Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I am wondering if this will push Good to support sending attachments from the device as I believe that will be available in the MS solution. The second note is MS solution only requires a data connection from the device as Good requires a data connection AND SMS service (if you want "real time push". Good uses SMS messages to the device to tell it to wake up and check for the updates sitting on the GL server.). My 2 cents...

Skippy
  2.    #42  
    Good does not use SMS on Cingular, Sprint or T-Mobile. Attachment support is due in the first half of next year.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Good does not use SMS on Cingular, Sprint or T-Mobile. Attachment support is due in the first half of next year.
    What about Verizon? No attachments?
  4.    #44  
    No, there will be attachments for VZN. The mention of the other carriers was more towards the use of SMS.
    Buh bye good.

I am not sorry at all that GoodLink will go down.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    Buh bye good.

Sorry to hear that. However, I am also sorry to tell you that won't happen. Several reasons why:

1) I saw BB Connect yesterday. Very lacking. No sync of contacts, no management, no OTA, no sub-folder sync and that is just for starters.

2) This actually, IMO, helps us. The biggest challenge I have in selling Good is the difference in the cost of the devices between Treo and Blackberry. When people get the Treo's in hand and realize how lacking BB Connect is, it will be much easier to get GoodLink into those organizations because they will already have the devices.

People have been calling for our demise pretty much since our inception. Our growth has been exponential (beyond that of RIMM), the most recent Gartner Magic Quadrant Report has Good as the leading visionary company in the wireless space, we have signed carrier agreements with two carriers (with negotiations going on for the others, from what I understand). Don't you think that the carriers would do their due dilligence before providing a solution to their customers? You have your reasons for for disliking Good, but to think that a product that has been announced for two years, and doesn't have near the feature/functionality that the enterprise demands and has become used to is going to end us is ludicrous.
    Buh bye good.

You have to wonder sometimes why people write stuff like that.

It's better that Good stays around. Without Good or MS, BB4.0 probably would have never seen the light, for instance.

Competition is good (no pun intended). And from what I've seen, Goodlink 4.5 is still much better than what MSFT and RIM has -- for now. I eagerly await the nextgen products.
    I would check with your tech support as Good DOES use SMS. We had a problem with one of our accounts that SMS was totally disabled. That was causing problems with Good as it couldn't get the SMS message to tell it to check for new messages.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy
    I would check with your tech support as Good DOES use SMS. We had a problem with one of our accounts that SMS was totally disabled. That was causing problems with Good as it couldn't get the SMS message to tell it to check for new messages.
    Skippy, I guarantee you that version 4.0 and up on Cingular and Sprint does not use SMS. Verizon, it still does. This is the entire basis of Global Connect which is why we do not need carrier agreements with foreign carriers to connect overseas.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Skippy, I guarantee you that version 4.0 and up on Cingular and Sprint does not use SMS. Verizon, it still does. This is the entire basis of Global Connect which is why we do not need carrier agreements with foreign carriers to connect overseas.
    Hope you guys get off of SMS with Verizon soon... From personal experiance, relying on SMS as the trigger (or for anything else) is a bad bet.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    So... getting back on topic

We've received a few rumors that Microsoft may be planning to release Exchange 2003 SP2 as early as tomorrow. SP2, for those of you who don't know, adds in task synchronization with the server during ActiveSync, as well as push email. The push email implementation is designed to maintain a constant link with the server so that as new email arrives, it's pushed to the device. This is what made Blackberry famous, and now it appears that the Pocket PC Platform will support this same capability very shortly!
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    So... getting back on topic
    I saw that. Amazing. If they do actually release it early, it will be interesting to see if they get the remote wipe capabilty in it since it wasn't in the beta or if any of the other features are not there in the initial release.
  13.    #53  
    Hope you guys get off of SMS with Verizon soon... From personal experiance, relying on SMS as the trigger (or for anything else) is a bad bet.
    I know it is off-topic, but we are working with VZN on this very thing.
    I unerstand you do not need SP2 to make push work if you enable "Always Update to Date" (AUTD). This sends a hidden SMS message to the 6700 when you get new mail and invokes a sync on the 6700. Thi gives you a psuedo-push which is all anyoe can do right now as I understand it from a lot of searching and reading. So I am betting Good is sending an SMS to the PPC to tell it to trigger a mail pull. By the way I am hearing the SP2 will be reeased but the WM5 "Feature Pack" will not be out till Q1 2006 so little good that does us.

Good is just to expensive for me. I would have to give up the maid...laughng...

G
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    By the way I am hearing the SP2 will be reeased but the WM5 "Feature Pack" will not be out till Q1 2006 so little good that does us.
    Yup, they will need to update WM5 to support the feature. Dont know when that will be released but I expect it to be pre-installed on the WM Treo when it comes out.

But hey..with SP2 at least there uping the 18GB file store limit on Exchange without having to buy the Enterprise edition for 4K(?) more!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy
    You have to wonder sometimes why people write stuff like that.

It's better that Good stays around. Without Good or MS, BB4.0 probably would have never seen the light, for instance.

Competition is good (no pun intended). And from what I've seen, Goodlink 4.5 is still much better than what MSFT and RIM has -- for now. I eagerly await the nextgen products.
    The reason is because Good Technology is not a good company. The technology is great, don't get me wrong. The people that run it are miserable. Unethical. You wouldn't know this unless you worked there or directly worked with them.

Anyways, enough of that. Why would anyone use goodlink when Microsoft will give it away for free? What GoodAccess? lol That product has never made it. The only saving grace for Good would be supporting other email systems, but then again.. RIM already owns that space.

Want to read some real dirt on Good Technology? Then go to (edited for launguage, but you can guess the URL easy) www.f**kedcompany.com . Find stuff on Good.
  17.    #57  
    The reason is because Good Technology is not a good company. The technology is great, don't get me wrong. The people that run it are miserable. Unethical. You wouldn't know this unless you worked there or directly worked with them.

Anyways, enough of that. Why would anyone use goodlink when Microsoft will give it away for free? What GoodAccess? lol That product has never made it. The only saving grace for Good would be supporting other email systems, but then again.. RIM already owns that space.

Want to read some real dirt on Good Technology? Then go to (edited for launguage, but you can guess the URL easy) www.f**kedcompany.com . Find stuff on Good.
    While this is entirely off-topic, I take offense to your comments. I do work here. While there have been some business decisions that I may not have agreed with, we are a start-up and things move very quickly with a start-up. Unless you have solid proof of ethical issues, I suggest you contain your comments to the topic at hand. The fact is that we had a reorganization and part of that reorganization, unfortunately, was that people were let go. If you are going to f'd company for "facts", you need to rethink where you go for information.

Now, as for your ON topic comments. I can give you a laundry list of why GoodLink over MSFT SP2, but this thread is not Good vs MSFT, though some want it to be. If you want to get into that discussion, then start a thread telling me why MSFT over GoodLink and I will gladly respond.

GoodAccess is 7 months old, so to pass judgement at this time would be premature. However, I can tell you that I have sold it and people are using it and the response has been, in general, good. The next version of GoodAccess will be even better, based on what I have seen and heard from testers. Notes support is due early next year and RIM FAR from owns that space. Acceptance of their Notes solution has been lukewarm at best as they and Intellisync are the only players in the Notes space, it is somewhat similar to RIM 5 years ago when they were the only player in town.
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I unerstand you do not need SP2 to make push work if you enable "Always Update to Date" (AUTD). This sends a hidden SMS message to the 6700 when you get new mail and invokes a sync on the 6700. Thi gives you a psuedo-push which is all anyoe can do right now as I understand it from a lot of searching and reading. So I am betting Good is sending an SMS to the PPC to tell it to trigger a mail pull. By the way I am hearing the SP2 will be reeased but the WM5 "Feature Pack" will not be out till Q1 2006 so little good that does us.

Good is just to expensive for me. I would have to give up the maid...laughng...

G
    Only on Verizon do we use SMS, and that is Verizon's decision, not ours. The other carriers, we do not use an SMS trigger. Our version for the 6700 will not use SMS. From what I am reading, SP2 does not use SMS triggers either. As for Good being too expensive, as I have said, we have not targetted the individual user. There are great solutions out there, ie, Chatter, for that segment. I wish we did have a solution for individuals, but that is not my decision to make.
  19.    #59  
    Yup, they will need to update WM5 to support the feature. Dont know when that will be released but I expect it to be pre-installed on the WM Treo when it comes out.
    Ahh..patch #1? It will have to be part of Exchange to be enabled, but I don't know what would be needed on the handheld.

But hey..with SP2 at least there uping the 18GB file store limit on Exchange without having to buy the Enterprise edition for 4K(?) more!
    It seems there are some nice additional features with SP2 that are getting overlooked in all the hype about push email.
    While this is entirely off-topic, I take offense to your comments. I do work here. While there have been some business decisions that I may not have agreed with, we are a start-up and things move very quickly with a start-up. Unless you have solid proof of ethical issues, I suggest you contain your comments to the topic at hand. The fact is that we had a reorganization and part of that reorganization, unfortunately, was that people were let go. If you are going to f'd company for "facts", you need to rethink where you go for information.

Now, as for your ON topic comments. I can give you a laundry list of why GoodLink over MSFT SP2, but this thread is not Good vs MSFT, though some want it to be. If you want to get into that discussion, then start a thread telling me why MSFT over GoodLink and I will gladly respond.

GoodAccess is 7 months old, so to pass judgement at this time would be premature. However, I can tell you that I have sold it and people are using it and the response has been, in general, good. The next version of GoodAccess will be even better, based on what I have seen and heard from testers. Notes support is due early next year and RIM FAR from owns that space. Acceptance of their Notes solution has been lukewarm at best as they and Intellisync are the only players in the Notes space, it is somewhat similar to RIM 5 years ago when they were the only player in town.
    I have 100% solid proof. But that is not for the forums.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast