1.    #1  
    Ok, right now I have the treo 650. But I miss being able to check on sports scores, my e-mail and movie times on my phone, so I was thinking about getting the 9800.

Then I read that the treo 700 may be coming out Q1 next year. So I am in a perdiciment (sp?). do I get the 9800 or do I wait for the 700?

To be honest, all I use is the calander and the 9800 looks like it has a decent enough calander, and I know the 700 wil have a great one, but I may be able to sync with my work e-mail and have it pushed to my phone.

so here I sit, having the Treo 650 since it came out, what like 6 months ago already feinding for a new phone (that will have EVDO either way.)

Does anyone have any comments??? Anything would help me right now.

Thanks...
    You don't use Blazer to check your sports scores? Or VersaMail to check your email?
    Because that's how it sounds from your post.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Nice review of the 9800 here.

In my opinion you're comparing apples to oranges. The 650 is a PDA phone. The 9800 is a phone with a keyboard.

I'm also confused by your comment, as rambo47 is,

"I miss being able to check on sports scores, my e-mail and movie times on my phone".

Do you not use the data functions on the Treo? If you don't then I'd say definetly move on to something else.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Any chance of that phone coming to Sprint. I am fairly impressed with it: EVDO, good speakerphone, regular phone look, good sized screen, uber keyboard. I would definetly pay the $300 for it.
    I used the 9800 for a day or two.. worthless imho
    I don't get it. What's the OS of the LG VX9800?
    it's not a smartphone by any means- which means it runs a java based something or other that verizon highly customized with their color schemes and logos and all that...
    it's more akin to a sidekick killer rather than a treo replacement.
    the comparison of apples to oranges is correct... this is in a different class than the treo- and unfortunately costs almost as much.

My girlfriend has the lg 8900 which is a close cousin? to the 9800, everything the 9800 does except for the keyboard... it's a pretty good phone- i get jealous sometimes because it's got voice commands and voice dialing over bluetooth, also the mini-sd card slot has many uses and it's got a built in mp3 player.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    it's not a smartphone by any means- which means it runs a java based something or other that verizon highly customized with their color schemes and logos and all that...
    it's more akin to a sidekick killer rather than a treo replacement.
    the comparison of apples to oranges is correct... this is in a different class than the treo- and unfortunately costs almost as much.

My girlfriend has the lg 8900 which is a close cousin? to the 9800, everything the 9800 does except for the keyboard... it's a pretty good phone- i get jealous sometimes because it's got voice commands and voice dialing over bluetooth, also the mini-sd card slot has many uses and it's got a built in mp3 player.
    What I was thinking. Yup, no comparison, particularly given the equal price range.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparty569
    Ok, right now I have the treo 650. But I miss being able to check on sports scores, my e-mail and movie times on my phone, so I was thinking about getting the 9800.

Then I read that the treo 700 may be coming out Q1 next year. So I am in a perdiciment (sp?). do I get the 9800 or do I wait for the 700?

To be honest, all I use is the calander and the 9800 looks like it has a decent enough calander, and I know the 700 wil have a great one, but I may be able to sync with my work e-mail and have it pushed to my phone.

so here I sit, having the Treo 650 since it came out, what like 6 months ago already feinding for a new phone (that will have EVDO either way.)

Does anyone have any comments??? Anything would help me right now.

Thanks...
    Why don't you look into something like Handmark Express. It's a subscription based service (click here for the subscription fees) which costs $69.95 for the year for the full subscription, or you can pay for only the services you want/need. I used to not even be interested in subscription services, but since I was not able to find similar websites that were available on my old WAP based phones and also nothing that would display the information in a format that was easy to read, I looked into Handmark Express. Now, I love this service and I would highly recommend it.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    You don't use Blazer to check your sports scores? Or VersaMail to check your email?
    Because that's how it sounds from your post.
    Right now I dont use anything to check anything. I dont want to pay $45 a month for internet on my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparty569
    Right now I dont use anything to check anything. I dont want to pay $45 a month for internet on my phone.
    Why would you have to pay $45 per month?
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    Why would you have to pay $45 per month?
    I believe that is what Verizon charges! I know, it's a total rip-off! When Sprint can offer it for $15 and T-Mo can offer it for $19.99, I don't see why Verizon can't offer it for those prices or less, except to gouge their customers.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Does Verizon only offer an un-limited plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    Does Verizon only offer an un-limited plan?
    Yes, they do, for $49.99 (click). Also, they offer a plan for 10MB of usage for $29.99 + $0.005 for each KB over the 10MB limit.

It really sucks that it's that expensive for Verizon users! I cannot believe it.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    i would say if you're not going to use the unit what it's made for then move along. Don't use a viper to go to the store and back, get the minivan....
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetahjeremy
    i would say if you're not going to use the unit what it's made for then move along. Don't use a viper to go to the store and back, get the minivan....
    I got it for the calander, because normal phones were too hard to use and could only hold like 300 appointments, with no easy way to delete old appt's.

I set reminders for everything, pay bills, peoples b-days, football/basketball games.

I got a viper and am using it like a mustang.