1.    #1  
    Been plagued by random resets and reset loops like many others. Yes, I know how to deal with them when they happen, but they're still a pain. What are your thoughts on the new Treo with Windows Mobile? Think it'll have the same problems as the Palm OS? I know my Smartphone never crashed like my 650.
    Individual apps crash, and sometimes they can lock the device up, but spontaneous resets are uncommon. Being forced to reset is less uncommon (due to a lock-up or resource issues (think desktop like)).

Surur
    Sure the 700w could come out of the gate with a bug similar to the 600 reset issue. It may come out picture perfect. That's what makes us early adopters heroes (or suckers). We take the brunt of a new product release.

(maybe we're techno masochists? "Oh yes, yes! Reset on me again you $500 babe!")
    Does the sun rise in the west?
    Do the heavens circle the earth?
    Does the donkey love the elephant?

Will a Treo be bug free on release?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I've owned many CE2.11/PPC/WM devices over the years, and have never had one spontaneously reset itself like my Treo has been known to do. I have had to do a few soft resets from time to time though. I would expect the WM Treo to have similar behavior.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I happen to be one of the few that has a "serves it/them right" attitude.
    OS 5 is circa 2001 kernel and multimedia wise, and as such almost DESERVES to be supplanted by a true multitasking OS such as WM5, with the probably mid-boggling cool addition the Palm/MS Task Force grafted onto it.

WM2003SE and above is positively awesome for things like the emerging EVDO, EDGE, UTMS/HSPDA data networks; multitasking; downloading MM files to the device and then playing them back (grabbing podcasts on the go, anyone? Its possible.); and native support for Office apps and...
    Outlook.

Which speaks for it self, really.

I think this a natural, and healthy progression of the Palm line and brand as a whole.
    I just want to be able to do PowerPoint of my WM Treo. I'm NEVER going to carry the laptop then.
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAllVerbatim
    I happen to be one of the few that has a "serves it/them right" attitude.
    OS 5 is circa 2001 kernel and multimedia wise, and as such almost DESERVES to be supplanted by a true multitasking OS such as WM5, with the probably mid-boggling cool addition the Palm/MS Task Force grafted onto it.

WM2003SE and above is positively awesome for things like the emerging EVDO, EDGE, UTMS/HSPDA data networks; multitasking; downloading MM files to the device and then playing them back (grabbing podcasts on the go, anyone? Its possible.); and native support for Office apps and...
    Outlook.

Which speaks for it self, really.

I think this a natural, and healthy progression of the Palm line and brand as a whole.
    I just want to be able to do PowerPoint of my WM Treo. I'm NEVER going to carry the laptop then.
    Not so fast, Pilgrim.

True, many things have improved in WM5, but you still cannot round trip all your Word/Excel files without format loss, nor can you do anything more than view Powerpointless, wihtout 3rd party apps (here we go laying down serious bread again for Textmaker, Planmaker, and that Powerpoint clone) just like hefting Documents to Go on our cherished Palms.

BTW - OS5 hit the shelves with the Tungsten T in November 2002 - although I'll admit it has (or runs) a lot of 2001 code.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I've owned many CE2.11/PPC/WM devices over the years, and have never had one spontaneously reset itself like my Treo has been known to do. I have had to do a few soft resets from time to time though. I would expect the WM Treo to have similar behavior.
    I'd refine that a bit with my personal experience - I never had a PPC or Palm PDA device (original owner of both a USR Palm Pilot Pro and an Everex A10) spontaneously reset until I entered the Treo jungle with the Treo 300 (a very short-lived experience at that - the T300 went back to Handspring before the 30 day return period expired).

I'm convinced that the resets are cellular radio related, and if the Treo 700W doesn't experience it, that's anecdotal evidence to me that OS5XX can't handle multitasking in a radio environment.
    Yes, I would expect it to reset.

Why? Because its made by palm.
    The Treo700w won't reset as much... it will just blue screen instead.
    As a Windows user since Windows 386, I've become a fan of royal blue screens.

Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I'd refine that a bit with my personal experience - I never had a PPC or Palm PDA device (original owner of both a USR Palm Pilot Pro and an Everex A10) spontaneously reset until I entered the Treo jungle with the Treo 300 (a very short-lived experience at that - the T300 went back to Handspring before the 30 day return period expired).

I'm convinced that the resets are cellular radio related, and if the Treo 700W doesn't experience it, that's anecdotal evidence to me that OS5XX can't handle multitasking in a radio environment.
    Good point, I should have included ALL stand alone PDA's since my 3Com/Palms never spontaneously reset either.

I've often thought kluging a phone radio/software into the POS might have been a main factor in the resets, but that's only speculation on my part.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I thinl it will depend on which flavor of Windows desktop os WM5 behaves like. If it performs like Windows 98, it won't be pleasant at all - lock ups, resets 'til the cows come home. However I have found XP to be very reliable. I only reboot my PC at work about once every 4-6 weeks because perfoemance degrades over time. However, I have no experience with the mobile flavors. Based on your experiences, how does it compare?

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    I once had to reboot my linux box because the bakelite (no really bakelite - but that insulator stuff) around the power plug was disintegrating due to age and we needed to solder the power plug into the power supply.

Recently, my server box has only been getting months between reboots - usually because of desired kernel upgrades.

I have a number of Windows boxes (mostly running XP) that typically stay up for months at a time, but they are running dedicated applications.
    Does the sun rise in the west?
    Do the heavens circle the earth?
    Does the donkey love the elephant?

Will a Treo be bug free on release?
    How can you be so sure it'll be bug free?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    How can you be so sure it'll be bug free?
    I agree. It wouldn't follow history (Treo).
    skfny & farzonalmaneih:

Please read again - are each of the first three statements true? NO. So, is the last line NO as well? Get it.

It's called sarcasm.
    skfny & farzonalmaneih:

Please read again - are each of the first three statements true? NO. So, is the last line NO as well? Get it.

It's called sarcasm.
    I work in the mobile and have deployed hunderds of CE 3.0, PPC 2002, and CE 4.2 devices with 802.11 and GPRS radios, and have NEVER had one reset like my T650, the windows mobile platform behaves similar to windows 2000 as far as stability goes, your app may crash but it rarley will crash your OS, unlike how palm os works, where almost all app crashes causes a OS crash...
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih

It's called sarcasm.

I think the HTC (particularly the Wizard) may be the ticket. In trodding over several different PPC sites, I've yet to see a series of threads with disgusted users slamming the resets on their PPC phones. Hopefully that will spill over to the Treo 700W to my surprise.