1.    #1  
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    palm seems to lack the strategic edge companies with staying power have.
    they have a great product, but palm's innovation and implementation have always been weaker than other competitors. Their share in the marketplace is diminishing.
    I think its just a matter of time before they will one day be acquired just as palmsource was this year.

they lack the executives with the necessary foresight and product management relative to market demand. without a good sense for what your corporate customers really want, you're only half-assing it.
    I'm a longtime fan of palm, but you can't help recognizing the deficiencies they've struggled with all along.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    The five reasons are simple:

1.) Greedy
    2.) Dumb
    3.) Greedy
    4.) Dumb
    5.) Dumber

It's evident if you watch their history...they had the world in the palm of their hand (pun intended), and pissed it away like a drunken sailor at a Bangkok whorehouse.
    What's wrong with greed? If I had a business, it'd be all about making money.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    I don't have a problem with it per se, but when it clouds your judgement and you choose the short term profits over long term profits, then you end up getting passed by (unless you are not interested in being around later??)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "they had the world in the palm of their hand (pun intended), and pissed it away like a drunken sailor at a Bangkok whorehouse."

- mikec

seriously, I couldn't agree with you more. palm DID have the world by the a$$, but they became content, sat back and watched it all just slide out of their grasp.
    it makes you sick to your stomach thinking about it where they could have been right now.
    very sad.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Yeah...anyone remember the Newton...point exactly.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Greed != making money.

You know the story about killing the goose that layed the golden egg?

That's the type of greed I am talking about - short-sighted greed.

I'm all for a little Gordon Gecko, it's just that if they had played thier cards right, thaey would've made a lot more money and lasted a lot longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    The five reasons are simple:

1.) Greedy
    2.) Dumb
    3.) Greedy
    4.) Dumb
    5.) Dumber

It's evident if you watch their history...they had the world in the palm of their hand (pun intended), and pissed it away like a drunken sailor at a Bangkok whorehouse.

That was a priceless remark. Thank you. I will be using that phrase.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    ...It's evident if you watch their history...they had the world in the palm of their hand (pun intended), and pissed it away like a drunken sailor...
    Also, they are slowwww in execution, and supporting Hawkins, who is only working at most half as hard, thanks to his other gig.
    the only thing that led to their downfall was that for the longest time they were in a doomed market (pda's) but they did not use their lead time in selling handhelds to compete with blackberry in the wireless email/corporate market soon enough... it would not have mattered how innovative and technically superior they made their pda devices if it didn't have adoption by the corporate environment

if you take into account that most people don't want to carry around multiple devices (unless there is a compelling reason such as the storage capability of dedicated mp3 players in the consumer segment or in the corporate world, push email), the adoption of cell phones and blackberry's led to the downfall of pda's - and this is seen in the continual decrease of overall shipments for pda's (not just palm but pocket pc's as well)
    Palm had wireless before the blackberry was dominant (Palm VII in 99).

I thought it was expensive at the time.

I personally ran my Palm III through a dongle to my cell, but after the novelty of reading email anywhere wore off I gave it up.

People want a keyboard when dealing with email. Palm finally learned that with the Treo, but blackberry was way out ahead and it is hard to win back that market.

BTW, I still don't read email on my treo, I don't need to be that connected, and it is still expensive.