1.    #1  
    Is it possible to have an animated GIF as a screen saver?
    STAR TAC w/TIMPORT ORGANIZER>I300>I330>TREO600>TREO650>TREO700>TREO755P
    Nope, tried it with an LCARS based background (which is posted) It doesn't show up in the photo album even though it is in the gallery (i.e. downloads). So since you can't select it, you can't set it as wallpaper. It could be that there is another way, but you can't do it the obvious way.
    Animated GIFs don't even work in the web browser.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    Animated GIFs don't even work in the web browser.
    Which is odd, they actually do work in the email attachment. I thought that was an instance of the browser, but apparently not. (I sent the LCARS gif to myself from the LCARS thread and it animates if you scroll down to view the image. (but not in the preview to copy to photos) So animated gifs are built into the email browser, but not the web browser. I would have thought it would be the opposite.
  5.    #5  
    Well its funny today i happen to switch the theme from the clock from the digital clock to the analog clock ...and the second hand is MOVING? is this no animation? and if so how far could this be takin?
    STAR TAC w/TIMPORT ORGANIZER>I300>I330>TREO600>TREO650>TREO700>TREO755P
    Quote Originally Posted by mr2dxtream View Post
    Well its funny today i happen to switch the theme from the clock from the digital clock to the analog clock ...and the second hand is MOVING? is this no animation? and if so how far could this be takin?
    You can animate elements within an app, because they aren't static images, the only images that are supported for the wallpaper are static ones (jpg and png). When you select a Theme from the menu for clock, you are just changing the face of the application. when you close the app, your wallpaper is still static. Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean.

I do wonder if there is a way to set the wallpaper without using the photos app and if a gif/animated gif would work if you could circumvent the normal process. (my guess would be no)
    Not having the ability to support animated gifs is absolutely insane.
    I hate receiving a picture message that is animated and not being able to play it.
    What is palm/sprint thinking.
    All other carriers have this ability. I just dont get it.
    i read someone was able to get gifs to work by changing the file name to a .png, however i can't recall which thread i saw this in nor what he had changed it for. But it was probably theme related. Anyway hope that helps
    isn't flash plugin going to bring the ability to do animated screensaver and wallpapers?
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by urlmaker View Post
    Which is odd, they actually do work in the email attachment. I thought that was an instance of the browser, but apparently not. (I sent the LCARS gif to myself from the LCARS thread and it animates if you scroll down to view the image. (but not in the preview to copy to photos) So animated gifs are built into the email browser, but not the web browser. I would have thought it would be the opposite.
    I tried this and I was not able to duplicate it. Anyone else?
    It's pretty easy to replicate. Go to this thread, the second image is an animated gif.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1889688

Email it to yourself.
    Open the mail on your palm email client. Click on the attachment to download it (don't click it again). Once the download is complete scroll down the email. You will see a moving animated LCARS gif. I just checked, so it still works in 1.2. FYI If you click the image a second time, it will open in a web browser, this will be static.

Of course if I navigate to the site in the pre browser, the gif shows up as a static image.
    Quote Originally Posted by robbskittles View Post
    isn't flash plugin going to bring the ability to do animated screensaver and wallpapers?
    That would be really cool, but I would bet they don't have it as an option for backgrounds. Probably the same reason they don't allow gifs, running the animation constantly in the background would be an unnecessary drain to the battery. I would guess that flash will run in card view only. That being said, I would think someone could come up with a way.
    Ill love to have this pic as wallpaper !!! ... is not possible to see it here .. but the flame move!
    Attached Images Attached Images