Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34
  1. #21  
    Actually, the post started out with a very good and important ethical issue - is this legal to use copyrighted images for themes? We cannot dismiss this idea as trolling just because we don't like the implications.

    Yes, it is illegal to distribute copyrighted materials without expressed written consent from the copyright holder. It is not illegal to develop one copy for your own private use, but once you start giving it to others, you have crossed the line.

    The same applies to music, movies, books - you can lend a book to a friend, but you do not make copies of the book (or music or video). Regardless of what we WANT to think, it is illegal to do otherwise. Just because the technology makes it easy does not make it right.

    Having said that, it is extremely doubtful that anyone doing this will ever be prosecuted - it's just too much hassle and the return is not profitable.

    But does that make it right?
  2.    #22  
    How about if when people post the wallpapers, they say where they got the images from?
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    The above is helpful but not entirely accurate, as it deals with "fair use," which is a *defense,* not a determination of whether something is infringing. In other words, you only get to the question of fair use *after* you have already infringed.

    Are the wallpapers infringing someone's copyright? Almost certainly. Will the copyright owner object? Probably not, but they have the right to do so. If they do, it's clearly more likely that they'd go after the people creating and distributing the wallpaper than the individual who downloads/installs a personal copy (which is an infringment but probably below any reasonable threshold of action). {Jonathan}
    Well said and completely accurate. I was quoting directly from fair use defense and should have prefaced it as such and not as how to determine whether or not you are infringing. Thanks for the correction.
  4. #24  
    B*T*H , *I*C* , B*T*H . What about the original owners negligence of keeping his or her work from being copied ?

    I like the sound of neglect better than infringe
  5. #25  
    Who cares. It still only a troll post to me.
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

    Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

    If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    B*T*H , *I*C* , B*T*H . What about the original owners negligence of keeping his or her work from being copied ?

    I like the sound of neglect better than infringe
    Specious argument. It is not incumbent upon the original owner to protect his/her work in civilized society. That's like saying that every woman who is raped deserved it because she didn't carry a gun.

    Where is the element of trust in our society, that we ought not to steal from each other, whether they locked it up or not?
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Specious argument. It is not incumbent upon the original owner to protect his/her work in civilized society. That's like saying that every woman who is raped deserved it because she didn't carry a gun.

    Where is the element of trust in our society, that we ought not to steal from each other, whether they locked it up or not?
    What color is the sky in the world you live in ?
    I would bet security is a bigger business than telecommunications.
    Had to look up specious it was not in my vocabulary. Thanks
    Last edited by Colonel Angus; 12/01/2009 at 09:10 AM.
  8. #28  
    What color is the sky in the world you live in ?

    Right now, it's black. (With a few stars out, too!)
  9. #29  
    Just for the record, in case anybody ever tries to tell you different, THE SKY IS NOT BLUE!!!

    Look at it logically -

    - WHEREAS half of the time (globally), it is night. What color is the sky at night? (Black, or non-color)
    - WHEREAS sunrises and sunsets take up about an hour each, when the sky is different shades of orange, red, yellow, etc. (Depending upon your geographical setting)
    - WHEREAS during the day, there are clouds, which are not blue. They can range from white to almost black.
    - WHEREAS there are many days when the sky is covered with clouds, so very little if any blue is seen.

    - THEREFORE the sky can only be viewed as totally "blue" around 25% of the time.

    SO WHY DO WE CALL IT BLUE!?!
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Just for the record, in case anybody ever tries to tell you different, THE SKY IS NOT BLUE!!!

    Look at it logically -

    - WHEREAS half of the time (globally), it is night. What color is the sky at night? (Black, or non-color)
    - WHEREAS sunrises and sunsets take up about an hour each, when the sky is different shades of orange, red, yellow, etc. (Depending upon your geographical setting)
    - WHEREAS during the day, there are clouds, which are not blue. They can range from white to almost black.
    - WHEREAS there are many days when the sky is covered with clouds, so very little if any blue is seen.

    - THEREFORE the sky can only be viewed as totally "blue" around 25% of the time.

    SO WHY DO WE CALL IT BLUE!?!
    Because the atmosphere causes light waves to be perceived as blue by the human eye.


    I still lock my door behind me anytime I enter.This gives me reason to use force if another was to break through and thus give me reason to use deadly force to defend myself against a forcible felony.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Colonel Angus; 12/02/2009 at 09:36 AM.
  11. jeffmcc's Avatar
    Posts
    619 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #31  
    I is not wrong to make coppys of music/games/movies......as long as you don't sell them.....

    NOT "HP webOS"!!!
  12. #32  
    Can we please let this thread die now? It was posted by a Troll to get reactions. If this thread were a goldfish I'd have flushed it a loooong time ago. Please don't get suckered into "discussion" threads like this posted by trollers looking to stir things up. (leads this thread to an open field to be shot).

    /rant.
    /thread.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Can we please let this thread die now? It was posted by a Troll to get reactions. If this thread were a goldfish I'd have flushed it a loooong time ago. Please don't get suckered into "discussion" threads like this posted by trollers looking to stir things up. (leads this thread to an open field to be shot).

    /rant.
    /thread.
    Not a troll post. I have a legitimate point. I have not flamed anybody nor made any specious accusations.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldo In The Weeds View Post
    I see a lot of people posting wallpapers that I have to wonder if they are violating someone's copyright by doing it. How do we know if we are illegally downloading these wallapapers?
    When you have a collection agency attempting to collect on a judgment that you can't pay because you owe your attorney 20k
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions