View Poll Results: Will you leave your current provider to go with Verizon just to get the new Treo 700?

Voters
242. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell no, didnt someone tell Verizon that the "can you hear me now?" guy is played out?

195 80.58%
  • Yes, sure tmobile, I might get more minutes but not the 700.

5 2.07%
  • Yes, I never liked that orange Cingular thing.

13 5.37%
  • Yes, What were you thinking...Sprint+Nextel ?

29 11.98%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Whoever gives me the cheapest EVDO will win. Right now that looks like Sprint and they're my current provider of which I have had no reception issues. Making myself wait for the 700w will be the real test.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Whoever gives me the cheapest EVDO will win. Right now that looks like...
    Sprint-miesters.

I know.

Cingular is getting away with pure, unaulderated HIGHWAY ROBBERY with the data plans and the BlackBerry plans.

I'm seriously thinking about having 2 devices.
    A PPC 6700 on Sprint, and my 650GSM on Ding-ular.
    Unlocked 750v: Voice / Data
    Blackberry 7130c: Private Line
    Motorola v60g T-Mo: Business Voice
    Also HTC TyTN factory; Palm LifeDrive & TX
    7 year Cingular/PacBell veteran.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    3. Even if there is no 700p, I will not convert soon to the WM5 OS...
    Reminds me of when my old boss who said he would never convert to Window 95 (back in 1994/5). He went so far as to start using OS/2.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    EVDO is just too good to pass up. With unlimited EVDO I do not need Wifi. I say that even though I sell Wifi to companies for a living. Wifi is great if you have workers who need to be in the office to get things done but if your out and about it is inconvienent to look for a signal. The exception may be Manhattan may be th exception. There are open networks all over the place there. Not even a need for a Starbucks account. But I spend too much time in the car out and about so come March 16th I will be back with the big expensive guys network.
    No way.

Verizon is delusional when it comes to charging for data and Sprint continues to be extremely aggressive in offer inexpensive unlimited plans. I'll wait for Sprint and the 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Reminds me of when my old boss who said he would never convert to Window 95 (back in 1994/5). He went so far as to start using OS/2.

It's not that I won't change, it's just that I won't change until there is proof that my Palm library of software has been truly orphaned. If the 700p comes to be, I'm good with Palm for at least 2 more years after the 700P's arrival.

Cheers, Perry.
    I have been with Sprint since around 1996. Sure I have had my share if issues, but with a little persistance, they have always fallen on the side of the customer....aka me. Also Data is vital, and I don't think anyone can beat their data prices.
    Verizon: Data prices too high
    T-Mobile: I remember a company called VoiceStream....
    Cingular: Actually considered getting Cingular just to have the Razr, but then I kicked myself in the balls
    Alltel: My fathers says "Can you hear me now" more than the Verizon dude on crack

I will always be a Sprint customer
    My guess is that I am headed for Cingular by the first of the year (assuming the proper handset availability).

The forum owners should give us an additional avatar checkbox in our profiles to let us indicate "Short-timer"...

Maybe then Palm would get a better understanding of what is about to hit them.

The situation is simple: Palm CAN update the 650 to give me access to Direct Push synchronization...if they don't and instead require me to buy a new device...

Why in the world would I buy that new device from them? After all, they just got through demonstrating that they will turn their back on a $600 device in less than a year!?!?!? (Only a FOOL would give them ANOTHER $600.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    It's not that I won't change, it's just that I won't change until there is proof that my Palm library of software has been truly orphaned. If the 700p comes to be, I'm good with Palm for at least 2 more years after the 700P's arrival.

Cheers, Perry.
    Here's what may happen:

What I'm hoping is that this rumored LinuxPalmOS is like Windows 95 was.

You could run...

1) DOS applications (READ: legacy PalmOS apps from 1996-now)
    2) Windows 3.xx apps (so Palm 4.0 and 5.0/Garnet apps...color support, etc)
    3) "32-Bit Windows 95 compatible" blah blah blah; which would be the more stable, robust LinuxPalmOS platform, freeware, shareware and accompanying developer community.

Using a desktop computing analogy; even now, on Windows XP, 13 years after they released the last version of DOS, you can still run DOS apps under WinXP. NOT ALL. But many.

I do wager this is what Palm is pushing towards. A platform for the 21st century and beyond, with a emulator of sorts allowing legacy hardware to be run without compromising stability.

Let us pray
    Unlocked 750v: Voice / Data
    Blackberry 7130c: Private Line
    Motorola v60g T-Mo: Business Voice
    Also HTC TyTN factory; Palm LifeDrive & TX
    7 year Cingular/PacBell veteran.
    dont think so, I like Tmobile and i like my Razr, sidekick and my 600. I get to pick which one i want whenever.
    no way, not switching providers to pay a higher monthly charge and for what I consider to be an inferior device to my current one.

1. Sprint EV-DO at my current $10/month, Verizon can't touch that
    2. 15% discount from Sprint
    3. cheaper voice plan than Verizon
    4. 6700 has wifi, higher resolution screen, and is available now from Sprint
    If you're thinking about switching to a different service for the 700w, you're better off waiting until the device actually comes out so you can get the "new customer" price for the device.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Nope. Neither Verizon nor Sprint have EVDO service in my area, and from what I gather, EVDO will not be available here before 2007. That said, I still would upgrade to the Sprint 700p if/when it becomes available.
    Not me. I've had T-mobile since it was Voicestream and have been happy with their service. I'll just see if the 700 comes out for T-mobile and go from there.
  16.    #36  
    A bit off topic. Its funny how things come full circle. In 1988 I signed up with Airtouch Cellular here in socal and now I am back (kind of but not realy). I was 18 and let me tell you, I about whent broke with their rates. My first phone was a Bag Phone and then I got a 3 Watt DiamondTel handheld phone. I tried to find a picture of it on the web but I couldnt find one. Just for the hell of it I would actually like to find the same model and buy it.

I probably have some kind of tumor after using a handheld cell phones for 17 years but I cant say for sure that the poor vision in my right eye and headaches on the same side are related.

Thanks for all the feedback on this forum along with the votes. It looks like Palm and Verizon better this phone right or they may find themselves with a bit of surplus.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsu21
    Not me. I've had T-mobile since it was Voicestream and have been happy with their service. I'll just see if the 700 comes out for T-mobile and go from there.
    I do know for a fact that it will be on T-Mo. I believe it's supposed to be Q1 of 2006, but I think it's more likely to be q2.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ipxpert
    Gungho, it looks like I might be your neighbor. I am in the city of Orange. Hoorah
    Huntington Beach for me (and little Joey, and momma and..)
    No way.

I am a GSM man all the way.

Plus Verizon costs look out of control!
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Though I own stock in the Verizon company, their policy about crippling Bluetooth is total BS. I can't transfer data between a GSM Treo 650 and a Verizon 650 via Bluetooth! And the DUN switch is completely missing! All for what? so we can load our own ringtones???
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast