Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Come one, come all, whether Cingular, T-Mobile, Rogers, etc.
    This is the thread we shall await, and discuss, the GSM version of the Treo 700.
    Unlocked 750v: Voice / Data
    Blackberry 7130c: Private Line
    Motorola v60g T-Mo: Business Voice
    Also HTC TyTN factory; Palm LifeDrive & TX
    7 year Cingular/PacBell veteran.
    ...sure to be full of accurate information and facts...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    ...sure to be full of accurate information and facts...
    You mean the rumor that it can be had on the black market for a princely sum of, oh, $599?

Cruel Internet rumors make baby jesus cry.

But, I digress, back on topic:
    Any word on Cingular rolling this out? Any of you KGB Cingular moles care to let us know? I can't wait for this to come out...
    right now there is a treo on windows (700w) to be released with verizon the exclusive carrier for at least a few months. This is due in early 06.

there are unsubstantiated rumors regaring a palm, palm/linux, linus treo to be released any time from this month to late 06. These are nothing more than rumors at this point as is any carrier-specific info beyond the verizon info.

that is all.
    Dutch said: <<rumors regaring a palm, palm/linux, linus treo to be released >>

I am not interested in the Linus Treo... I'm afraid it would be soggy from Linus' thumb-sucking, and dirty on the other end from being dragged everywhere.
    Good Grief!

Now a Linux or Palm/Linux Treo.... I might have fun with Tux.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Historically, GSM users seems to get latest version of Treo after CDMA users had theirs for a while.

Would the windows Treo be any different?
    ronbo2000 is right. We (GSMer's) are the stepchildren of the US market. Look east, and you'll see slew of GSM goodies in Europe - several different i_jam's that look like winners to these old eyes.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Historically, GSM users seems to get latest version of Treo after CDMA users had theirs for a while.

Would the windows Treo be any different?
    Actually, the opposite is true.

GSM treos were available way before there were CDMA treos.

look at the release of the 180, 270....
    actually the sprint visor phone was the first
    I had visor phone. If I remember right it was GSM.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I had visor phone. If I remember right it was GSM.
    ohhh...I thought sprint's was the first.
    ohhh...I thought sprint's was the first.
    Yeah, was it not Sprint that first partnered with Handspring to get that device out?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Yeah, was it not Sprint that first partnered with Handspring to get that device out?
    Nope, GSM on TMobile. However, I think more were sold as CDMA on Sprint when that version came out.

Either way, the Visor Phone was killled by the GSM Treo 180, then the 270, followed by the CDMA Sprint Treo 300.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I'm guessing it's gonna be a while until a GSM version of the WM5 Treo...main reason being that if you take the EVDO modem out of the WM Treo it starts to look an awful lot like a T650 (ignoring the under-the-hood changes to processor and RAM to accomodate WM).

Right now, there is no clear high speed GSM network roadmap and Cingular is far away from a full HSDPA rollout (not even started yet except for trials). Purely speculation, but I'm guessing that P1 will wait for a high speed network (in America at least) and for Verizon's exclusivity to die out before they launch a GSM counterpart. With any luck, Cingular will get their act together in time and Sprint and Cingular will both receive WM5 Treos next May.
    Actually, the processor does not change at all, they are simply tested to run one step faster and are clocked at such. Most 650's are capable of this via overclocking...
    My take on when/whether there will be a Treo 700 GSM:

Forget it.

I'm not privileged with any insider info, but I remember reading in some interview with Ed Colligan (or one of his employees) that Palm was working on UMTS devices.

If another Treo 700 comes out next year, my guess would be that it will have a UMTS radio. This seems to be off everyone's radar screens, but don't forget: Palm's good at keeping secrets and there's several HTC smartphones out/coming out that have UMTS radios.
    Last edited by abookas; 10/12/2005 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typo
    right now there is a treo on windows (700w) to be released with verizon the exclusive carrier for at least a few months. This is due in early 06.

there are unsubstantiated rumors regaring a palm, palm/linux, linus treo to be released any time from this month to late 06. These are nothing more than rumors at this point as is any carrier-specific info beyond the verizon info.

that is all.
    Silly Season.

One of the problems with Silly Season is that the number of threads proliferates.
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/12/2005 at 01:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by abookas
    ...This seems to be off everyone's radar screens, but don't forget: Palm's good at keeping secrets and there's several HTC smartphones out/coming out that have UMTS radios.
    Correction: Palm is good at DENYING the secrets they leak out the back door.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by abookas
    ........ but don't forget: Palm's good at keeping secrets and there's several HTC smartphones out/coming out that have UMTS radios.
    That's a joke, right? Palm leaks like a sieve. The only question is whether it is by intent.
  20.    #20  
    It does seem like Verizon wrangled some sort of Sprint-esque exclusivity deal with Palm and MS, and that the CDMA + EVDO will reign for 8-10 months and then the GSM version.

Which makes me not-so-happy since I have Cingular.
    But now that I think about it..hmm. Ah yes, I'll do this:

* Wait for the Treo 700w release.
    * Then, and only then, take my SIM out of my Treo 650, and put it in my Motorola v540
    * Purchase new Treo 700w with unlimited EVDO data and be happy. Different number, but, oh well. I want my primary number voice line in a smaller package anyway.

Yup.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast