Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    The only reason why I am very extremely happy that they will come out with the 700w is......price of the 650 will definitely drop!!! Probably by half!!! thats what happened with the 600 when they launched the 650.....and its a good thing i did not upgrade to the 650 right away....i stuck it out with my 600 in the hopes of getting the 650 at a much cheaper price!

    thank you 700w!
  2. #2  
    Good point. Here's another thought: do you think Palm will retain the new charge/sync connector format from the 650 or come up with ones unique to the 700 thus rendering all those expensive 650 accessories useless as those from the 600 were when the 650 came out? My guess is the latter, such is Palm's level of disregard for customer loyalty. And we all know how much Micro$oft rewards its past customers. Gone are the days when computer and electronics manufacturers dole out upgrade discounts to customers of previous models, thus rendering older versions to the trash bin of outdated technology. I just chucked my old Palm VII and an old Sony Clie, having not seen a battery charge in years and not having any real value left. Be prepared to do the same with your 600 soon.
  3. #3  
    Looking at the Brighthand shots of the 700, it looks like it uses the exact same connector as the 650. In fact, it looks like the entire inner workings (SD slot, IR, buttons, etc) are all the same, just the case is designed differently.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  4. #4  
    RANT TIME:

    Here comes my semi-annual rant about connectors (no scolding from gfunkmagic or insertion).

    If you can build a cable that can sync and charge the Treo from a USB port (and almost ANY smartphone or PDA out there), there is NO REASON they couldn't use a standard USB D pin connector to the base of the Treos and all other PDAs, instead of these stupid "multi-pin, we want to snap off or get pinched," connectors that change with every new generation of handhelds.

    Thanks for letting me get that off my chest (again). I've written to Palm, HP and others and never even get a reply about this situation. For the longest time I was told it couldn't be done because of the number of address lines or inability to charge - get off it, if it can sync and it can charge, it can be done.

    RANT OFF
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  5. #5  
    My understanding is (and I could be wrong) that the use of different connectors is usually driven by changes in the power supply and battery. If the phone needs more power than is supplied by the previous generation's connector (or the standard usb connector), then you need to change the plug design. Otherwise, people will swap cords and fry something.
  6. Fittske's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by chuaaa
    The only reason why I am very extremely happy that they will come out with the 700w is......price of the 650 will definitely drop!!! Probably by half!!! thats what happened with the 600 when they launched the 650.....and its a good thing i did not upgrade to the 650 right away....i stuck it out with my 600 in the hopes of getting the 650 at a much cheaper price!

    thank you 700w!
    The Price of the 650 will not drop at the release of the 700. If there is a drop it will be for Verizion. Remember....there will be no GSM,Sprint 700w for at least the 1st two qtrs of 2006.

    So unless palm comes out with a killer update to the 650(doubt this will happen) or they release a 700p, GSM/Sprint users are stuck with the 650 for the first half of 06' Also, anyone interested in a Treo on any other network other than Verizon will be buying a 650 as well.

    so there will be no need to drop price right after the 700w launch

    The 700w does not replace the 650 like the 650 replaced the 600. It only adds a "new" phone option to Palms phone line up.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    My understanding is (and I could be wrong) that the use of different connectors is usually driven by changes in the power supply and battery. If the phone needs more power than is supplied by the previous generation's connector (or the standard usb connector), then you need to change the plug design. Otherwise, people will swap cords and fry something.
    I honestly think that the ONLY reason that the changes are made on every new model of phone is to sell accessories, plain and simple. Notice that Nokia accessories fit all of their phones. When you change to a newer phone you don't need to get a new cigarette lighter adapter (12v is 12v).

    Bill Gates (I think it was him) made the remark during the press conference that shocked the heck out of me. That was that anyone upgrading to the new phone will be able to use the same accessories as the 650.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG
    I honestly think that the ONLY reason that the changes are made on every new model of phone is to sell accessories, plain and simple. Notice that Nokia accessories fit all of their phones. When you change to a newer phone you don't need to get a new cigarette lighter adapter (12v is 12v).

    Bill Gates (I think it was him) made the remark during the press conference that shocked the heck out of me. That was that anyone upgrading to the new phone will be able to use the same accessories as the 650.
    So then the Nokia phones run on the same power. How about 650 vs. 600? They switched to a removable battery. Do they use different voltage input?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    RANT TIME:
    If you can build a cable that can sync and charge the Treo from a USB port (and almost ANY smartphone or PDA out there), there is NO REASON they couldn't use a standard USB D pin connector to the base of the Treos and all other PDAs, instead of these stupid "multi-pin, we want to snap off or get pinched," connectors that change with every new generation of handhelds.
    RANT OFF
    Wrong, wrong, and wrong. A standard USB connector cannot do the following:

    * Reliably support 1A of charging power
    * Support direct audio out and call control (for wired car kits)
    * Support USB and serial with no adapter needed, for both syncing and for snap-on accessories
  10. #10  
    OT

    LOL, Rick, your posts reminds me of an old Microsoft joke. If Microsoft made cars then everytime you got your oil changed you'd have to buy a new engine for the oil to work with.


  11. #11  
    I'd be careful on the idea of waiting until the 700 comes out and then buy a 650.
    Two problems with that. I'll explain.

    I used a treo 600 for a year and it was *stable*.

    The Treo 650 is not a stable device. I am running the new Updater 1.04 and
    both before and after have had many, many crashes and synchronization
    problems -- and I'm presumably a Treo-aware user by now.

    This is not a blast against the Treo lineup as it is against the QA on the
    product. Look, I like Treo, but things took a nosedive after Handspring
    produced the 600 and then palm produces the 650. The change shows.

    While the screen and so forth are nice, you pay for it bigtime with
    stability -- or many people do.

    I have CrashPro running now permanently to watch for crashes of
    this box.

    I do not know anything with a really great reputation except the Blackberry/
    Blueberry and I do not know its failure rate. Its closed architecture does not
    appeal to me.
  12. #12  
    I wonder how long Verizon will have exclusive rights? I would pick one up if it were through Sprint.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
  13. #13  
    The exclusive rights on the WM Treo is supposed to be til Mid 2006. With that in mind Verizon will want the the WM Treo out as soon as possible to get as many sales as they can, period.
  14. #14  
    Blackberry 7100 uses a miniUSB connector on the phone with a standard USB B connector on the other side. Rugged and simple.

    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    RANT TIME:

    Here comes my semi-annual rant about connectors (no scolding from gfunkmagic or insertion).

    If you can build a cable that can sync and charge the Treo from a USB port (and almost ANY smartphone or PDA out there), there is NO REASON they couldn't use a standard USB D pin connector to the base of the Treos and all other PDAs, instead of these stupid "multi-pin, we want to snap off or get pinched," connectors that change with every new generation of handhelds.

    Thanks for letting me get that off my chest (again). I've written to Palm, HP and others and never even get a reply about this situation. For the longest time I was told it couldn't be done because of the number of address lines or inability to charge - get off it, if it can sync and it can charge, it can be done.

    RANT OFF
  15. #15  
    It sounding more and more like a 700p will also be out soon per the other threads and places like engadget. The somewhat difficult decision will be to go with a 700w or stay with the palm OS.
  16. aetherion's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #16  
    The WM Treo uses the same connector as the 650...so all of your charging and USB accessories should be safe for those who upgrade...at least for this time aroud
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartphone Fan
    Blackberry 7100 uses a miniUSB connector on the phone with a standard USB B connector on the other side. Rugged and simple.

    Same with the newer htc devices.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  18. #18  
    i am happy that 700w is coming out because hopefully palm os can get something better out that will compete with windows mobile 5.0. i really thought we would have the new palm os on the 650.
    Naveen

    Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

    Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
  19. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #19  
    With 64MB of RAM Palm has done it to itself again. While form factor is good let's see... no built-in WiFi, only 64MB RAM (no ROM). If those are the specs and it's my choice, I still take the "older" Samsung SCH-i730.

    I am happy to watch Palm shoot itself in the foot again and watch the people responsible for trying to maximize their profit by pennies per phone and underpowering it watch it fail miserably.

    If the Palm "upgrade" has the same features then it too isn't worth shelling out another $600.
  20. #20  
    64MB RAM is for apps and OS running and the ROM which has not been listed (that I have seen) most likely will be 128MB. Why? Because that is the minimum ROM space being offered on any WM5 device to date. You need 64MB ROM for the OS and 64MB ROM for storage. Most of my apps are on the card anyways.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions