Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #341  
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    Love the app. but the larest version didn't update as quickly or as many steps on the route as an older version I was using w/ USPS or show any notifications?
    Thanks for all the work, I've been watching this thread pretty closely the past several days.
    We noticed that to, the only good news is it seems to be a thing on the shipper side. As the new tracking engine tracked exactly to the old one. We noticed FedEx seemed a bit laggy also, especially yesterday. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of the shippers at the end of the day and when they update their info. We will be posting our RTM release soon so stay tuned.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Syntactix Developer Forum

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Follow development on Twitter

Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.
    I really want to like this app, but I have to take issue with the process of storing new items.

I just entered a new tracking number (9102901001299061453675, in case you need it) along with a title and pressed OK. The button changed to read "Updating Shipper" and the spinner started up, and then nothing more ever happened. It did this every time I tried it. There seems to be no timeout.

I'm not so much concerned with exactly what happened when the program tried to find the tracking info online. I figure that was either a temporary communications problem or a bug that will get fixed. The real problem is that my data was not saved and had to be re-entered each time.

It's really not cool to make users re-enter data, especially on a tiny keyboard and especially when the numbers are long and hard to remember and type. It would be much better to save the item first, and *then* try to go out to the Internet to find the status. Just because, say, my phone is turned off or the UPS site is down, is no reason not to let me enter a tracking number anyway, as it reduces the utility of the app.

Another oddity is that when I un-maximize the app to open a different one, the Add process is unexpectedly canceled. One of the points of webOS is multi-tasking, and the ability to switch to another app without interrupting the first one. To have the app change state just because it is not maximized doesn't fit that model.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I noticed that version numbers on releases have gone from 0.9.9 to 0.9.935 to 0.9.4 (which the download page claims is RC5). Is this correct? I'm having the problem with USPS just spinning and not coming back "Status Unavailable", but it worked fine with the previous (0.9.935) version I was testing.
  4.    #344  
    Quote Originally Posted by heltoupee View Post
    I noticed that version numbers on releases have gone from 0.9.9 to 0.9.935 to 0.9.4 (which the download page claims is RC5). Is this correct? I'm having the problem with USPS just spinning and not coming back "Status Unavailable", but it worked fine with the previous (0.9.935) version I was testing.
    Yes v0.9.4 is the RTM release. We had to roll back our version numbering to comply with Palms numbering requirements and we wanted wiggle room to provide updates to the app catalog. You may need to delete and fresh install the app. All future releases will have database migration from the RTM release forward.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

5.    #345  
    Quote Originally Posted by grantroot View Post
    I really want to like this app, but I have to take issue with the process of storing new items.

I just entered a new tracking number (9102901001299061453675, in case you need it) along with a title and pressed OK. The button changed to read "Updating Shipper" and the spinner started up, and then nothing more ever happened. It did this every time I tried it. There seems to be no timeout.

I'm not so much concerned with exactly what happened when the program tried to find the tracking info online. I figure that was either a temporary communications problem or a bug that will get fixed. The real problem is that my data was not saved and had to be re-entered each time.

It's really not cool to make users re-enter data, especially on a tiny keyboard and especially when the numbers are long and hard to remember and type. It would be much better to save the item first, and *then* try to go out to the Internet to find the status. Just because, say, my phone is turned off or the UPS site is down, is no reason not to let me enter a tracking number anyway, as it reduces the utility of the app.

Another oddity is that when I un-maximize the app to open a different one, the Add process is unexpectedly canceled. One of the points of webOS is multi-tasking, and the ability to switch to another app without interrupting the first one. To have the app change state just because it is not maximized doesn't fit that model.
    It looks like your trying to track a FedEx smart post, which we don't fully support yet since it switches currier's mid shipment. USPS owns that number and currently has no record of it and nor will they until they take possession.

There is a timeout on AJAX request, however it is very long and we try multiple attempts at different servers to try and resolve your number. This time out is NOT configurable by developers (as far as I know). So if the wheel is spinning we are working . If we fail to find your number we do save it and will try again later. Please be patient.

Try using use copy & paste as it has been suggested to others who have complained about the add dialog box going away. That is the way the List widget works in WebOs and it would take substantial code to make it persistent. Maybe one day we will do it, but as of right now Copy & Paste seems sufficient and we feel our time is better spent looking at other areas of improvement and expansion.

Please let us know if you have any other suggestions or feedback. We are working to support FedEx Smartpost (FedEx to USPS) and Mailbox Innovations (UPS to USPS).
    Last edited by Arcticus; 09/01/2009 at 10:46 AM.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

aaah crap shouldn't have deleted version .935, didn't know this new one was going to expire. crap.
  7.    #347  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    aaah crap shouldn't have deleted version .935, didn't know this new one was going to expire. crap.
    Don't worry, there will be versions posted that continually extend the expiration date. It is just to ensure that we can comply with any future requirements from Palm regarding the homebrew scene. As of right now they love it
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

sweet, I can't wait to see at least one of the homebrew apps in the actual app catalog, also please let us know the timing as far as how long it takes palm to post it in the app catalog just so we know how long of a process it actually is with palm
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcticus View Post
    There is a timeout on AJAX request, however it is very long and we try multiple attempts at different servers to try and resolve your number. This time out is NOT configurable by developers (as far as I know). So if the wheel is spinning we are working . If we fail to find your number we do save it and will try again later. Please be patient.
    Being patient is OK, but if I switch to another app in the meantime, the Add process cancels. Shouldn't it keep going in the background? I don't know any other apps that stop processes just because an app is no longer maximized.

Try using use copy & paste as it has been suggested to others who have complained about the add dialog box going away. That is the way the List widget works in WebOs and it would take substantial code to make it persistent.
    I'm not talking about changing the behavior of the List widget. I'm suggesting that you simply save the entry immediately (and close the Add dialog), then try to do the Internet search from the main screen. That way even if the process fails, the data has already been saved. Yes, you would have to display a generic icon until the carrier was discovered, but that's not a big deal.

Sorry, but I think that having to learn to always Copy input data just in case it is lost by the program is a labor-intensive workaround for poor program behavior. New users will lose data until they experience the problem, and experienced users have to put in extra effort with *every* entry, for something the program should handle.
    Try using use copy & paste as it has been suggested to others who have complained about the add dialog box going away.
    As it turns out, even copy-and-paste is extra difficult in this app. The standard, well-known way doesn't work, as the Add dialog closes when one accesses the app menu.

The only way to do it is the tap-and-hold-gesture-area-and-press-V paste shortcut.
    My most recent Add attempt showed "Updating Shipper" with a rotating spinner for about 30 minutes. That seems an excessive time to wait.

And when I took the unit off the dock and it timed out the screen, turning the screen back on showed that the Add dialog had canceled itself. (I don't know if it occurred when the screen blanked or when it was turned back on.) My tracking number was *not* saved.
  12.    #352  
    Quote Originally Posted by grantroot View Post
    My most recent Add attempt showed "Updating Shipper" with a rotating spinner for about 30 minutes. That seems an excessive time to wait.

And when I took the unit off the dock and it timed out the screen, turning the screen back on showed that the Add dialog had canceled itself. (I don't know if it occurred when the screen blanked or when it was turned back on.) My tracking number was *not* saved.
    LOL 30 min is excessive sounds like the software didn't handle something properly. 30 min should not be the case, I will look into this this evening and get back to you.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Thanks mobilehavoc looking into this...
    Did you ever find this bug and squash it? I love the notifications but only care about the delivery notification sometimes...hasn't worked in any version prior to RTM. I haven't tested RTM yet though.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    LOL 30 min is excessive sounds like the software didn't handle something properly. 30 min should not be the case, I will look into this this evening and get back to you.
    Thanks!

If that can be fixed, and if the Add dialog can be a bit less sensitive to state changes (not canceling itself when I bring up the app menu or switch to another app), things will be much better.
  15.    #355  
    Ok grantroot found your issue, we were not processing the fail code properly so it got hung up. Let me take a look at the add dialog box before I send you / post an update.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

16.    #356  
    Good news grantroot, I think I have a fix for you, going to post it now as v0.9.41
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

17.    #357  
    Posted version 0.9.41

- Corrected issue with not handling invalid tracking numbers properly.
    - And one I am sure many of you have been wanting, the "Add Dialog" box now will stick around when switching between apps. Special thanks to grantroot for driving home the importance of this issue.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Great app! This is the first homebrew app i downloaded.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I love this app. It's one of the best in functionality.
    Posted version 0.9.41
    - Corrected issue with not handling invalid tracking numbers properly.
    It does appear to be timing out and saving my entries now. Thanks!

- And one I am sure many of you have been wanting, the "Add Dialog" box now will stick around when switching between apps. Special thanks to grantroot for driving home the importance of this issue.
    Which I think is your polite way of saying "nagging me unmercifully." :-)

Thanks for this! The Add dialog does indeed stay open now, which is quite useful.

I have two more requests / suggestions:

- It would be very helpful if the app menu were available while the Add dialog box is open, so that one can easily cut and paste into the tracking number field without having to use the shortcuts.

- All of the saved entries for which tracking information could not be found show up in the list as "Status Unavailable", and they all look the same. I can't really tell which is which, or if I successfully entered a particular item. Could you possibly display the entered title (or if no title, the tracking number) on the first line, and the "Status Unavailable" message on the second line?

Thanks again for your work on this app. It's going to be really useful.