1.    #1  
    http://tinyurl.com/97jvc

I'll probably be going with one of these next year. End of the line with PalmOne for me. Not one red cent will be going their way any more from my pocket.
    I'm happy to see you AND it's a Treo in my pocket!
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Can you post the details here so we don;t have to register to see them?
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Well, I recklessly registered, but not a lot of red meat here:

FairFax Digital - The Age:

"Blackberry readies for Microsoft challenge
    September 28, 2005 - 10:00AM

Page Tools
    Email to a friend Printer format
    The maker of the popular Blackberry hand-held computer and commmunication device said Tuesday it had chosen Intel chips for its new models as it fends off a Microsoft-backed challenge.

Canada's Research in Motion said it would use Intel's communications technology in future BlackBerrys.

In addition, the companies will continue working together to develop new wireless technologies and handset features and expand BlackBerry applications and services.

The deal between RIM and the world's biggest chipmaker came a day after Microsoft teamed up with mobile computer maker Palm and telecom giant Verizon on a new "smart phone" aiming to grab market share from the Blackberry.

The next-generation BlackBerry device will start shipping later this year.

The popular gadget will offer more processing power for faster Web browsing and e-mailing. Its battery life will be longer too, the companies said.

The device will run on an advanced wireless-data technology known as EDGE, which stands for Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution.

Advertisement
    Advertisement At a news conference, RIM president and co-chief Executive Officer Mike Lazaridis said Intel's chip platform, code-named Hermon, will help his Canada-based mobile communications company expand into new markets.

"Intel offers us the best platform going forward," Lazaridis added. "We've listened to our customer base and think they'll be quite surprised."

The collaboration could help Intel's fledging efforts in the handset market. Intel, the world's biggest producer of computer chips, started developing chips for cell phones five years ago.

But its original cell-phone processor, known as the Manitoba, has struggled to land customers after design snafus. It is being used in a music phone being sold by mmO2, a European mobile telecom company.

Speaking about Intel's next-generation phone chip at the news conference, Sean Maloney, executive vice president and general manager of Intel's mobility unit, said the company is "very comfortable that our product is extremely competitive."

- AFP"

Standardizing on Intel processors'
    EDGE service (better browsing, but everyone else is moving to EVDO or UMTS)

And that last quote: "very comfortable that our product is extremely competitive." sounds like typical M$oft competitor whistling in the dark past the graveyard.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Here's some pics and updated info of it...

http://www.pinstack.com/blackberryfaq/
    Matt Milano
    President
    Praevius, Inc.
    the screen leaves a lot to be desired. when palm implements push email out of the box, I think blackberry dies.
    No necessarily. Blackberry still has a couple of things going for it, namely stability and security. Security is especially important in the market RIM really targets.... government and corporate.
    Matt Milano
    President
    Praevius, Inc.
    I think wballz33 is right. Gates has drawn a big 'ol target on RIM (think Farside - the deear with a bullseye on its chest - "Bummer of a birthmark, Hal") and once you can go one stop shopping from the enterprise network to the desktop, to yur mobile users, RIM starts to go the way of the pager.

Besides, I still don't understand the RIM absolute fascination with wide body units. I've tried typing on both the RIM "blueberry" and my Treo, and the Treo 650 is as good, if not better. Besides, wheres the memory (16mb?) and storage (no SD slot)? WOn't be a lot of new software for that.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    forget typing (I do think it's slightly easier with the larger BB keyboard), have you used one of those as a phone?!? It's awkward as hell and darn near impossible for people with smaller hands to hold the thing up longer than a minute or two. Sure, there are headsets, but many people don't want to carry them around.

I think Palm and MSFT can come up with better security, but its a big leap for blackberry to be able to match the screen resolution, sharpness, 5 way nav, and touchscreen that the treo offers.
    I agree that Blackberry will die. M$ will start integrating BES-like functionality into Exchange, then Blackberry will be no more. Also, the ease at which WM5 apps are created will cause all blackberries to fade.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeXTLoop
    No necessarily. Blackberry still has a couple of things going for it, namely stability and security. Security is especially important in the market RIM really targets.... government and corporate.
    True Story! I work for the federal Government and secure emails is a HUGE issue. They dont want someone being able to get their hands on classified emails.
    Yes, most IT people use the clumbering paperweight, cause the Sidekick II has to many Paris pics...
    Quote Originally Posted by NeXTLoop
    Bingo..that blackberry is solid as a rock.

The new 8700 will put it closer to the treo in function/specs as well...it'll still lack multimedia support/camera/etc but for corporate/government use that doesn't matter anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndon_h
    I agree that Blackberry will die. M$ will start integrating BES-like functionality into Exchange, then Blackberry will be no more. Also, the ease at which WM5 apps are created will cause all blackberries to fade.
    Yeah thats the thing....

If MSFT can integrate all the BES funcationality into Exchange at no added cost then it would be way cheaper then paying $2000 for BES. Of course then RIM would react by evolving into a hardware-centric (with coporate focused devices not jack of all trade PDA like devices) company by eliminating the need for BES to work with its devices instead of being centered on a combo hardware/software push solution like it is now.

Oh...another advantage for Blackberry hardware is the battery life. The lack of high res bright screen and all the do-da's means the BB can run almost a week without recharge (no phone use) or atleast a few days with moderate phone usage.

The blackberry keyboard is designed for two hand usage...so its faster then treo while the treo is designed for one hand typing which is slower but can be more convenient.

I learned that there is no perfect smartphone/pda phone...theres always going to be trade-offs. Its the same thing in this treo v. blackberry debate (high res screen v. battery life, versatility vs. stability, etc). Just depends on what your needs are and what concessions you're willing to make.
    The new blackberry has a color qvga screen and 312 MHz processor. I think their battery life advantage will disappear soon.

Surur
    Enterprise and government IT departments don't like change. The BES servers are already in place, the functionality is acceptable, the security is excellent, and the operational stability is good. And the Blackberry itself is a status symbol: just as the iPod says "cool", the Blackberry says "important".

Translation: It will be many years before Blackberrys are displaced.
    ITA w/tangible that BBs will be around for a long time.

I'm very interested in Blackberry Connect on WM5 or Palm. Whichever comes out first will get my $$$.
    Yup. Treo with Winblows will kill the Blackberry. I still stare when I see people holding that thing to their head.
    everyone thinks that BB has the lock on security - that WAS true in the past. But now, Good, Intellisync, even MS with their Messaging & Security Feature Pack, have all leveled the playing field, if not surpassed RIM. RIM's advantage is twofold:
    - first mover. They got there first. That's HUGE. Can't deny that.
    - Perception. Many folks think, incorrectly, that only RIM can deliver secure wireless email. Not so. All other middleware is now as secure as the vaunted BES and the NOC model.

MS will kill RIM eventually. It will take time but it will happen. Think about it - RIM is in not one but TWO spots targeted by MS: handheld underlying OS (although you could correctly say that a BB doesn't really have an OS per se, but you get the point), and also in the server middleware space. Those are two markets that MS wants to dominate, and the tech industry graveyard is littered with companies who've had the misfortune of being in the crosshairs of MS. So will go RIMM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    ITA w/tangible that BBs will be around for a long time.

I'm very interested in Blackberry Connect on WM5 or Palm. Whichever comes out first will get my $$$.

Wait there is a BB Connect Client for WM in the works too? I only thought there was a palmos and Symbian version? Hmmm....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Taiwanese device-maker High Tech Computer Corp. (HTC) and middleware vendor Research In Motion (RIM) are collaborating to expand distribution of RIM's BlackBerry Connect services, running on HTC's Windows Mobile based devices, to worldwide mobile carriers. BlackBerry Connect brings a suite of "high-value functionality" to HTC handheld mobile devices, including secure, push-based email and calendar synchronization, according to RIM.

Specifically, the new initiative deploys Blackberry Connect on HTC's current generation of keyboard-based devices, such as the "Harrier", in addition to other previously announced models.

BlackBerry Connect supports both BlackBerry Enterprise Server for corporate users and BlackBerry Internet Service for individuals and smaller businesses. For corporate customers, BlackBerry Enterprise Server software tightly integrates with Microsoft Exchange, and IBM Lotus Domino and works with existing enterprise systems to enable secure, push-based, wireless access to email and other corporate data, according to RIM.

For individuals and smaller businesses, BlackBerry Internet Service allows users to access up to ten corporate and/or personal email accounts (including Microsoft Exchange, IBM Lotus Domino and many popular ISP email accounts) from a single device.
    http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS2630193844.html

Of course it hasn't materialized yet...

Surur