Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Just because it is a new Treo.
    I also happen suffer from a serious disease called upgraditis
    I think you can take a pill for that.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    My understanding (I may be wrong) is:

1.) that I can drag and drop files (word/excel) directly onto a PPC (versus using a conduit like Docs to Go) or video (without converting like Kinoma)
    In terms of this? Pocketword and Pocketexcel at least as of my last use of it last year strips the code out of any document, so if you have special formatting that isn't supported by pocketword then you are SOL, anyways Documents to go, at least the new version does have native file support. Also for video? TCPMP (the core pocket media player)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    This is a big falicy. PocketPC has a completely different operating system than desktops...including the apps (PocketExcel, PocketWord...etc.) The files they create are different and Windows converts them when you drag them to the PocketPC. In fact, when I used to use a PocketPC and a Palm at the same time (about a year ago) I had better luck converting docs in Docs to Go than in MS's own converter.

My biggest gripe with the move to Windows is the loss of resolution. Why, oh why couldn't they keep the 320 screen?!?!

Ah yes the damn converter for pocketword, stripping all formatting out of it, god bless it.

On the subject of the screen, because WM doesn't support the 320X320 screen
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I'm interested because it's the only Treo with EVDO. That may change -- I think we will see the 700p later this year from Sprint.
    Sorry if this has been already answered, but it is not clear to me whether, under the recent versions of WM, it is possible to directly manage Office files, or not. By "directly", I mean without any passage through a desktop, as, for instance, when you receive, or send, an attachment to an email, or download/upload a file to a server. This is a very common task for me.

And what about pdf files? I know well that in Palm OS this requires a third party application (by the way, the famous one which is officially available only for Clies). What in WM05?

Besides that, I still remember how much it was possible to get out from a few MHz, a few MB computer at the old good times of MultiFinder Mac OS (version 6? yes, the "bomby" one), and I am scared by CPU and RAM eater OS (and I am astonished to see how many procs are running now on my XP laptop...).

So I would definitely prefer a light, but stable, OS for my PDA/Phone.

Thanks. Francesco
    You could always open doc files directly. However before when saving the files you lost most formatting. New to WM5 there is now very little road trip loss.

Pdf's can be opened directly with full formatting using Acrobat 2 for PPC.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobh
    Some of your reasons above puzzle me...

1- When you have TreoCentral, why do you need any other support?

2- My Treo 650 seems to sync all of the data over intact from Outlook, without any additional apps. What problems were you having here?

3- My Treo 650 is stable. If yours is not you either must have an app that is causing problems, a corrupt file, or faulty hardware. Try doing a hard reset and reinstalling your apps one at a time and testing things out for a while between each install, to find out the culprit.

4- Palm has been competing fine, and their profits are steadily growing. Seems to me they'll be around for quite a long time. Palm OS seems to work better for a phone or handheld device. Windows works better on a computer. I like how I can use my Treo one handed. Windows OS stuff doesn't seem to do that too well.

5- My documents synch very simply on my Treo 650. What's not simple about it?

6- Phone app runs at the same time as any other app on my Treo 650. Maybe you have an older Treo or something that doesn't allow this?

Cheers,
    Jacob H.
    I don't have a treo, I am basing my decision based on my ownership of the T5. I realize they are very different, so I only have what I have read here and my ownership of previous Palms to make a judgement on. There certainly seem to be a lot of complaints about it's stability here. In fact that is what kept me from purchasing a 650 when it was first launched for Verizon. I don't have the time to diagnose and perfect the unit, running one app at a time installing, etc. I need it run straight out of the box and be simple and dependable pim and hopefully push email. Blackberry's form factor and PIM never appealed to me.

Most of my problems with palm os PIM were the category limitations and the lack of categories in the standard contact files. I calculated that I lost about 60 hours to dealing with my T5 over the course of three months. I couldn't use the Palm PIM contact software, and thus tried db5, chapura and dataviz to be able to capture categories & schedules in all the categories. They didn't like a lot of my other programs. My documents never synched properly on my T5. Lots of things had to be translated from native files, etc.

Palm is competing fine, but I don't see how PalmOS can compete with microsoft over the long haul. Smartphones will become standard and most ppl don't have the time or inclination to spend time here or on tech support to figure it out. Windows will give them probably close to complete compatibility as possible, out of the box, and that is what will make the companies fly long term, not the power user or business fleet purchaser, imo.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    I would like to hear from current ppc users (or non-users) who have signed on to this forum because of the windows mobile treo. What are your reason(s) for consideration?
    I would like to know if you work for Mr. Bill Gates? It's kind of ironic that you JUST recently joined this forum and asking that peculiar question, so I'm very curious... IS THAT YOU BILL? C'mon man you're busted!
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBoss
    I would like to know if you work for Mr. Bill Gates? It's kind of ironic that you JUST recently joined this forum and asking that peculiar question, so I'm very curious... IS THAT YOU BILL? C'mon man you're busted!
    I got rich by being one of his janitors. Even though I don't work for the guy anymore, I still want the company to do well.
    Last edited by naivete; 09/30/2005 at 05:07 PM.
    To marry the best OS and bundled software suite with what may still be the best form factor (except for the antenna).

To give my iPAQ 2215 to my little brother and my BB 7100t to his son.

If it has built-in wi-fi and blackberry or blackberry-like mail functionality, I'll probably return to the Treo camp. If T-Mobile picks it up I will absolutely jump on it. If it has a low SAR rating, I'll stay with it.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    I am considering the Treo 700w. Luckily, in my case it isn't something I have to wory about in the short term, sinc my current contract with Cingular doesn't expire until December.

Former owner of a Treo 600, on Sprint, and know the advantage for email of having a "full" keyboard. On my current phone, a Moto V551, I very rarely send email from it.

I've swapped between PPC and Palm based OS's for several years, and am currently mildly in the PPC camp, mainly because I like the Microsoft Reader for books, and there was finally a VGA resolution handheld available.

I looked at MS Smartphones last year, but they, at least then, didn't support many of the features I wanted like the Reader, and being able to run Pocket Quicken. I don't know if these limitations have been lifted or no.
    I would like to hear from current ppc users (or non-users) who have signed on to this forum because of the windows mobile treo. What are your reason(s) for consideration?
    The WinMob Treo?

For a pure multimedia device
    I still own and use a Treo 650 as my every day device now.
    I love it; I just cannot have a cameraphone where I work. If I want to continue working there, that is.

However, when the Blackberry 8700 is released I will be purchasing that and my pocket and/or belt will look like this:

1) Primary Phone/Email Device: BB 8700 GSM
    2) Audio/Video/Secondary Web Browsing Device: Treo 700w

I love my Treo 650, but between the double no-no of a integrated camera on my primary phone and rampant stability issues, the Treo cannot follow me into these facilites every day.
    But it can be my iPod/Video Player/DVD movie wonder device/TreoCentral, HoFo, BBF, Digg and Slashdot browsing wonder

I love you Treo!
    Last edited by ItsAllVerbatim; 09/30/2005 at 10:31 PM.
    Treo form factor plus over the air sync with Exchange without middleware plus bias toward MS products.
    Quote Originally Posted by naturefreak85
    Ah yes the damn converter for pocketword, stripping all formatting out of it, god bless it.

On the subject of the screen, because WM doesn't support the 320X320 screen
    Compared to windows mobile smartphone os, the treo has the full windows mobile OS so there are some adavantages to phones like the MOtorola mpx 220:

Full text input with keyboard and stylus... The block recognized will recognize Grafitti 1.

Pocket Word and Pocket Excel. Excel will work as a very good quick and dirty database and custom calculator. You can not do this with the smartphone versions.

This will be the first windows mobile smartphone with full pocketpc functionality and a small easy to use as a phone form factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Just because it is a new Treo.
    I also happen suffer from a serious disease called upgraditis
    I believe this is the most significant reason for most of us gadget freaks.
    We need a new gadget...
    But we then have to somehow justify it by comparing spec for spec.
    I got rich by being one of his janitors. Even though I don't work for the guy anymore, I still want the company to do well.
    You got rich?

Does he pay his janitors extremely well, or did you find some interesting information in the garbage?
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone-Ike
    You got rich?

Does he pay his janitors extremely well, or did you find some interesting information in the garbage?
    He paid us so much employee stock options that we started driving ferraris to work. As for the garbage, my coworkers tried to share his wealth by giving away beta cd's they found in the garbage.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12