Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mostly a lurker...but just gotta say...

Perry...that avatar is adorable!
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner
    The one thing that could make it obsolete would be for the desktop and hotsync not working under Vista or Mac OS 10.5. If we can no longer use it because of incompatibility it becomes obsolete. Otherwise, if it does what it needs to, it is not obsolete.
    The combination of the Windows Treo and the sale of the software division has effectively killed the Palm OS. I doubt too many companies are going to invest time programming for the waning population of Palm owners. MS won't care to help. Too bad too. I still like the Palm OS better than the Windoze one. I've been swapping back and forth between the two since Windows CE. I get sucked into the hype about a new Windows machine that can stream video and do all other sorts of nonsense, but always come back to Palm for it's functionality. Now the choices will be limited to which flavor of Windoze to buy. Sad.
    I will said this all the programs that I use in my work our palm base I don't see these in windows so I guess I will stay with palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_meezers
    Mostly a lurker...but just gotta say...

Perry...that avatar is adorable!
    Thanks, 2_Meezers. . . . . . she's 15 and in drivers ed now!

The picture represented my joy in 650 ownership. Hopefully, I will not have to go scouring the picture ablums for one of sorrow. Truly, it is the utility that the device provides that is most important and the OS is an important part of that. The Palm OS has provided that for 10 years. Now we want it to be a TV, radio, video player, PDA, phone and email/internet device. I was hoping that the two OS's would compete in that regard for our (the consumer) benefit. (Palm/Linux is still a hope, given Palm's recent partnership with a Linux specializing firm and their wantads for Linux experienced programers.)

I still believe.
    Last edited by gtwo; 10/02/2005 at 07:41 PM.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    How can the last Palm OS Treo be obsolete if it's never replaced by another Palm OS unit (Oops, my apologies Perry). Seriously, I love my T650, but it was "obsolete" when I bought it based upon the state of the art in handheld and phone technology at that moment. EVDO was already out; 128mb ram was available in other units; WiFi was out on other handhelds, as was Bluetooth 1.2.

I've given up worrying about the state of the art when these things are released - it seems to take an extra year to develop, and an extra year to "network certify" so they are always way behind the state of the art.

All that said - unless you need EVDO or must have WiFi, I don't see where the T650 feature set is obsolete at this time.
    I agree the technology is older by now. I was thinking more in terms of service and support. Are they just going to quit supporting the 650? No more software updates and stuff like that? If it needs service or parts, are they just going to tell me to buy the new one? That's what I'm worried about. They've done that with other phones. You can't buy the charger or batteries for some older phones, even some just 1 yr. old.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Wow! Where have you been, LT??

Getting some work done. I had to take off from posting so much. How've you been?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Thanks, 2_Meezers. . . . . . she's 15 and in drivers ed now!
    My sympathies - mine just "graduated" to driving from driver's ed two months ago. Your wallet will soon be slimmer as it fattens the coffers of the insurance company.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I agree the technology is older by now. I was thinking more in terms of service and support. Are they just going to quit supporting the 650? No more software updates and stuff like that? If it needs service or parts, are they just going to tell me to buy the new one? That's what I'm worried about. They've done that with other phones. You can't buy the charger or batteries for some older phones, even some just 1 yr. old.
    I'd say that it would be a couple of years before abandonment. Besides, third party parts (batteries, chargers, cradles, keyboards, etc.) seem to go on for a long time - look at the Treo 600 (even the Treo 300 on eBay). Besides, around here, who EVER keeps a PDA/Smartphone for the full one year warranty period anyway.
  9.    #29  
    I would because the phone works great and I like it! So far, that is.

A peice of technology is only "obsolete" when *YOU* can't use its functionality to do what *YOU* want it to. "Obsolete" is a relative term.

If your carrier no longer sends a signal that lets it make phone calls and you want to make phone calls, then it is obsolete.

When you want to use software that doesn't exist or work on your device, then it is obsolete.

When you need a feature that can't be made to work with the device, and another device has it, then it is obsolete.

Wide adoption of EVDO speeds, and a browser that really takes advantage of it, can make the T650 obsolete *IF* you really need those speeds. If you don't need those speeds, then it isn't obsolete.

As for me, I haven't had a device for longer than two or three years at the very most. I expect the T650 and PalmOS to be a viable system and device for at least that long.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Why is this thread here again?
    I had my last cell phone (a Nokia) for four years. I see no reason why I should not keep my Treo 650 for at least two years and perhaps more as long as it continues to give good service. I would need to see a migration path for my contacts to Windows Mobile and WM versions of SmartList, HealthFile, and eWallet. I'm sure those will be coming if not already here. But I will wait until I know for sure.
    Simply syncing to outlook will migrate your contacts and notes, and both eWallet and Healthfile come in a pocketpc version. Listpro ( http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/lp/listpro.htm ) seems similar to Smartlist.

Surur
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Hey Wernst - Cool phone! Where can I get one of those?
  15. sns
    Anyone here used long enough a PPC device?
    Windows on mobile is good enough. It has features that are quite usefull and are helpfull. These things are small, but would Palm OS have it - it will be a winner. Not much. Just a little bit of very helpfull things. Putting aside all the BT, WIFI, etc...

For example, You could write something like tel:123456666 and it will highlite as a link in every application, when You tap on thins link, small dialog appears proposing to dial it. Or notepad with drawing support. Or native pdf/doc/xls/etc. Simulated multitasking.

On Treo side is ergonomics, beauty and good enough phone app. ANd, of course, its wonderfull display plus one hand operation.

If either way these feautures meet - I will be there to take it, whatever OS it will be.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    So am I correct in saying that the T650 isn't the end of the Palm OS/Treo devices? I love my 650! I love having that "My Phone Costs More and Is Better than Yours" feeling. The Palm OS has TONS of more apps than PPC and none will be compatible with the 700w. I won't buy it. If there isn't another Treo with the Palm OS, I will forever have my 650. I live by windows, but I'm content with it screwing up on my desktop, not on my mobile device. Damn, will Bill ever feel like he's making enough money? Must he stick his ****** in every eletronic device?

(Lady Treo, you are quite beautiful!)
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    Quote Originally Posted by djraw
    I love my 650! I love having that "My Phone Costs More and Is Better than Yours" feeling.
    No, that would be the iMate JasJar.
    Starting price: $900
    Where: eBay, shady Korean characters in downtown Atlanta; BengalBoy
    Why: Not sure. It's a triband GSM device. And it's frickin' huge.
    Unlocked 750v: Voice / Data
    Blackberry 7130c: Private Line
    Motorola v60g T-Mo: Business Voice
    Also HTC TyTN factory; Palm LifeDrive & TX
    7 year Cingular/PacBell veteran.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Getting some work done. I had to take off from posting so much. How've you been?
    I'm fine LT, thank you. Stop by more often!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I'm fine LT, thank you. Stop by more often!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    DrDoom:

Still haven't found your Sprint Guide?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast