Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I haven't seen many wallpapers from fractal sources (at least not collected in one thread...)

I name mine based on three parameters: the general shape the fractal evokes, the main color/hue, and a "best attempt" qualifier (color feature, natural quality, luminence, etc).

My first groups (see below) will be from the Mandelbrot set. Hopefully, I'll have some time to broaden out to some of the other popular fractal sets.

Here's a good tutorial on loading wallpapers, in case you need it (this seems to work best for me):
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ntral-net.html

Enjoy!

EDIT - Additional Notes:
    • All the fractals I post here are created by me, unless otherwise stated in the post.
    • Feel free to use, distribute (for free), and/or modify these images.
    • I try to post properly sized (320 x 480) wallpaper images in PNG format.
    • Not all images are tested on my Pre, just a few to make sure the sizing is right.
    • I use a "freeware" fractal program to generate the images (there are many out there, and I don't want to get caught up in endorsing one over the other).
    • I'm not a fractal math expert, nor is this thread about that subject, if you want to get technical go somewhere else.
    • If you want the same image but with a different palette, have fun with your favorite image editting tool. I don't save the details on the fractal (fractal parameters, view window, palette, etc.) so I won't be able to re-create any specific image exactly. Think of your favorite mad scientist twiddling knobs in the lab... when I see something I like, I save the image, but that's it.
    • If you see a fractal you like or can generally describe what you're looking for (preferably by similarity to what I post here), I'd be happy to take a crack at producing it, subject to prior negotiation.

-Jim
    Last edited by AeroJim; 10/17/2009 at 02:52 PM.
    TANSTAAFL!
  2.    #2  
    My first set.
    Mandelbrot based. I call these "corona" because they evoke solar corona activity. The base fractal image is the same for this group, I've only varied the color palette.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TANSTAAFL!
  3.    #3  
    2nd Set. Another mandelbrot set based fractal. These are a fine, thready almost crystalline.
    The "Fine, Blue" group:
    TANSTAAFL!
  4.    #4  
    Same mandelbrot fractal base as the "Fine, Blue" set, this is a set of 4 monochrome. The two purple are from a different region of the mandelbrot set:
    Last edited by AeroJim; 10/17/2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: clarify set source
    TANSTAAFL!
  5.    #5  
    Here's a set of "plasma" fractals... They form psychedelic blobs, topographic shapes, explosive clouds, ropy lighting, etc...
    These are a few different ones using a similar lava/fire palette
    TANSTAAFL!
  6.    #6  
    Here's a set of ropy plasma fractals. There are the same base fractal with several different palettes. Simple palette changes really change the character. The monochromes are a slightly different set, but the imagery is similar.
    TANSTAAFL!
  7.    #7  
    One last set then it's time for a "morning" (PDT) break...
    5 different color variations on the same plasma shock or spark through a cloud.
    Last edited by AeroJim; 10/17/2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: finish your sentences!
    TANSTAAFL!
  8.    #8  
    Some lacy 3D filaments. I saved these in jpg (but they work fine)... Let me know if you need png format. As always, these are more or less identical except for the color schemes. (See the next post for some swirl types)
    TANSTAAFL!
  9.    #9  
    More filament fractal. These are a swirl pattern. Again, same basic graphic, different pallettes. Let me know if you gotta have png...
    TANSTAAFL!
  10.    #10  
    Nothing but stripes
    TANSTAAFL!
  11.    #11  
    Some fine weaves
    TANSTAAFL!
  12.    #12  
    You tell me... I applied an anit-alias filter to some of these, so they may appear slightly blurred (it's not a bug, it's a feature!)
    TANSTAAFL!
  13.    #13  
    Here's the last for a bit... No idea what to say abot these, hope someone finds them useful:
    TANSTAAFL!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!
    - Larry Niven
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!
    - Larry Niven
    Guess again, Jer... Hang your head in shame when you get the right author!
    TANSTAAFL!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Oops. My bad!

Guess I just remembered Niven using it... and better to know than not.

Thanks and regards,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    Oops. My bad!

Guess I just remembered Niven using it... and better to know than not.

Thanks and regards,
    -JerryG
    "TANSTAAFL" belongs to Robert Heinlein
    Niven uses "Tanj" = "There ain't no justice"

Regards back at you...
    -Jim
    TANSTAAFL!
  18.    #18  
    Here's a mix of Julia sets, various adjustments/colors/etc...
    TANSTAAFL!
  19.    #19  
    Plasma Topo maps, a 3D transform globe, and some stripes:
    TANSTAAFL!
  20.    #20  
    Here's another miscellaneous batch... played around with some embossing filters on some of these:
    TANSTAAFL!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast