Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    People say dark wallpapers save battery life. I'll get it started here - this is my great great uncle (or somesuch), grinding a plow in Nebraska at the turn of the century.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This was my first pre wallpaper.
    I like the wallpapers we need more people contributing to this thread!
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Dark wallpapers do NOT save battery life. In the case of LCD screens, the backlight is what is sucking down all the power, it stays on REGARDLESS of what color is being displayed. The pixels on your screen just let through or block that light. If you want to save more battery, turn your brightness down, it will do a whole lot more.
    lol... how about just black.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (2.2 KB, 98 views)
    Last edited by pogeypre; 07/22/2009 at 10:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by horadin View Post
    Dark wallpapers do NOT save battery life. In the case of LCD screens, the backlight is what is sucking down all the power, it stays on REGARDLESS of what color is being displayed. The pixels on your screen just let through or block that light. If you want to save more battery, turn your brightness down, it will do a whole lot more.
    Party Pooper
    J/K
  7.    #7  
    Fair enough.

I still like dark wallpapers, though.
    By the way, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to make the pics an emailable attachment. Any help on this?
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    People say dark wallpapers save battery life. I'll get it started here - this is my great great uncle (or somesuch), grinding a plow in Nebraska at the turn of the century.
    Thank you for explaining what he was doing. I opened the pic before reading it and wondered for a bit.....
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Party Pooper
    J/K
    HAHA, sorry for raining on the parade I do use a dark wallpaper though, they really do look nice on the pre!
    Here are a few that I have collected.

Too bad our screens werent OLED....this might actually work (to save power).
    Here are two
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Umm... Yeah.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Are you sure for the Pre? I know for certain* many LCD FPD's turn down the backlight when displaying a mostly black/dark screen. The Pre may not, but your blanket statement is not true of TV displays.

*At my company we've torn down several LCD displays and tested them; so I have seen it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    Are you sure for the Pre? I know for certain* many LCD FPD's turn down the backlight when displaying a mostly black/dark screen. The Pre may not, but your blanket statement is not true of TV displays.

*At my company we've torn down several LCD displays and tested them; so I have seen it personally.
    Where they LED LCD displays? Those are the only ones I know of that do local dimming. Traditional LCD's use one backlight (CFL tubes) that isnt dimmable by location (all or nothing).
    Here is my favorite.
    Earth - Dark
    Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    This was my first pre wallpaper.
    Props on the MRH wallpaper.
    Through a Window darkly...
    Dog
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast