dates, and instructions to install/uninstall Youmail.

Let me ask you a few Questions:

Do my wife and I have Youmail accounts? Yes
    Do you have our email addresses in your account? yes
    When I signed up did I receive an automatic notification for my PIN #? Yes
    Could you have easily programmed an automatic email message to be sent to all beta users about the upcoming changes? Yes
    Should you have done this? Yes
    Going forward, should an email be sent to every user of Youmail when an update is put out, notice about the changes which the update addresses, and instructions on how to upload the new version? Yes
    Should anyone have to rely on knowing about Precentral or the YOUmail Official Forum to find out what's going on with your app? No
    Is this the basics of good customer service? Yes
    Is this too much to ask? No
    Would my suggestions be a good business decision to adopt? Yes
    Will the suggestions above add to peoples perception about good communication,support, and cs? absolutely
    Will the suggestions help disseminate positive information about you and your app and lead to increased sales of your app? you betcha
    Does anything I've written seem out of line or unreasonable? absolutely not

You can take my advise or leave it, but it makes sense and best of all is free and doesn't take much time or effort.

Sounds like a win/win for you, your business and your customers.
    No sense in getting in a debate about this or a flame war so I will respond to this to make sure the air is clear but no more...

You obviously didn't read the part where SYNTACTIX IS NOT THE SAME COMPANY AS YOUMAIL. Also you seem no to understand the concept of Beta.

So in response to your comments.

No we don't have your email.
    No we don't have your pin number.
    No we could not send you an email or voicemail telling you of the change.
    You don't need to know about PreCentral to get support. We have a full support help site that allows you to submit help tickets. That is what the help in the app directs you to (also has a link to the forum).

Do we have a bulletin notification system built into all our apps to notify users of issues, updates, etc yes. (In fact it was bugged in the recent beta builds where you got it constantly even when you acknowledged it).

When the app does expire it gives you a notice saying it has and a link to the app catalog to get the latest version.

Regarding peoples perception of communication and support, I think our app reviews speak for themselves.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Syntactix Developer Forum

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Follow development on Twitter

Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.
  5.    #785  
    Quote Originally Posted by jason99vmi View Post
    Love the app and the interface but since downloading my battery life has been significantly downgraded (like almost 20% in an hour and a half) I know this app runs searches in the background, could it be this?

should I turn off the notifications and just get it through email?

didn't read all the posts so sorry if this was answred already.
    Background apps should have next to no effect on battery let alone the drastic effect your experiencing. I would do a reboot, fully charge and see what happens. Keep me posted.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgaryk View Post
    Here's my biggest concern here with this. As soon as I install this app it always tells me I have software to update. When I uninstall it it goes away. Is this fixed in the paid version? The app seems neat ( I haven't gotten a lot of voicemails so I haven't had to really use it much yet) but this is my biggest issue with the beta.
    I'm going to bump this as it has yet to be answered. Not trying to be a pain, just trying to get clarification
    Running Homebrew on my Pre, Wii, PSP and DS. The DS ruined the rhyming that was going on there...sigh.
    I'm going to bump this as it has yet to be answered. Not trying to be a pain, just trying to get clarification
    Haven't seen that message in the paid version.
  8.    #788  
    It was a bug in the beta, plus we added an offset when checking the bulletin system so that when we post a new version is available it only goes to those who don't have it .
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

I've been using the beta version, decided to update to the paid version. Deleted the beta version, went to app catalog, paid, downloads & I get install failed. I've re-booted phone, no luck - same error. Now I have no version working... Any suggestions?
  10.    #790  
    Quote Originally Posted by bberglie View Post
    I've been using the beta version, decided to update to the paid version. Deleted the beta version, went to app catalog, paid, downloads & I get install failed. I've re-booted phone, no luck - same error. Now I have no version working... Any suggestions?
    Palm has acknowledge this is an issue on their end and they can help users on a case by case basis to get it resolved. To get the ball rolling users should visit http://www.palm.com/support.

Here is the thread where Palm acknowledges the issue (See response from WebOs Dev).

Forums webOS • View topic - Users cannot install app (TrackMyWork)
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

wuts new with the latest version?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

12.    #792  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    wuts new with the latest version?
    Version 0.5.32

Implemented Palm recommend HTTPS fix.
    Corrected issue with dashboard updates.

FYI for future:

http://youview.gosyntactix.com/changelog.html
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticus View Post
    Version 0.5.32

Implemented Palm recommend HTTPS fix.
    Corrected issue with dashboard updates.
    thank you...i just updated
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Is it safe to sync Google contacts yet?
  15.    #795  
    Quote Originally Posted by jason99vmi View Post
    Is it safe to sync Google contacts yet?
    You can easily sync them from the website interface. And syncing from the server to YouView is pretty reliable.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Coming Soon Version 0.5.41

1. Updated for WebOs 1.4 compatability.

2. Downloaded voicemails have moved to hidden directory so that they will no longer show up in the media player.

3. The auto-download preference has been updated to download voicemails automatically without having to play them first.

4. Downloading voicemails now have a status indicator. A down arrow for in progress and a check mark for complete.

5. Searching now includes transcriptions.

1 = cant wait for both
    2 = yeh!!
    3 = awesome no more buffering/waiting
    4 = nice addon
    5 = waiting for my beta tester subscription??? maybe ??

This app sure has come a loonnnggg way since first beta.....best app on the Pre...imop..
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    Background apps should have next to no effect on battery let alone the drastic effect your experiencing. I would do a reboot, fully charge and see what happens. Keep me posted.
    First thanks for this app. I upgraded to the paid version. But I would think if it's accessing the youmail website or server in the background, then it would use extra battery, kinda like your email checking every 5 minutes for new mail. But, I think a smart phone should be able to do these things in the background, and its been clear that the pre's battery and the way it's optimized or not, is the problem. I've got 3 guys at work that got the pre because of mine, 2 are taking them back due to the battery, it's an awesome phone, when plugged in, when in your pocket,not so much.

It used to say BG in the prefs, is notifications the same thing now? Will that disable background monitoring?

Also, reason I came is to ask, if I turn on auto download voicemails, will they delete off of my phones memory when i swipe and delete the vm from youview? Or will I have to delete them off memory from usb control?
    thanks again for a great program.
  18.    #798  
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    First thanks for this app. I upgraded to the paid version. But I would think if it's accessing the youmail website or server in the background, then it would use extra battery, kinda like your email checking every 5 minutes for new mail. But, I think a smart phone should be able to do these things in the background, and its been clear that the pre's battery and the way it's optimized or not, is the problem. I've got 3 guys at work that got the pre because of mine, 2 are taking them back due to the battery, it's an awesome phone, when plugged in, when in your pocket,not so much.

It used to say BG in the prefs, is notifications the same thing now? Will that disable background monitoring?

Also, reason I came is to ask, if I turn on auto download voicemails, will they delete off of my phones memory when i swipe and delete the vm from youview? Or will I have to delete them off memory from usb control?
    thanks again for a great program.
    Palm states that true background apps (apps with no card or dashboard) should cause no impact to battery life. It seems to me that battery life is different from phone to phone even with the same setup.

Yes BG was renamed to Notifications to help clarify what it controlled. Turning it off will force you to have to open the app to get new messages (you can use text or email as notifications then).

Great question here. Deleting a voicemail that was downloaded to the phone will also delete it from the USB partition. No need for manual cleanup
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

This is just a nitpick, but since 1.4 now has a splash screeen for all apps by default, could we get rid of the specific ones in this and Pack'n'Track? Just seems a little silly to me now to have the icon pulsing splash screen, and then a second one immediately after that.
    Palm states that true background apps (apps with no card or dashboard) should cause no impact to battery life.
    Thats fine that palm says that. But many of us know for a fact, that our battery life was greatly increased after changing our email fetching settings. Maybe for some people having extreme troubles, using the text notification would be better instead of having youview hit youmail every 5 minutes. But again I blame palm for this. Not the developer, just as too many cards isn't a game makers fault. I'm sure it wasn't in their documentation from palm either.