I hate to say it.... but he's right. I believe everyone who thinks that the Palm OS will continue on is in for a disappointment. It's just how these things usually work, especially with PalmSource being bought out. In my experience, very rarely does a buyout work out well for the customers of the company being bought out. Already Access has said they're not sure about the future of Cobalt. As the above article pointed out, they may not have even bought PalmSource for the Palm OS, but rather for the Linux resources PalmSource had at its disposal.

Personally though, I have no interest in moving to Windows Mobile. There are things about it that I like, but anytime one product so dominates (as in Windows Mobile) the consumer loses. Innovation stagnates and malware becomes easier to create given the market saturation. Interoperability between platforms is definitely a good thing. But ONE, ALL DOMINATING platform is certainly not.

Given the fact that I'm not willing to invest anymore in software for an OS I consider to be dying, I'm probably going to switch to the Blackberry. I was already getting tired of the problems I was having with the Treo (on my third 650), so this just makes the decision easier. Especially with the new 8700 series on the horizon, Blackberry is looking better and better.
    Matt Milano
    President
    Praevius, Inc.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I bought the Treo 650 for two main reasons:

1. I wanted a mobile phone that would receive my e-mail, update my calendar, ...etc while out of the office.

2. I wanted a phone with a thumbpad.

I have been totally frustrated in trying to get my phone to sync with my exchange server. I have a relatively small comany without an IT department. I spent hours upon hours trying to get this to work, never could. Have settled on a third part app, but it is pretty much a beta and while it works, I would catagorize it as somewhat crude.

I have found the Palm OS to be extremely unstable, prone to craches and the dreaded reset loop. I don't know if its something I am doing or third party apps causing the problems. but in either case the device has been wholly unsatisfying.

I don't know if I will try the windows version in the future or not. I do like the hardware, so maybe old Bill will get it right and it will better do what I am looking for and be more stable, which wouldn't be hard. Not sure I am willing to drop another $400 on another Treo, feel too burned on this one.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Very powerful stuff in that article. The first passage sums it all up. I have made it my new sig.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    Very powerful stuff in that article. The first passage sums it all up. I have made it my new sig.

"When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine

I have to disagree with this statement (the one in your signature), even though I agree with the article as a whole. The article as a whole states that the Palm OS is pretty much doomed. This particular statement makes it seem like Palm is still in the operating system business. I agree that making a Treo with Windows Mobile on it doesn't bode well for the Palm OS, but (in the spirit of this analogy) Palm doesn't make softdrinks, they make really cool bottles. They can fill their bottles up with whatever the hell they want. Coke doesn't fill its bottles with Pepsi, because Coke and Pepsi are direct competitors, in the same business. Palm and Microsoft are not. Palm is a hardware company and Microsoft makes software.

I hear a lot of people complaining about Palm and how this is hurting the Palm OS, but you should direct those feelings towards Palm Source or whatever their called now. Their the ones who haven't been able to put out a new OS in a while or make promised products like Black Berry Connect appear.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}

Remember "New Coke." Coca-Cola uses lemons while Pepsi uses cheaper oranges. Guess what New Coke used?

I am one of those that uses a Treo because it uses the Palm OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray

Remember "New Coke." Coca-Cola uses lemons while Pepsi uses cheaper oranges. Guess what New Coke used?

I am one of those that uses a Treo because it uses the Palm OS.
    I'm in that catagory as well. I'll go back to paper and pen before I go to a windows mobile media device.

Virus's are bad enough on my computer, but when their attached to potentially expense devices, no thanks! (Imagine the virus that simply chews up your minutes without you knowing about it!)
    Hope you dont have a symbian phone then.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...an+virus&meta=

Surur
    I hope the Palm OS survives, but if it doesn't, Windows Mobile is the next best alternative for me. It is all about the quality of apps and integration with 3rd party software. Symbian may be cool, and better, but it's not an option for me because of the lack of integration.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    well I can remember when palm would, as a rule, underwhelm its consumers EVERY time it released a new product. the treos were always nice upgrades, but they ALWAYS left something out.

coupled with the enthusiasm of upgrading to a new treo was always the frustration of knowing something was also lacking. that's just been the nature of being a palm fan.
    whether it was the treo 300, 600, or 650, SOMETHING was always left out. whether it was poor screen resolution or bluetooth on the t600, the lack of wifi on ALL treos, the slow processor (144 mhz ) compared to competitor's models, ( 416mhz or 624mhz) the low res camera, poor speakerphone with nearly every release, etc.
    the only type of cellphone I've ever owned since the t300 has been a treo. I've never looked back - despite the shortcomings - I LOVE the treo concept. nothing else quite comes close to it for me.

but the writing had been on the wall for palm for years now, and they've simply never quite gotten the full picture of what the market consumers wanted in an all-in-one device. they seem to go for 90%, never 100% of what the demand has been, and I think their loss of marketplace dominance, as the forbes article highlighted, is attributable to exactly that. so here they are, and its hard to be surprised.

the landscape would have been entirely different - if, instead of being minimalists, they had taken more risks in implementing the VERY latest specs in their models, their market dominance would never have dissipated and might have solidified their reign as the leader of the handheld / communicator market.
    but they chose to be minimalists repeatedly, and as a result of this they lost their share of the market to microsoft and hewlett packard.

I think we all saw this coming.
    windows will bring a fresh new focus into palm's future. I've always been partial to palm os, but I really think palm needs windows at this point.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    ....... coupled with the enthusiasm of upgrading to a new treo was always the frustration of knowing something was also lacking. that's just been the nature of being a palm fan.
    Not simply something left out but some apps broken and others orphaned, not to mention licenses terminated. [And this from Palm to Palm. Palm to WM is too terrible to contemplate.]