1.    #1  
    I have to get another cell phone soon as Cingular is phasing out the type of service I have now and was told that I will need a new phone to go with the new service.

I want to get a smartphone and really like the Treo 650 but don't know if I should wait for the 700. Is there much difference? Is a 1.3 megapixel camera that much better than a .3 that the 650 has? What price do you think the 700 will be? Do you think I should wait for the 700 or should I get the 650 now?
    The answer is it depends - on a lot of things:

Do you want to stay with Cingular? 650 only if you do.

Do you have a preference for Palm OS over Windows?

How important is the camera?

What is your planned usage? Lots of internet and e-mail? Schedule management? Text messaging? Lots of voice minutes?

If I were you, I search the forums based on what is important to you to see what other people's experience is. If - and only if - you still have questions after searching, post them on the appropriate forums.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    I would (now) never base my decision on the quality of a 1.3 Mpixel CMOS camera. They are invariable equally pathetic.

Surur
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Had PDA prior to any PC 10 yrs ago (the original Palm Pilot)

I now use Outlook extensively on PC.
    Have IPAQ Pocket PC currently. Works well with Outlook. This is important to me.
    Have Cingular Cell phone service.

Want to combine Cell/PDA.

What, if any additional software will I need to buy to sync Treo 650 w/ Outlook?

Will Treo 650 do this as seemlessly as IPAQ 5450 running Windows CE 3.0 w/ MS Active Sync?

Will Treo 700 running Windows OS work more seemlessly with Outlook than 650 on Palm OS?

Thanks, TJ
    I would recommend that you wait for the upcoming 650 update and check here at TC on how successful it is. As said on this thread at Cingular 700 could be a long way away yet.
    As far as syncing with Outlook on the 650, checkout Beyond Contacts. If you use Outlook extensively, I am sure you wont be happy with the category limitations of the Palm contacts. Beyond Contacts uses it's own databases which, among other things, alllows you to have multiple categories assigned to a contact.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 300MileTrip
    As far as syncing with Outlook on the 650, checkout Beyond Contacts. If you use Outlook extensively, I am sure you wont be happy with the category limitations of the Palm contacts. Beyond Contacts uses it's own databases which, among other things, alllows you to have multiple categories assigned to a contact.
    I currently don't enter much info on PDA, primarily view. Used to having PC or tablet PC running. This could change, but don't foresee it. My MS version of Outlook on PDA, eg colors on calendar don't transfer. Thus chose NOT to use PDA to sync Outlook on 2 computers b/c lost info.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Sorry for asking, but which update are you referring to?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    I would recommend that you wait for the upcoming 650 update and check here at TC on how successful it is.
    Before you do anything, go over to the "Other Handheld" forum and check out the Cingular 8125 which is to be released in the next two weeks. It will give you good synchronization with Outlook, and a lot of other benefits. You'll be waiting a LONG TIME for a Palm update to the 650 on Cingular.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjhoo
    Sorry for asking, but which update are you referring to?
    Thanks
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=98455
    Do what I did--Get a Treo 650 now and then when the Treo 700 comes out, get it and give the 650 to your girlfriend.