Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The orange and blue one you'll recognize from my "Palm Focus" bootscreen thread.

I made the TRON wallpapers as a lockscreen for my iPhone TRON Theme(s) on Cydia -- and as you can tell, I love things that glow The models I made from many references, and are the most accurate recreations of the movie models that I've yet seen, especially the Recognizer (I played and paused my TRON DVD a hundred times to figure out how they made it).

I build the models in Rhinoceros 3D and texture and render in Cinema 4D 11. I have a BS in Industrial Design (product design/ illustration).

I'll update this page with other random art as I make more! And don't forget to Rate! ^^^

Last edited by Jahooba; 06/09/2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: added requests, updated Palm blue.
  2.    #2  
    Problem:

I emailed them to myself as PNG's (as they are now on this page), and it looked incredible in the email app on the Pre's screen. I saved them to my downloads and then opened my "Photos" app, then selected them and chose "Set Wallpaper". The wallpaper was blurry instead of crisp and clean.

I'm a perfectionist, especially when it comes to my art, so I did a little testing and it turns out:

There's a Solution!

The wallpaper MUST be set in the "Screen & Lock" app in order to get the best quality wallpaper image!

I don't know why this is, it must have something to do with how the "Photos" app converts the images to a lower quality for quick viewing, then takes a screenshot of the lower quality image and sets it as the wallpaper. The Screen & Lock app seems to go directly to the full-quality image.

The images look super crisp and clean on the Pre's screen now. SineOt confirms this works on the Pixie as well
    Last edited by Jahooba; 05/30/2010 at 11:01 PM. Reason: added that last sentence
    I was able to view them in the precentral app and just orange-tap on the picture to save it do my download folder. Only loaded the first three tho. Must have run out of memory. They look great! Great work! Keep 'em comin'...

UPDATE: I pulled it up in the full browser and all pictures loaded. Orange-tapped and saved all of them with full resolution intact.
    Last edited by Mordbane; 05/26/2010 at 11:41 AM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    I was able to view them in the precentral app and just orange-tap on the picture to save it do my download folder. Only loaded the first three tho. Must have run out of memory. They look great! Great work! Keep 'em comin'...
    Just to clarify, the method of saving was not the problem, but how the Pre's "Photos" app was used to set the wallpaper.

To get the best quality wallpaper, use the "Screen & Lock" app to set your wallpaper!
    Using the Screen & Lock application has been a well talked about solution in the past, but thank you for bringing this back up for members! For some reason when you set the wallpaper from the Photos app, it sets it in a lower-res setting, while the Screen & Lock app sets the wallpaper in higher-res. Great catch!

BTW... I LOVE the Tron stuff! Very cool and a new addition to my Pre!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Using the Screen & Lock application has been a well talked about solution in the past, but thank you for bringing this back up for members! For some reason when you set the wallpaper from the Photos app, it sets it in a lower-res setting, while the Screen & Lock app sets the wallpaper in higher-res. Great catch!

BTW... I LOVE the Tron stuff! Very cool and a new addition to my Pre!
    Thanks! Actually, seeing your Prethemer page a couple weeks ago inspired me to make my own -- Do you mostly use Photoshop?

Also, I did a few searches but I couldn't turn up anything on the image-quality thing, so I decided to do a little trial & error myself.

I opened a patch request thread to fix this issue, but now that I think about it, this problem is probably better fixed with a whole new Photos application. Heck, they did it for the Music app, why not Photos too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Thanks! Actually, seeing your Prethemer page a couple weeks ago inspired me to make my own -- Do you mostly use Photoshop?

Also, I did a few searches but I couldn't turn up anything on the image-quality thing, so I decided to do a little trial & error myself.

I opened a patch request thread to fix this issue, but now that I think about it, this problem is probably better fixed with a whole new Photos application. Heck, they did it for the Music app, why not Photos too?
    Thanks! I use a combination of PS, Paint.net, and Gimp2 (depending upon what I need to do as some have specific filters to use). I'm definitely just a 'hobbyist' for image manipulation and just enjoy playing around here and there.

I added a link to my signature to hopefully help spread the word of the wallpaper image settings.

Hey... any way you can update one of your boot screens for me? I love the orange 'circle' webOS screen, but am wondering if you can brighten up the "webOS" wording under 'Palm' so it looks like it is glowing brighter. It looks great, but if it were an actual neon sign I would think that particular bulb blew out. I'd love to see the white of "web" a bright white glow matching the brightness of the 'Palm', and the "OS" matching the orange glow of 'Palm' also. Definitely a new favorite boot of mine, but wanted to see if you could brighten that part up yet. Awesome work though!
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    GREAT STUFF. Love it all. Please make more.

Also guys. If you are on your Pre on the mobile site...
    Just hold orange button and tap the photo.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks! I use a combination of PS, Paint.net, and Gimp2 (depending upon what I need to do as some have specific filters to use). I'm definitely just a 'hobbyist' for image manipulation and just enjoy playing around here and there.

I added a link to my signature to hopefully help spread the word of the wallpaper image settings.

Hey... any way you can update one of your boot screens for me? I love the orange 'circle' webOS screen, but am wondering if you can brighten up the "webOS" wording under 'Palm' so it looks like it is glowing brighter. It looks great, but if it were an actual neon sign I would think that particular bulb blew out. I'd love to see the white of "web" a bright white glow matching the brightness of the 'Palm', and the "OS" matching the orange glow of 'Palm' also. Definitely a new favorite boot of mine, but wanted to see if you could brighten that part up yet. Awesome work though!
    Oh yeah, you requested that in my other thread -- I fixed it for the blue one but forgot about the orange. I edited the image in the first thread with a whiter "web". Do you want me to update the rounded corner bootscreen in my other thread as well? (Edit - done!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    GREAT STUFF. Love it all. Please make more.

Also guys. If you are on your Pre on the mobile site...
    Just hold orange button and tap the photo.
    Thanks, Kedar
    Last edited by Jahooba; 05/26/2010 at 04:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Oh yeah, you requested that in my other thread -- I fixed it for the blue one but forgot about the orange. I edited the image in the first thread with a whiter "web". Do you want me to update the rounded corner bootscreen in my other thread as well? (Edit - done!)
    Awesome! Now if you can make the "OS" the same color/brightness as the Palm... it would be perfect! That way it looks like its a big neon sign love it!
  11.    #11  
    Awesome! Now if you can make the "OS" the same color/brightness as the Palm... it would be perfect! That way it looks like its a big neon sign love it!
    Hehe, yeah, I just noticed that too. I'll set it to render when I go to bed tonight. It takes about 40 min to render each picture with my high anti-aliasing settings.

The problem is that all the orange parts use the same material, but the 'OS' has less light reflecting inside it due to it's smaller size. Making it glow in precisely the same way may not turn out right, or give it the same orange hue. As it stands the values are true to how the material and objects, in their different thicknesses, would render under these lighting conditions.

I'll mess around with it a little more.
  12. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Those Palm screens are amazing. I'm using the blue one, but I'm more of a "green" guy. Any chance of a green version?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Those Palm screens are amazing. I'm using the blue one, but I'm more of a "green" guy. Any chance of a green version?
    Added a green one to first post. Enjoy!
  14. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    You rock! That's perfect! Thank you so much.
  15.    #15  
    I added one that looks like chrome, or metal. I was debating whether to upload it here, goodness knows I have enough of this logo around

But I put it on my phone and instantly loved it! So I thought I'd share it.

I don't know what it is about the logo, it just kind of works -- I think perhaps because there's a nice harmony between the roundness of the logo and the squares in the background. I don't think it would have worked had they been, say, hexagons.
    Very nice Wallpapers !
    Thank you SO much for this post. I've been wracking my brain for a long time trying to figure out why the wallpapers on my Pixi looked so bad, and this just answered every question I had.
    i love the chrome one.. they are all awesome... excellent work
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Wow nice detail, & great thread
  20.    #20  
    [Bump]

Added the Palm & webOS logo with an all-black background by request.

Not as visually interesting, but maybe it will save battery life?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast