Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    3 things.
    1) You bought the cheapest, slowest, lowest specified ppc available, so performance will almost certainly suck.
    2) WM5 runs from ROM mostly, so is slower to load e.g. icons and graphics and menus than WM2003SE
    3) Regarding no "escape/cancel", that's an MS usability guideline. Go figure

Surur
    Yeah, it was cheap, but suppose I had really hated WM5? Then I'd have had to return the $400-500 machines and suck up an even bigger re-stock fee. Plus the hx models are BRICKS. This is actually thin and still usable. But you're right, it can't be called a speed queen, LOL!

I saw the CNET review for the hx2795, it has faster processor but it's a BRICK! It would at least need to have a phone for me to even consider carrying it around!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 11/21/2005 at 06:04 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    WM 5 needs another 6 months of settling in really. The device drivers need ROM updates, and software needs to be updated. I still haven't seen a device highly specified enough to satisfy me, even from the 20+ WM devices that have been announced recently. I insist on 128MB ram, 128MB ROM, WIFI G, Bluetooth 1.2 at least, USB 2, USB Host, VGA screen. Thats just baseline. On top of that I need some special selling point e.g. built-in GPS or 4GB+ flash storage, or 3G radio. Accepting anything less would mean I'm going backward.

I'm sure if I wait enough some-one will step up to the plate however. However the HTC Universal is staring to look very attractive at about $200 with a $35/month 12 month contract (in UK). Thats positively cheap...

Surur
    I'm waiting for the cool phones too. I tested this PPC just to see what's up. I do like the size, I must say. It has wi-fi and I hate lugging around a laptop. And I can escape calls when I go out yet still be connected(sorta), LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    MS really needs to optimize something just to make these devices *feel* faster. I very briefly tried out playing a video in TCPMP on my 6700 and it seemed like it would be fast enough to satisfy me, but it couldn't switch from portrait to landscape without feeling like it was "chugging" as I watched it redraw the screen? Come on. The good news is that a few tweaks (or trickery) in the right places *ought* to be fairly simple for MS to accomplish to make WM5 devices feel snappier, so perhaps that will happen in the near future.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I realized something. Maybe it's just the model I have, or my inexperience, I'm not sure. So please forgive me for sounding dumb.

BUT: Even though I turn off the PPC and back on, programs are still running? I checked my memory on a hunch and discovered this. I realized programs are running in the background even though I thought I exited them. I think I have to actually shut them down by clicking the selection to turn them off, which I did. But I thought they would shut down anyway when I turned the PPC off. But apparently they were still running when I turned the PPC back on, I think. Is this supposed to be or did I screw up somewhere? Am I supposed to manually shut down the programs before I turn the PPC off?

Yes, apps will continue to run. Turning off the device is more like putting a laptop into "standby" mode. You shouldn't need to shut down apps manually unless you notice things slowing down or acting funny.

And for shutting down apps, you should hunt down a good task switcher app, as the built-in method MS supplies requires far too many steps to get to. There are numerous task switchers available and many of them are free. I'm not a heavy PPC user, but the one I use on my HP iPaq h4155 which I found a long while ago and like is PocketNav (and this one is free). You can quickly switch to other apps or shut down one or more apps.
    Oh, I just thought of something...I'd be surprised if your rx1955 didn't come with its own add-on task switcher by HP. Of course, you may still prefer one of the 3rd party ones like the one I linked to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Yes, apps will continue to run. Turning off the device is more like putting a laptop into "standby" mode. You shouldn't need to shut down apps manually unless you notice things slowing down or acting funny.

And for shutting down apps, you should hunt down a good task switcher app, as the built-in method MS supplies requires far too many steps to get to. There are numerous task switchers available and many of them are free. I'm not a heavy PPC user, but the one I use on my HP iPaq h4155 which I found a long while ago and like is PocketNav (and this one is free). You can quickly switch to other apps or shut down one or more apps.
    Thanks for the info! I'll go to the link.

It was working fine, but a little slow. I was just curious as to how much memory I had left, then why the memory was low, so I checked. This is the low memory model anyway, time for an SD card for anything more than what's installed(I haven't installed anything yet). A higher memory model would probably be better but I'm still not sure I want the higher models because they are too much for just a PDA. And iPAQs seem to be so unpopular in reviews(but then I wonder why people keep buying them).

Palm however, has a really good deal with the TX . Too bad I am now looking at WM5 I actually like it. But Palm just seems more intuitive to me. I have to search all over to find something sometimes in WM5.

I have another question. Will there be a conflict on my laptop syncing 3 different models? When I use the Treo again, I'll need to resync it. I will probably end up syncing this model to download updates and then if I get the phone version, I have to sync that too. And the phone version probably doesn't match the PPC version(or does it?). Am I in trouble?

Active Sync Update already. It clearly must have had problems!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...ivesync41.mspx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12