Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I think a re-statement of the ole' first rule of technology buying might be well placed here...

"Always buy one step back from the newest thing. All the problems are either fixed or well known."

The T650 has been around long enough that there will be parts for it for a LONG time. Also, when the remaining stock is dumped on the market it will cause the price to plummet. Or, at least, go down a bit. So, yes I will keep the ole' six-fiddy, I will keep driving my 1992 Pathfinder (it has NEVER been improved), and I will keep my same old wife. Although, maybe I'll do what my dad always said he would do when my mom turned 50 and trade her in for two 25's
    "Happiness is a warm gun" - John Lennon
    Wow, I was getting worried when I saw this thread. I just bought the VZW Treo 650 on Saturday 10/29/05 and bought a cradle, nutshell case, extra battery, extra styli, etc. and I thought I just wasted all my money. I guess I didn't, glad to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buldawg
    Wow, I was getting worried when I saw this thread. I just bought the VZW Treo 650 on Saturday 10/29/05 and bought a cradle, nutshell case, extra battery, extra styli, etc. and I thought I just wasted all my money. I guess I didn't, glad to hear.
    I don't know there Buldawg - everything else being equal, you're definitely giving up EVDO access, which is WAY better than anything else out there now (EDGE, Vision, etc). If it were me, and I could still reutrn it, I'd dump it back to them and wait a couple of months.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    All I know if I am on Cingulars website and there is a treo 650 Refurb. for $139. So I am ditching my 600 with Tmobile because not only is my 600 pissing me off (I think I dropped it too many times, and I got it used) but my tmo signal sucks.

Get this; You can only get the 650 with new activation, 2 year contract. Im down with that... but then if you have to put a deposit (I have to do $150), you cant do it online. So if you want that phone and you have to pay a deposit, the ONLY WAY IN THE WORLD (according to 4 calls to cingular) is to have someone else get it for you online and then change financial responsibility.

I called tMobile today and the guy told me that if I wait to after Thanksgiving, they will have the Treo 700. So I looked it up and I almost cried.

I sell and support computer systems for a living, and if Windows didnt exist, neither would my job. I come home every day to my PowerBook, that always works. I use my PC for games and to make sure I have all the problems the rest of the world has, so i know how to fix them. I know more about either of these systems then anyone I know, and this is the simple truth. When I set someone up with a Mac I basically NEVER return to support the computer. But, with PCs, its an average of every 5 weeks I visit a client.

Take it how you will but look at whats happening with the Mac. They expect to continue the 45% growth. Projected sales of ipods at something like 37 million this year alone. People are waking up and realizing the reality of todays computer systems and this Windows trend is on a downward slide. People are ready for open source, easy to use, software that lets you do what you want with your data. Who cares if you can watch videos and music, share files, etc. if its only what MS says you can. I would be blown away if Palm dropped the Palm OS. And even more so if this Windows Treo is good enough to last a second generation.

I think this is a pretty obvious grasp by MS to actually have a Windows powered phone that people want. Similar to every other market strategy of theirs, basically take a good idea, and put windows on it.

Yeah I obviously dont like MS. I have it, use it, and work with it. I droped my last PowerBook and didnt have one for over a year. I actually had to USE my PC for actual WORK and I dont see how the rest of you do it.

Just my $2.22
    Last edited by Robamus; 11/04/2005 at 10:00 PM.
    The T-MO rep is smoking crack or else they never read the news. Verizon has the Treo 700 for the fist six months of its launch which is not supposed to occur until 2006 and since VzW is CDMA and the GSM won't hit until 2nd half 2006, well their smokin too much.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Buldawg
    Well now they decided to add Blackberry Connect to the 650 next year. I'm still a bit depressed. Unless we can upgrade the email client without having to buy a new 650.(if that really can be considered an upgrade).
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by djraw
    So am I correct in saying that the T650 isn't the end of the Palm OS/Treo devices? I love my 650! I love having that "My Phone Costs More and Is Better than Yours" feeling. The Palm OS has TONS of more apps than PPC and none will be compatible with the 700w. I won't buy it. If there isn't another Treo with the Palm OS, I will forever have my 650. I live by windows, but I'm content with it screwing up on my desktop, not on my mobile device. Damn, will Bill ever feel like he's making enough money? Must he stick his ****** in every eletronic device?

(Lady Treo, you are quite beautiful!)
    Thank you!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    See I really really liked my Treo 650, it was the first smartphone that I used that I felt like I could use it as a phone and as a PDA, I didn't have to baby it around like you have to do with some PDA/Phones. My issue was that the software to me felt real limited, well not all software, I loved programs like Chatter and Verichat, but Blazer, and most of the other browsers, web browsing was huge for me! I wanted to actually be able to go to a site and see it as it should be seen or go to my bank's website, I mean come on I could go to my bank's website on my SK2! I sold my Treo 650 and got an HP 6515, there are some things that I miss, great things like the one handed operation, and all the great software! I now got the great web browser but when it comes to finding games and other usable apps, good luck, the 6515 is way to new for all that. Maybe just maybe the 700w will meet all my needs. I honestly would have kept my Treo 650, if I could have had a better browser and thats the end of that!
  9.    #49  
    Well it's not completely obsolete but since it doesn't have wi-fi and several of the newer PPC devices do(even some Palms do!), I'm now considering using it as a back-up in case WM5 really gets glitchy or something. I still like Palm OS better though. .

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Well it's not completely obsolete but since it doesn't have wi-fi and several of the newer PPC devices do(even some Palms do!), I'm now considering using it as a back-up in case WM5 really gets glitchy or something. I still like Palm OS better though. .
    The most important thing that made me a Palm based Treo advocate was the keyboard integration. As many have said here before, it is the only phone/PDA that worked so well and so seamlessly that there is no real requirement to buy "additional" software to make it do what it is basically meant to do; be a good PDA and a good phone replacement. The key feature that made this so good was the keyboard integration.

I hope to get my hands on a Treo700 just to see whether the keyboard integration is as good as the Treo 6xx but doubt I will get a chance before some of the people here see it from verizon.

From a Windows Mobile user perspective; the 64Mb of RAM is really disappointing to say the least. The trend for most Operating Systems is to give it more memory because new applications tend to improve upon its predecessors and they usually like to chew up more memory. This is a repeatable lesson from history. I am appalled that Palm never learns from this.

If the screen is really 240x240, it will also be another "oh, this isn't really surprising coming from Palm" moment again.

But...all in all, the Windows Mobile OS isn't all that bad. As I said earlier, the decision make/break will be the keyboard integration; the number of keys tapped without a stylus being used i.e. ONE-HANDED operation, for retrieving a contact and making the call as well as SMS text composition and contact retrieval.

If anyone gets their hand on a 700w and have Treo 600/650 experience, please post back here regarding keyboard integration. Your input would be much appreciated.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123