1.    #1  
    I just watched the press conference again, and Gates had that blank look of: "If I've got to sit here and listen to this one more time...." and Strigl just looked continually lost, like "Didn't these guys get the no causal Friday clothing memo?"

Other than Cooligan, not a lot of excitement (except when Gates admitting "lusting after things Palm did well" comment).

By the way, did you hear Strigl choking when Gates mentioned "telephony" hehe.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Gates did look rather disinterested. Maybe that's how he always is.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    The man is richer than God, he can do what he sees fit. He did look somewhat disinterested and bored. Then again he can be...

My momma told me that Bill Gates is the Devil!
    Naw, "W" is the devil, Bill Gates is more powerful.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBadWolf
    The man is richer than God, he can do what he sees fit. He did look somewhat disinterested and bored. Then again he can be...

My momma told me that Bill Gates is the Devil!
    My momma told me that alligators are so angry because they have all those teeth and no toothbrush!

He's rich enough that he can be bored while he's watching his company take over another rival.
    I'm back!
    This was probably his 8th Press Conference for the day. <YAWN> And besides, getting Palm as a new licensee is nice from a halo effect point of view, but its not as if MSFT is making any serious $$ from this deal.
    Gates must have done thousands of those press conferences in his life....so I don't blame him for being bored. I would too if I had done as many as he had.

What is notable is that he was totally intrigued with the Treo. He was playing with it throughout the press conference and couldn't put it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz
    This was probably his 8th Press Conference for the day. <YAWN> And besides, getting Palm as a new licensee is nice from a halo effect point of view, but its not as if MSFT is making any serious $$ from this deal.
    MSFT is getting a lot out of this deal, because it views the Treo 700w as the Blackberry killer. As Gates said, there are 130 million mobile e-mail users out erere, 15 million with corporate access and 5 million of those on RIM. That's the population he intends to penetrate with the 700w.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    What is notable is that he was totally intrigued with the Treo. He was playing with it throughout the press conference and couldn't put it down.
    Can you blame him? Mr. Gates is finally getting to see first-hand what we Treo owners have known all along. The Treo "feels" good.

While I'm no real fan of Windows Mobile, I am intrigued by the prospect of WinMob tweaked by Palm to create a Treo experience. Indeed, during the conference several references were made to the fact that certain features were added to WM5 to make it Treo-friendly.

I have to wonder how long it would have been before Microsoft caught on to some of those user interface innovations that the Treo has always had if Palm hadn't been involved in WM5's design (under the table) for the past year or two. We've all seen how stylus-centric past versions of WM and PPC have been. It's no stretch of the imagination to figure that Microsoft got a few pointers from Palm in the UI experience arena when it came to the Treo. After all, Palm (and more aptly, Handspring) had something of a head-start.

Palm's (PalmSource included) only problem was that they stopped advancing and lost touch with what people are demanding given the new technology available today. Those that move too slowly in this fast-paced technological world are bound to be left behind (or run over). Lose your edge (and thus your capital to make things happen) and you'll sink faster than the Titanic.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Gates must have done thousands of those press conferences in his life....so I don't blame him for being bored. I would too if I had done as many as he had.

You missed a few of the other threads around here. He may have been intrigued as well, but he was being BOMBED with SMS messages because his number was posted up there byteh Palm yoyo doing the demo. In fact, some where around here, a person posted a screen capture where they claim Gates responded.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget
    ...While I'm no real fan of Windows Mobile, I am intrigued by the prospect of WinMob tweaked by Palm to create a Treo experience. Indeed, during the conference several references were made to the fact that certain features were added to WM5 to make it Treo-friendly...
    Perhaps even more fundamental than we realize. Approximately two years ago, MS claims it and Palm started working out there deal, while the feature set was being benchmarked for WM5. About 1 year ago, Palm released the first NVFS devices, leading to the Treo 650 ( an essential strategy for advanced wireless handhelds with removable batteries).

Surprise, surprise, WM5 now debuts with "persistent memory." I know they're not technically identical, but an interesting "coincidence" given the development history we've learned since yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    You missed a few of the other threads around here. He may have been intrigued as well, but he was being BOMBED with SMS messages because his number was posted up there byteh Palm yoyo doing the demo. In fact, some where around here, a person posted a screen capture where they claim Gates responded.
    I'm sure Greg Shirai is getting his share of calls and text messages, too.

http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/686-1.htm (Look about 2/3rds the way down at the screen capture. I hope they're all fake.)
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    WM persistent memory precedes NVFS, and came from MS Smartphones (2002).

Surur