Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Mine is still in very good condition and I didn't plan on dumping it any time soon. Although Cingular probably won't get the new model until next year sometime, but I still don't want to get rid of a perfectly decent phone. Also, are we going to be able to get service for the older model?

Man this sucks. Looks like all those rumors on this board posted in July were correct. Must be a lot of insiders on here. That's good, I just wish they had been wrong. Palm is not that bad of an OS to me. And now my XP is messing up AGAIN. I will never be convinced Windows anything is better.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Nah, just needs EV-DO.

I still believe.

Cheers, Perry.
    Yes, the minute the 700w is released, the 650 will cease functioning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Nah, just needs EV-DO.

I still believe.

Cheers, Perry.
    I BELIEVE IN THE 700p. I WILL WILL IT TO HAPPEN. I WILL HAVE IT THIS YEAR.

... ... ... ...
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Or, would that be the blue screen of death?

I still believe.
    I love my 650, but I liken to the original Mac. Here comes Palmdoze 1.0. What does history tell us? I bet 20 bucks it doesn't play out any differently and the Treo 900w is an unstopable force. Too bad. I loved my Mac.

Derek
    How can the last Palm OS Treo be obsolete if it's never replaced by another Palm OS unit (Oops, my apologies Perry). Seriously, I love my T650, but it was "obsolete" when I bought it based upon the state of the art in handheld and phone technology at that moment. EVDO was already out; 128mb ram was available in other units; WiFi was out on other handhelds, as was Bluetooth 1.2.

I've given up worrying about the state of the art when these things are released - it seems to take an extra year to develop, and an extra year to "network certify" so they are always way behind the state of the art.

All that said - unless you need EVDO or must have WiFi, I don't see where the T650 feature set is obsolete at this time.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    If it still does what you bought it to do, and what you need it to do, it isn't obsolete. Calling it obsolete would be like saying my bike is obsolete because Honda came out with a new model to replace it. I don't see most of us buying a new car every year because someone came out with a new model.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Wow! Where have you been, LT??
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    The one thing that could make it obsolete would be for the desktop and hotsync not working under Vista or Mac OS 10.5. If we can no longer use it because of incompatibility it becomes obsolete. Otherwise, if it does what it needs to, it is not obsolete.
    It was obsolete when you bought it.
    I think your device will continue to work just fine.

However, you now have to question the long-term viability of P-OS. You also have to question P-OS third party developer's desire to continue supporting the platform.

With Cobalt essentially dead in the water and some unkown Japanese company presumably pushing the Linux/Palm development ahead - it's really up in the air as to how things will end up. If you were a larger Palm developer such as Dataviz, how much money would you be sinking into developing new Palm apps right now? The future is somewhat uncertain and companies have got to be thinking twice about spending hundreds of thousands of dollars developing apps for the P-OS. I am sure there have been many recent meetings at different P-OS developers about this very topic.

Will this new Japanese company have the MoJo to push Linux/Palm out into the mainstream and get the developer community excited and working? Will they foster the same cultural environment that brought forth the excellent usability and stability of the original P-OS? Are the same people still even there?

Once the Windows Treo launches and it becomes a decent revenue stream for Palm, don't you think Microsoft will be putting all kinds of pressure on Palm to cut the other units over? Once the money starts flowing in, MS will have them right where they want them and they will be able to apply pressure.

Don't you also think it will be pretty tempting for Palm to only have to support a single platform? Can you imagine the support costs and training costs associated with supporting multiple OSs? In addition to this, all the interoperability issues you would have between your products?

Palm can talk all they want about launching future P-OS devices, but to be honest, I don't believe them because it just doesn't make any financial sense for them to continue to do so.

MS will continue to push to sell more and more Windows Mobile OSs and they will probably make it quite tempting for Palm to "make the switch".

I am happy with my 650, but I certainly won't be buying a new smart phone until all the dust settles OR a new Windows smart phone comes out that is compelling enough to make me part with my money. IMHO, the Treo 700W is NOT compelling enough to empty my wallet for, but there sure seems to be a lot of competitors on the horizon now.

Interesting times for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Or, would that be the blue screen of death?

I still believe.
    That would be the next version of Good.

Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    all the 650 needs is ev-do, as someone said above. when the monthly price for ev-do drops to reasonable levels, it will be time to jump on the next treo.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    The Treo 650 will be obsolete as soon as the next gen PalmOS Treo comes out early next year!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    obsolete? maybe that's a bit strong, but the future growth is the ppc treo.

Too bad about Cobalt...just shows how incompetent mgmt was there. Obviously, crappy b-school execs plus no market experience.
    Pathetic.
    here is a stupid question...
    what is a 3rd generation phone?
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    "Too bad about Cobalt...just shows how incompetent mgmt was there. Obviously, crappy b-school execs plus no market experience.
    Pathetic"

- mikec

have to agree with that.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    I believe.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast