Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    ActiveSync is compatible with all ActiveSync devices using AUTD. The actual title of the feature pack is "Messaging & Security Feature Pack for Windows Mobile 5.0" and how I am reading the below, the improvements will only work on those phones with WM5:

It is confusing.
    The Messaging & Security Feature Pack for Windows Mobile 5.0 is not out yet... not even on devices that currently have WM5. It is an upgrade to the Windows Mobile OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    From my understanding you cannot test the non-AUTD push features of Exchange SP2 until they release the Messaging and Security Pack.

I have installed SP2, and it works great with AUTD. Tasks are there now, and it syncs faster. The install was very easy.
    What device?
    elbastardocalvo
    ...GoodLink is the leading provider of wireless email for industry standard devices, of which WM5 driven devices are are a part....
    Just to help me understand your thinking, please give me a clear and fact-based explanation of this statement.

What does "the leading provider of wireless email" mean...

What does "industry standard devices" mean...

After all, there are TENS of MILLIONS of "industry-standard" cellphones out there with wireless email clients on them, all dutifully being "provided for" by their network operators...
    Quote Originally Posted by elbastardocalvo
    What device?
    i-mate PDA2K (blueangel) with WM5
    Seimens SX66 (blueangel) with WM5
    i-mate K-Jam (wizard) with WM5
  5.    #85  
    From my understanding you cannot test the non-AUTD push features of Exchange SP2 until they release the Messaging and Security Pack.

I have installed SP2, and it works great with AUTD. Tasks are there now, and it syncs faster. The install was very easy.
    So, are you saying that MSFP wasn't released with SP2 today?
    Quote Originally Posted by delta_baggage
    Just to help me understand your thinking, please give me a clear and fact-based explanation of this statement.

After all, there are TENS of MILLIONS of "industry-standard" cellphones out there with wireless email clients on them, all dutifully being "provided for" by their network operators...
    I always love when people say "leading...." blah blah of blah. It sounds big, but really means nothing. Blackberry is the number 1, undisputable champion of wireless email.
    So, are you saying that MSFP wasn't released with SP2 today?
    Correct.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy
    I would check with your tech support as Good DOES use SMS. We had a problem with one of our accounts that SMS was totally disabled. That was causing problems with Good as it couldn't get the SMS message to tell it to check for new messages.
    Skippy,

If you had a Cingular customer that canceled text messaging, they would lose ALL Internet connectivity including GoodLink access. We had that happen to one of our people.

It wasn't that GoodLink needed SMS, it was Cingular wouldn't allow Internet connectivity without SMS. A goofy way they have their accounts set up.

Not sure if this is what happened to you, but that is what happened here.
    i-mate PDA2K (blueangel) with WM5
    Seimens SX66 (blueangel) with WM5
    i-mate K-Jam (wizard) with WM5
    Cool, thanks.
    elbastardocalvo
  10.    #90  

Fair enough (though still off topic )

You need to combine "leading provider of email" and "industry standard devices"

Good is consistently pointed to as the #2 provider of wireless email, behind Blackberry. This is where it can get hairy as it relates to the definition of 'industry standard' and 'proprietary'. Most consider Blackberry a proprietary system, though there are those that would argue since GoodLink is not open-source, it is proprietary as well, but I think you get my gist. By industry standard devices, I should have said industry standard converged devices and/or smartphones. In other words, devices running industry standard operating systems such PalmOS, Windows Mobile and PocketPC.

To your point of cellular carriers offering email, maybe an additional clarification should be "third-party" email provider.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Go here to read more about SP2 and its benefits:
    Top 10 Reasons to Install Exchange Server 2003 SP2

The part were talking about though is in the FAQ. Here is an excerpt of it:

Q. Which devices are compatible with the new mobility features of SP2?
    A. Microsoft Windows Mobile–based devices require the Messaging and Security Feature Pack for Windows Mobile 5.0. Devices and upgrades with the Messaging and Security Feature pack will be available sometime in early 2006 through major device makers (OEMs) and mobile operator partners. Contact your device maker or mobile operator for more details regarding availability, or visit the Windows Mobile Web site and learn about signing up for e-mail announcements delivered directly to you. Additionally, Exchange ActiveSync is licensed to other equipment and software manufacturers, enabling them to offer devices and applications that synchronize directly with Exchange Server. To read about Exchange ActiveSync and the devices that interoperate with Exchange Server, see the Exchange Server 2003 and Mobile Devices page.
    Link to Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2: Frequently Asked Questions
    There are no devices on the market that currently support the new AUTD "push" features of SP2. The old AUTD is there though...and I think they may have enhanced that as well.
    A little revisionist scandal from Microsoft!

(EDIT on 10/20: As predicted the Google cache described below has been "refreshed" today. Why would Google re-cache a page that doesn't change? The petri.co.il link is still good however, and as I said, I have some scans...)

Compare this page to this cached version...QUICKLY!

What will you find (or NOT find)?

The following text was deleted today, apparently:

"Licensees of the Exchange ActiveSync protocol (such as palmOne, Motorola, Nokia, Symbian) can take advantage of these improvements through updates to their messaging applications or devices. The roadmap for those devices is owned and managed by the licensee."

And now Microsoft has re-written a lot of the original materials to link DirectPush to MSFP (when it originally wasn't); and remove any reference to the third-party devices.

(As an aside, it is interesting that you cannot save the cached page locally; unless you jump to the text only version...which you can. It appears they even MOVED THE GRAPHIC just to prevent people from capturing the cached original!)

I did print out the pages in question (and grabbed screens), so I can always post scans once the Google cache is "disappeared".

I knew something was wrong because I originally posted (and quoted that very text) back in June in this posting. Only when I followed the link in that post, the quoted text was missing...

Here's a link to the original text as quoted on petri--just in case you don't believe me.

Remember, you heard it here first!
    Last edited by delta_baggage; 10/20/2005 at 05:43 PM. Reason: To report that Google's cache has been triggered...
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Dont think I really understand this post... but if MS is going to offer the upgrade to WM5 devices outside of third parties (either the mobile operator or the device manufactur) then that is VERY much prefered.

What we have seen in the past is that device manufacturers and mobile operators are reluctant and slow to come out with OS updates. If it is available directly from MS you will have it much faster.

They are moving to the "Window/Microsoft Update" desktop model in Windows Mobile so you will no longer have to rely on the manufacture or mobile operator for updates.
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Go here to read more about SP2 and its benefits:
    Top 10 Reasons to Install Exchange Server 2003 SP2

The part were talking about though is in the FAQ. Here is an excerpt of it:

Link to Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2: Frequently Asked Questions
    There are no devices on the market that currently support the new AUTD "push" features of SP2. The old AUTD is there though...and I think they may have enhanced that as well.
    From what I read here, it seems that AUTD is faster.

I was under the impression that the Sprint 6700 was ready for SP2.
  15.    #95  

The following text was deleted today, apparently:

"Licensees of the Exchange ActiveSync protocol (such as palmOne, Motorola, Nokia, Symbian) can take advantage of these improvements through updates to their messaging applications or devices. The roadmap for those devices is owned and managed by the licensee."

And now Microsoft has re-written a lot of the original materials to link DirectPush to MSFP (when it originally wasn't); and remove any reference to the third-party devices.

Here's a link to the original text as quoted on petri--just in case you don't believe me.

Nice catch. When I saw that initially, it made me wonder as I was under the impression that WM5 driven devices were the only ones that were going to support the new features and that the others (those already supporting AUTD) were going to be continued to be supported less the new features.
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    I don't think the FAQ you linked to says that; in fact, i think that the Mobile Devices FAQ specifically includes devices that support the ActiveSync protocol.
    elbastardocalvo
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by elbastardocalvo
    I don't think the FAQ you linked to says that; in fact, i think that the Mobile Devices FAQ specifically includes devices that support the ActiveSync protocol.
    We are talking about two different things. ActiveSync is the current version of the push email solution from MSFT. MSFP is the feature in SP2 that adds the additional functionality.
    We are talking about two different things. ActiveSync is the current version of the push email solution from MSFT. MSFP is the feature in SP2 that adds the additional functionality.
    My reading is that the new push features are being incorporated into the umbrella brand "ActiveSync":

"Exchange ActiveSync

Exchange ActiveSync is a communication protocol that enables mobile, "over-the-air" access to your e-mail messages, schedules, contacts, tasks lists, and other Exchange Server mailbox data. Exchange ActiveSync is available on both Windows Mobile–based devices and Exchange ActiveSync–enabled devices offered through Microsoft partners [Such as Treo's]. By taking advantage of Exchange ActiveSync through compatible devices and software, you can avoid the added cost of middleware or service fees.

New with Exchange Server 2003 SP2 is Direct Push Technology, enabling a seamless push e-mail experience for compatible devices. Exchange ActiveSync uses an encrypted HTTPS connection established and maintained between the device and the server to push new e-mail messages, schedules, contact information, and tasks to the device. Synchronization is much faster with enhanced data compression translating to a faster experience when sending and receiving messages. The Exchange ActiveSync protocol also provides for control over mobile devices, including new abilities in SP2 to provision and enforce device security policies."

Link.
    Last edited by elbastardocalvo; 10/19/2005 at 05:22 PM.
    elbastardocalvo
  19.    #99  
    You need to scroll down the next paragraph:

"Windows Mobile–based Devices
    Exchange ActiveSync compatibility is built into Windows Mobile–based devices. You experience the same familiar Microsoft Office Outlook environment extended from your desktop or laptop to your mobile device. And, of course, you enjoy the benefits of the direct integration with Exchange ActiveSync, avoiding expensive middleware or service fees that might be required with other mobile solutions.

Improvements in Exchange Server SP2 are available for devices that run the Microsoft Messaging and Security Feature Pack for Windows Mobile 5.0. The Feature Pack, together with SP2, is the latest set of improvements to the Microsoft mobile messaging solution. SP2 and the Messaging and Security Feature Pack provide a better Microsoft Office Outlook Mobile experience while making it easier than ever to manage and control devices. To find out about Windows Mobile 5.0 devices that include the Messaging and Security Feature Pack, visit the Windows Mobile 5.0 Messaging and Security Feature Pack page on the Microsoft Windows Mobile site."
    You need to scroll down the next paragraph:

"Windows Mobile–based Devices
    Exchange ActiveSync compatibility is built into Windows Mobile–based devices. You experience the same familiar Microsoft Office Outlook environment extended from your desktop or laptop to your mobile device. And, of course, you enjoy the benefits of the direct integration with Exchange ActiveSync, avoiding expensive middleware or service fees that might be required with other mobile solutions.

Improvements in Exchange Server SP2 are available for devices that run the Microsoft Messaging and Security Feature Pack for Windows Mobile 5.0. The Feature Pack, together with SP2, is the latest set of improvements to the Microsoft mobile messaging solution. SP2 and the Messaging and Security Feature Pack provide a better Microsoft Office Outlook Mobile experience while making it easier than ever to manage and control devices. To find out about Windows Mobile 5.0 devices that include the Messaging and Security Feature Pack, visit the Windows Mobile 5.0 Messaging and Security Feature Pack page on the Microsoft Windows Mobile site."

Agreed, but that only pertains to WM5 devices, which are only some of the devices that use ActiveSync. it does not include (or exclude) Palm and/or other licensees. Again, this is at best ambiguous.
    elbastardocalvo
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast