Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I would like to hear from current ppc users (or non-users) who have signed on to this forum because of the windows mobile treo. What are your reason(s) for consideration?
    My understanding (I may be wrong) is:

1.) that I can drag and drop files (word/excel) directly onto a PPC (versus using a conduit like Docs to Go) or video (without converting like Kinoma)

2.) stream media (especially over EVDO)

3.) hardware wise: I want a better camera and BT

4.) true multitasking

5.) and there are a lot of PPC apps out there already. If you believe the writing is on the wall concerning the POS, then now might be a good time to 'jump ship' so to speak. Don't get me wrong, I have loved my trusty 600 and my keyboard. It has done a lot for me, but as time goes on, I am looking to upgrade and the WM treo may be what I am looking for. I am also thinking about the 6700 as well.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quite simply: to play WMV files.
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    I would like to hear from current ppc users (or non-users) who have signed on to this forum because of the windows mobile treo. What are your reason(s) for consideration?
    How about current PPC users who were already here?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    As an owner of a HP2215 and a 650, I would say a couple of things would stand out:
    1. Better corporate integration (email).
    2. EVDO is huge for me as a TV watcher
    3. BT being usable would be nice - my 2215 BT blows the 650 away...of course I have not phone on it so that part is kinda important (hence the excitement).

Disadvantages (for all you non-PPC users)
    1. When you PPC starts to go south, hard reset and reinstall is PC like in starting over....much more taxing than Palm.
    2. General stability is about the same.
    3. Speed - I believe the Palm is a faster device in general.
    4. Overhype of multi-tasking - It is not that big an issue and the whole process of PPC closing programs as it needs space is unreliable at BEST....trust me you can't just keep on opening things and not worry like you can on a Palm you will bog down.

My 2 cents....I can give you change back if you need
    I wish I had a dime for every dime I have
    1- my T5 was a disaster and palm's support was the worst I've ever had in my entire life. My problems seemed to be entirely OS driven.

2- I want something that will be reliable and transfer all the information in Outlook without having to buy a ton of 3rd party software from dataviz, chapura, etc to replace a weak and substandard factory PIM.

3- I want something stable.

4- I don't see how Palm OS can compete with Microsoft over the long haul. I've had several palms back to the III and I always liked the palm OS till I made the jump from the 515 to the T5.

5- I want document synchability to be simple.

6- I want to be able to be on the phone and run apps at the same time.
    I think he means why we are considering a Palm Treo over any other PPC phone.

I would say mainly due to the form factor. My wife currently has an Imate Jam (no WM5 upgrade) and I would certainly consider getting her a WM5 Treo with the constantly exposed keyboard. She does not need WIFI, but could benefit from GPS navigation however, so the HP 6715 is a consideration. Its slightly larger however, and HP has a reputation for horribly unreliable PPC phones.

Surur
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    How about current PPC users who were already here?
    Well, they were already here. I want to know whether palm's latest campaign is attracting users who, until now, are reluctant to switch to the treo because of the os.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    I think he means why we are considering a Palm Treo over any other PPC phone.

Surur
    Yes. I want to see how this treo stacks up against other ppc phones. Thanks for the clarification.
    Current Treo 600 user, wishing it was Windows.

As a software developer I have always wished my 600 ran PocketPC. Anyone who has developed using Visual Studio knows it blows the doors off any other development IDE, period. I have used most of the alternatives and found them all lacking.

However I am looking for a phone first, PDA second. Only the Treo has figured this part out. I held off on the 650 hoping that a PocketPC phone would come out that was close to the Treo in form factor. i.e. candy-bar design with keyboard, that was comfortable in the hand and the pocket.

I am thrilled that a PocketPC Treo is now on the horizon. Form factor I want, OS I crave.

btw - I have had 2 other PalmOS devices, a Visor and a Treo 180.
    Middle name support in the contacts app.
    KFU, the restaurant that gives you the bird!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoodisi
    Anyone who has developed using Visual Studio knows it blows the doors off any other development IDE, period. I have used most of the alternatives and found them all lacking.
    This must be a taste thing. I HATED Visual Studio. Ever used Eclipse? Blows VS away. It's an open architecture, very easy to work with, mostly language-independent. Visual Studio is MS only, and not very user friendly, unless you were coding in VBVBVB. $And$ $VB$, $up$ $until$ .$NET$, $was$ $a$ $weak$ $language$ $at$ $best$. $Ever$ $used$ $Delphi$? $Or$ $C$++$Builder$? $Or$ $JBuilder$? $Borland$ $does$ $development$ $tools$ $better$ $than$ $any$ $other$ $company$. $Those$ $are$ $real$ $development$ $IDEs$.....

-TR1
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
    Quote Originally Posted by TriangleRocks
    This must be a taste thing. I HATED Visual Studio. Ever used Eclipse? Blows VS away. It's an open architecture, very easy to work with, mostly language-independent. Visual Studio is MS only, and not very user friendly, unless you were coding in VBVBVB. $And$ $VB$, $up$ $until$ .$NET$, $was$ $a$ $weak$ $language$ $at$ $best$. $Ever$ $used$ $Delphi$? $Or$ $C$++$Builder$? $Or$ $JBuilder$? $Borland$ $does$ $development$ $tools$ $better$ $than$ $any$ $other$ $company$. $Those$ $are$ $real$ $development$ $IDEs$.....

-TR1
    I've used eclipse to do Palm OS development; slow as molases, dosen't work "out of the box". I've used Borland's stuff as well; why couldn't they figure out how to compile a truely ActiveX (OLE2.0) compliant component. And why the emphasis on VBVBVB? $Nearly$ $all$ $of$ $the$ $VS$ $developers$ $I$ $know$ $of$ $program$ $in$ $C$#.

What about connecting to databases, how much effort do you need to spend to make sure Eclipse is configured correctly to connect to your database, and how much time do you spend struggling with Oracle/DB2/mySql drivers so they can communicate with your development environment? With Visual Studio it's almost automatic.

And why is the time to market using Microsoft IDEs almost 10 times faster than the time to market using non-Microsoft IDEs?

Yes, VS is Windows only; but then each IDE is specific to the platform it is installed on. The "exception" could be Java, but then why is Eclipse so slow?

Wait, this is a "I hate Microsoft" issue. To which I will stop right now. Because no matter how good the development environment is, if it's written by Microsoft IT SUCKS ! ! ! !
    Re: "Middle name support in the contacts app."

But what about those of us with two middle names?

- George Herbert Walker Bush
    Had a Treo 600 for almost 2 years, and was very happy with it, but broke it. Replaced it with a Audiovox PPC 4100 I got off ebay.

I loved the form function of the Treo, but prefer the window's interface. I really like how it seamlessly sync's with outlook. On my Treo, I would have appts in Outlook that would sometimes just pop up randomly on different dates.

The file transfering is so much better. Drop it in the cradle, it automatically activesyncs, and I can drag and drop files.

Syncing with an exhange server is a breeze.

Media, enough said.

I think the window's interface will fully take advantage of what the Treo has to offer.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt
    1- my T5 was a disaster and palm's support was the worst I've ever had in my entire life. My problems seemed to be entirely OS driven.

2- I want something that will be reliable and transfer all the information in Outlook without having to buy a ton of 3rd party software from dataviz, chapura, etc to replace a weak and substandard factory PIM.

3- I want something stable.

4- I don't see how Palm OS can compete with Microsoft over the long haul. I've had several palms back to the III and I always liked the palm OS till I made the jump from the 515 to the T5.

5- I want document synchability to be simple.

6- I want to be able to be on the phone and run apps at the same time.
    Some of your reasons above puzzle me...

1- When you have TreoCentral, why do you need any other support?

2- My Treo 650 seems to sync all of the data over intact from Outlook, without any additional apps. What problems were you having here?

3- My Treo 650 is stable. If yours is not you either must have an app that is causing problems, a corrupt file, or faulty hardware. Try doing a hard reset and reinstalling your apps one at a time and testing things out for a while between each install, to find out the culprit.

4- Palm has been competing fine, and their profits are steadily growing. Seems to me they'll be around for quite a long time. Palm OS seems to work better for a phone or handheld device. Windows works better on a computer. I like how I can use my Treo one handed. Windows OS stuff doesn't seem to do that too well.

5- My documents synch very simply on my Treo 650. What's not simple about it?

6- Phone app runs at the same time as any other app on my Treo 650. Maybe you have an older Treo or something that doesn't allow this?

Cheers,
    Jacob H.
    I loved my Treo 600 which was extremely stable. I switched to a PPC (XV6600) because the inherent Palm OS timezone problem. My PPC has experienced lots of resets in comparison so I don't see it as more stable than Palms. However, I've now invested in lots of PPC software so I don't mind sticking with the platform. Having the Treo form factor is the best of both worlds.

Also, I do appreciate not having to translate MS Word/Excel documents with DocumentsToGo or Quickoffice.
    Why?

Verizon contract is up and and my e2 broken but repairable, so before I plunk down 2 bills+ and a 2 year contract, I want to know what my options are.

I am a Mac user but I depend on my palm to keep my life sane.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    My understanding (I may be wrong) is:

1.) that I can drag and drop files (word/excel) directly onto a PPC (versus using a conduit like Docs to Go) or video (without converting like Kinoma)
    This is a big falicy. PocketPC has a completely different operating system than desktops...including the apps (PocketExcel, PocketWord...etc.) The files they create are different and Windows converts them when you drag them to the PocketPC. In fact, when I used to use a PocketPC and a Palm at the same time (about a year ago) I had better luck converting docs in Docs to Go than in MS's own converter.

Having said that, I might very well consider getting a Win5 mobile Treo because mobile windows keeps getting better.

My biggest gripe with the move to Windows is the loss of resolution. Why, oh why couldn't they keep the 320 screen?!?!
    Just because it is a new Treo.
    I also happen suffer from a serious disease called upgraditis
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast