Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1.    #1  
    under storage i have total 62.94 mb and in program i have 25.45mb
  2. #2  
    Thanks. So roughly 37MB free or is the WM5 not counted? How much free ram is available?
  3. #3  
    WM5 apps are loaded into rom not ram. The 25mb free ram he has is used to run programs. The more ram available, the more apps he can run at once (multitasking)
  4. Cartman's Avatar
    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    #4  
    We know the device has 64MB's of RAM...plenty of space for program execution. What is unknown is the amount of storage space (persistant storage as they call it now).

    That will be either 64MB or 128MB's.. either would be fine..128MB's is my guess but 64 would be ok too. WM5 (the OS) will take up some of the persistent storage space and some of the RAM when running. Also any of the included apps will take up persistent storage space...and RAM when they are running... works very much like your desktop computer in WM5...i.e. RAM=RAM and Persistent Storage=your hard drive
  5. #5  
    gex - that's exactly what I'm after - the amount of usable persistent/flash storage available after WM5 boots and allocates it's own runtime dynamic memory (in addition to what might be in rom)

    Why do you think it's 128MB when 64MB is what has been advertised? It seems to me the marketing guys would use the biggest number even if it wasn't the total usable-for-apps-and-data amount.

    Not having experience with WM5 devices, I'm sort of asking questions in the dark. I'm going to have to go window shopping just to get more educated . I wish they'd announce the 700p specs so we'd know if it looks to fix the shortcomings of the 650.
  6. #6  
    Advertised? They haven't announced the specs of the 700w yet.
  7. Cartman's Avatar
    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    #7  
    I think its 128MB's of persistant storage since every WM5 device to date has had 64MB Ram and 128MB's of persistant storage.

    The reason why it dosnt really matter (how much persistant storage there is) is because you can use a SD card with up to 2GB's just the same as the internal persistant storage.

    Memory *should* not be an issue. In WM2003SE we had devices with 64MB's RAM that doubled as both storage and available memory and you could select how much you wanted devoted to storage vs. memory.

    As you could imagine using the 64MB of RAM for both storage and available memory was an issue but it was workable.

    Now with 64MB of RAM available just for program execution there is plenty until app developers start getting lazy and not optimize their code to run in as little memory as possible.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    Advertised? They haven't announced the specs of the 700w yet.
    Yea, you're right. "Advertised" was the wrong word - more like "strongly rumoured". I can't remember if the "3 CEOs" mentioned "64MB" or not.

    gex - thanks for info. I was wondering if WM5 supporting paging or not. From your post, it sounds like it does.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    I can't remember if the "3 CEOs" mentioned "64MB" or not.
    I don't remember exactly, but I think just about the only thing they confirmed was that it has EV-DO and uses the same accessories as the 650.

    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    The reason why it dosnt really matter (how much persistant storage there is) is because you can use a SD card with up to 2GB's just the same as the internal persistant storage.
    Whoah. You mean in the way that you can't do that with the 650? That'd be nice...
  10. #10  
    I pulled the "64MB" from the engadget article. Yea, I know it's not a golden source, but they did have one in hand and below the pics, it said
    A few confirmed specs: Windows Mobile 5.0, one megapixel camera, EV-DO, Bluetooth, 64MB of memory, still trying to conclusively determine the resolution of the display, but it looks to our eyes like its 240 x 240 pixels, not 320 x 320. But were not 100% on that, ok?
  11. #11  
    ok
  12. Cartman's Avatar
    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    Whoah. You mean in the way that you can't do that with the 650? That'd be nice...
    Sorry, I am not very familiar with the 600/650
    I like the form factor so im very excited to see WM coming to the a Palm Treo and will most likely use it as my primary device once it comes out.

    Currently use a Samsung i730 on VZW with WM2003SE.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Currently use a Samsung i730 on VZW with WM2003SE.
    Glad to see we are winning converts to the WM Palm from all over the WM spectrum.

    This, hardcore Palm is why a WM Treo is a great idea. Attract those that would normally not come to the party.

    Classic story. It's in Disney movies all the time
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Sorry, I am not very familiar with the 600/650
    I like the form factor so im very excited to see WM coming to the a Palm Treo and will most likely use it as my primary device once it comes out.

    Currently use a Samsung i730 on VZW with WM2003SE.
    The 650's file and memory handling is awful...
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    gex - that's exactly what I'm after - the amount of usable persistent/flash storage available after WM5 boots and allocates it's own runtime dynamic memory (in addition to what might be in rom)

    Why do you think it's 128MB when 64MB is what has been advertised? It seems to me the marketing guys would use the biggest number even if it wasn't the total usable-for-apps-and-data amount.

    Not having experience with WM5 devices, I'm sort of asking questions in the dark. I'm going to have to go window shopping just to get more educated . I wish they'd announce the 700p specs so we'd know if it looks to fix the shortcomings of the 650.
    I think it will have 64 RAM and 128 ROM, this is the configuration for every WM5 device out there. On my 6700, there was only something like 30-40 mb of ROM left for installing apps out of the box so this would seem to indicate that WM5 takes up more than 64 mbs and thus why a 64 ROM/64 RAM configuration would be unlikely. Furthermore, you will also notice that no device that runs WM2003 and has only 64 ROM has a WM5 upgrade available for it, only those with 128 ROM are the ones with upgrades available.
  16. #16  
    Not true. The loox 720 has only 64MB rom and is getting the WM5 upgrade, and the recent HP 1975? has only 32MB ram and 64MB rom.

    Surur
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAllVerbatim
    Glad to see we are winning converts to the WM Palm from all over the WM spectrum.
    It might even have a chance at winning back some folks that found Palm OS too constraining and left for the PPC world years ago.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Not true. The loox 720 has only 64MB rom and is getting the WM5 upgrade, and the recent HP 1975? has only 32MB ram and 64MB rom.

    Surur
    well that's news to me. even so, after the WM5 upgrade on these devices, I doubt there will be much room left for installing programs (considering how much ROM is left after a hard reset on my 6700) crippling the device in some ways (yes, I know you can install to storage card but some programs don't like that) and thus why I think Palm will not cripple the device by putting a mere 64 ROM on the 700w.
  19. Cartman's Avatar
    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin02
    I think it will have 64 RAM and 128 ROM...
    I wouldnt really call it ROM... the OS will take a part of the available Persistent Storage (its made up of Flash Memory) and that part will not be usable...so in a way that part of the Flash Memory is being used as if it was ROM but it is still physically Flash Memory none the less.

    I used to work in the DRAM/Memory business for years

    The amount of Persistent Storage taken up by the OS is also dependant on the number and size of additional apps built in. Expect the WMTreo to have a few additional apps on top of the standard OS.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    The amount of Persistent Storage taken up by the OS is also dependant on the number and size of additional apps built in. Expect the WMTreo to have a few additional apps on top of the standard OS.
    Call it what you will, I'm sticking to calling it ROM. But you are exactly correct, the amount of space taken up by the OS very much depends on the number and size of additional builtin apps and since Palm will almost surely have added software to bring the OS up to Treo one-handed standards, that's why I doubt Palm will have 64 ROM, that's just won't leave enough room for much user-installed apps. Every new WM5 PPC phone has 64 RAM/128 ROM for a good reason, I don't think Palm will be changing that but I guess we'll see.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions