Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Being a wishful thinker, I just want to entertain the possibility of palm installing the wm5 rom to run on a 320x320 screen. Is this [technically] possible? If so, would it be [technically] possible for palm to issue a rom update if M$ decides to improve wm5 to support 320x320 some time in the future?
    Anything is possible. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.

WM at 320x320. It will break many WM apps though.

Surur
    I suppose it's not even feasible that Palm's using a 320x320 screen with 240x320 for the app area, and the remaining space for a very wide sidebar?

All the photos we've seen have apps that Palm may have customized AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I thought the press release said they would offer both 320 x 320, and 240 x 240 versions? At least that's what I read at mtdn
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur

Surur
    Are you talking about the square-aware factor? What happens when you try to run a non-square-aware app on a squared screen device?
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    I suppose it's not even feasible that Palm's using a 320x320 screen with 240x320 for the app area, and the remaining space for a very wide sidebar?

All the photos we've seen have apps that Palm may have customized AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    You comment led me to believe it is not possible scale 240x240 app area to fit a 320x320 screen. I always thought these touchscreens work like our desktop monitors, in the sense, when you change from higher to lower resolution or vice versa, everything would scale to fit the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    You comment led me to believe it is not possible scale 240x240 app area to fit a 320x320 screen. I always thought these touchscreens work like our desktop monitors, in the sense, when you change from higher to lower resolution or vice versa, everything would scale to fit the screen.

Having used a Handera way back when (so how can I say the 6700 is big, right?), I can tell you that it works for maybe 80-90% of all apps but definitely not for all apps. Of course, this is WM5 and not Palm OS 3.5, but I thought it worked in multiples of 240x240.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur

Surur

Surur, just wondering, where is the pic from?
    i know that 240x240, 320x240, 480x480, 640x480 work... when you get 320x320- you end up with apps that are designed for a 320 long screen and will probably just not take up the whole screen. it would be clever to have an emulator of sorts to tell apps how to use the 320 square screen- if that means putting 2 black bars on the sides or moving the app to the left and having a sidebar of sorts... but left alone- lots of apps would probably crash or have debilitating artifacts and display corruption... similar to what was experienced by us early adopters of full vga screens.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Having used a Handera way back when (so how can I say the 6700 is big, right?), I can tell you that it works for maybe 80-90% of all apps but definitely not for all apps. Of course, this is WM5 and not Palm OS 3.5, but I thought it worked in multiples of 240x240.
    So the least square multiple for any squared screen is 240x240.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    i know that 240x240, 320x240, 480x480, 640x480 work... when you get 320x320- you end up with apps that are designed for a 320 long screen and will probably just not take up the whole screen. it would be clever to have an emulator of sorts to tell apps how to use the 320 square screen- if that means putting 2 black bars on the sides or moving the app to the left and having a sidebar of sorts... but left alone- lots of apps would probably crash or have debilitating artifacts and display corruption... similar to what was experienced by us early adopters of full vga screens.
    So the non-square-aware app will either crash or still run with parts of its app area truncated.
    That pic is a screen capture from the WM5 stand alone emulator. Its a 200MB download from MS. Using the command like you can specify the memory, screen resolution, colour depth etc. Its quite cool, and some-one has used it to make a mobile Win Ce environment on a thumb drive, that you can take from computer to computer while keeping your own (handheld) software and environment private. I understand the maximum supported resolution is 800x600.

Most textbased software works at any resolution, and will usually pop up scroll bars if the screen is too small. A lot of graphical software will not work as well though, e.g. WMP does not scale to fill the screen at all (although it might with the right skin) and games will probably crash and burn.

Surur
    The current "square" version of WM5 is designed to handle either 240x240 or 480x480 and what software is out there that has the square option will recognize that. The rectangle version can handle 240x320. Not that they couldnt change that at some point, but still the issue of software compatability with different format settings.

A 480x480 screen would be possible I think in the next generation of WM treos, so i would doubt that they make things even more complicated right now by changing the software to do 320 when there wont be any apps that can take advatage of it.