Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1.    #1  
    People say dark wallpapers save battery life. I'll get it started here - this is my great great uncle (or somesuch), grinding a plow in Nebraska at the turn of the century.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2. #2  
    This was my first pre wallpaper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  3. #3  
    I like the wallpapers we need more people contributing to this thread!
  4. horadin's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #4  
    Dark wallpapers do NOT save battery life. In the case of LCD screens, the backlight is what is sucking down all the power, it stays on REGARDLESS of what color is being displayed. The pixels on your screen just let through or block that light. If you want to save more battery, turn your brightness down, it will do a whole lot more.
  5. #5  
    lol... how about just black.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (2.2 KB, 98 views)
    Last edited by pogeypre; 07/22/2009 at 10:00 AM.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by horadin View Post
    Dark wallpapers do NOT save battery life. In the case of LCD screens, the backlight is what is sucking down all the power, it stays on REGARDLESS of what color is being displayed. The pixels on your screen just let through or block that light. If you want to save more battery, turn your brightness down, it will do a whole lot more.
    Party Pooper
    J/K
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by horadin View Post
    Dark wallpapers do NOT save battery life. In the case of LCD screens, the backlight is what is sucking down all the power, it stays on REGARDLESS of what color is being displayed. The pixels on your screen just let through or block that light. If you want to save more battery, turn your brightness down, it will do a whole lot more.
    Fair enough.

    I still like dark wallpapers, though.
  8. #8  
    By the way, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to make the pics an emailable attachment. Any help on this?
  9. rockyjay's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    People say dark wallpapers save battery life. I'll get it started here - this is my great great uncle (or somesuch), grinding a plow in Nebraska at the turn of the century.
    Thank you for explaining what he was doing. I opened the pic before reading it and wondered for a bit.....
  10. horadin's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Party Pooper
    J/K
    HAHA, sorry for raining on the parade I do use a dark wallpaper though, they really do look nice on the pre!
  11. #11  
    Here are a few that I have collected.

    Too bad our screens werent OLED....this might actually work (to save power).
    Attached Images Attached Images
  12. #12  
    Here are two
    Attached Images Attached Images
  13. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #13  
    Umm... Yeah.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  14. jp99's Avatar
    Posts
    403 Posts
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by horadin View Post
    Dark wallpapers do NOT save battery life. In the case of LCD screens, the backlight is what is sucking down all the power, it stays on REGARDLESS of what color is being displayed. The pixels on your screen just let through or block that light. If you want to save more battery, turn your brightness down, it will do a whole lot more.
    Are you sure for the Pre? I know for certain* many LCD FPD's turn down the backlight when displaying a mostly black/dark screen. The Pre may not, but your blanket statement is not true of TV displays.

    *At my company we've torn down several LCD displays and tested them; so I have seen it personally.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    Are you sure for the Pre? I know for certain* many LCD FPD's turn down the backlight when displaying a mostly black/dark screen. The Pre may not, but your blanket statement is not true of TV displays.

    *At my company we've torn down several LCD displays and tested them; so I have seen it personally.
    Where they LED LCD displays? Those are the only ones I know of that do local dimming. Traditional LCD's use one backlight (CFL tubes) that isnt dimmable by location (all or nothing).
  16. #16  
    Here is my favorite.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  17. #17  
    Earth - Dark
    Attached Images Attached Images
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    This was my first pre wallpaper.
    Props on the MRH wallpaper.
  19. #19  
    Through a Window darkly...
    Attached Images Attached Images
  20. #20  
    Dog
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions