Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    I have been a Treo fan now for only two devices, the Treo 600 and Treo 650. I truly loved both devices and had planned to move to the new Treo when released. With palmone moving to the WM5 platform I was a little concerned, but when they decided to make it an exclusive until the 2nd half of 06, this was the final nail in my Treo coffin. I am with Sprint, so I looked at how much it would cost me to get a Treo 700w when released......

Current sprint contract: (3 Phones)

2000-anytime min
    Unlimited Vision
    Unlimited SMS
    Night & weekends @ 7 ($5.00)
    Free Sprint to Sprint
    Sprint Business Connect ($5.00)
    Sprint replacement program ($4.00)

Cost approx. $85/month after discounts (USAA and corporate)

Would have to cancel contract with sprint.....
    3 Phones to cancel it would cost $175/phone = $525

To purchase the new Treo I estimate the cost @ $675

New Verizion contract:

$99/month - voice plan
    $40/month - data plan

$139/month total plan cost.

So the total for the initial move over to verizon would cost me: $ 1339
    Not to mention almost $700 over the course of the calendar year due to higher wireless usage charges.

I think it is bad enough that the windows Treo will not be released in till Jan 2006, but even worse it will be exclusive to verizon. I do not think many will leave their current carriers to get this phone. Like I said before I do not necessarily have a problem with windows being on a Treo, I have a problem with you making me wait to get it. By the time the new Treo makes it to sprint half the year will be gone and it will be obsolete.

As for now my 650 has been ebayed and I now use a PPC-6700. In my opinion it has a better feature set than the new Treo will have......and by the way.....I have it now. When the 700 comes out I will have had a WM5 device for 3 months or so. By the time the 700 comes to sprint Shadowmite and others will have hacked into the Treo 700 api and taken the good parts of its functionality and brought it to my PPC-6700 (SMS call reply feature, and SMS thread messaging.)

So goodbye Treo for now. If palmone can catch up and get two steps ahead of the game like you did with the 650 I may return.......but I think the Treo as we know it........ has changed forever.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Couldn't your 650's could of lasted another year ?
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Im sorry, but as a verizon user I must laugh at your pity party. We always got the devices last. So when a sprint user whines about not being first...sorry man Im just not feeelin for ya
    I still believe there will be a Treo 700palm in the first Q of 06 on - Sprint. The Verizon exclusivity is only on the Windows Mobile version.

Do not give up hope.
    It cost you a lot becuase you have 3 lines. Why don't you get the ppc 6700 and sell the treo. Probably will cost you about 300 bux. Oh wait you already did lol.

Going from the 6700 to the 700w would be a downgrade.
    Last edited by whatever7; 10/16/2005 at 10:54 PM.
    I think sprint probably was interested in the wm treo but maybe they didn't want to pull the trigger early. There are benefits to getting it after the first carrier.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Agreed.
    I'm Cingular, but gd it, Verizon's been getting shafted FOREVER.
    As long as I can remember, they've been getting phone DEAD LAST.
    I'm talking about I had a unlocked GSM Treo 600 in late October 2003, it was released a little while later.
    And guess what? This was when I was living in SoCal, next to LOS ANGELES, a major place to roll out...anything.

And I didn't see a Treo 600 in the Glendale Mall Verizon kiosk until late July 2004.
    Now, for corporate customers that were on Verizon, that must've been frustrating and downright unaccpetable; here are they bearely rolling out the 600 and the 650 was being leaked at that point.

So, Cingular dropped the ball.
    Sprint, too. Excuse me, SexTel.
    And everyone's favorite overseas carrier virus, T-Mobile.
    Verizon, for once, got a chance for exclusivity for once, and is making damn sure they are first to bat with the 700w.

And they will snatch up all the 3-year old PDA/Cell users and old Treo or WM users.
    Because they bought all their hardware via corporate sales late 2002, or summer 2003, and the leases are up...

Verizon is going to make a killing. Microsoft, with no real reason, is going to assert itself even more in the marketplace and the Exchange/Outlook "push" implementation will become the next Blackberry solution-esque platform.
    And Palm? The next Sony.
    No matter what it runs, the design is cool and initutive, and with major marketing and corporate push behind it will sell.
    A major hospital in Boston has already expressed interest in rolling these out; I will not say which, it is rather prestigous. We're talking 800-1200 units here. And an Exchange solution to match.

2006-7 is going to be interesting.

"Meet the new boss; same as the old boss."
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    ...but when they decided to make it an exclusive until the 2nd half of 06, this was the final nail in my Treo coffin...
    Yikes, another "Last nail in the coffin" thread....
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    You all are funny.....thats why I cannot stay away from this forum....
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....