1.    #1  
    Besides the fact that 700w will be CDMA and the hw6700 will be GSM. Lets assume that down the road there will be GSM 700w and CDMA hw6700 or that carrier is not an issue...

Why should anyone pick the 700w over the hw6700 series.

The hw6700 will run WM5 but will have 192mb memory, qwerty keyboard similar to the treo, built-in 802.11g (yes g not b) wifi, EDGE (assume they will include EVDO on a CDMA version), Bluetooth, 1.3 megapixel camera, and built in GPS.

Compared to the Treo which will have 64 mb memory, no built-in wifi, no built-in GPS, 1.0 megapixel camera, etc.
    Well, the Treo will have a more phone-friendly shape. The 6700 is thinner, but wider--more of a Blackberry form-factor. Plus, with HP's track record, who knows what will be wrong with the 6700.
    and the 6700 has that awful 240x240. otherwise i would buy it (I bought and returned the 6500 becuase i felt like i needed glasses after having a 650 for 6 months!)
    Great question to ask - this is exactly the decision I will be making in a few months, both for myself as well as for my company.

I don't have any hands-on experience with the HW6500, but since it seems very similar to the HW6700, I'm assuming they'll have most bugs worked out by the time the 6700 comes out. On the other hand, the change from WM2003 to WM5 might add to the number of bugs.

I agree with joflow - what it comes down to is the form factor - are you replacing your existing IPAQ/Blackberry, and don't mind the size, or are you replacing your phone and want a phone form factor?

Surely the specs will also matter, but I'm not sure I'm willing to accept the iPAQ form factor for more RAM and GPS. I'm currently also using a Windows Smartphone mobile (SPV C500/Audiovox 5600), and 32MB of RAM are more than enough. So I'm hoping 64MB will suffice for WM5.

As for the screen, ekerbuddy, most rumors confirm that the Treo 700 will also have a resolution of 240x240 only. I find this very disappointing, but it's one less factor to worry about in this face-off.

Would love to hear other opinions on this...
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy
    and the 6700 has that awful 240x240. otherwise i would buy it (I bought and returned the 6500 becuase i felt like i needed glasses after having a 650 for 6 months!)
    From the specs I've seen, the PPC-6700's screen is 320 x 240.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    "xxx" X 240 is a design factor of Windows Mobile OS, It can not get any better than that.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jesterjo
    From the specs I've seen, the PPC-6700's screen is 320 x 240.

Thats for the ppc-6700 that sprint just started selling, not the HP one.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Interesting one this .....

I have just traded my 650 for the 6515.

I loved the 650 - the form factor is MUCH nicer than the 6515 but Bill Gates rules the world - especially if you want more options on Wireless PIM data so had to choose a Windows Mobile platform.

Have to say though if the 700w was available here in the UK now versus the 6715 I would def go with the Treo - much nicer piece of kit and much nicer to hold, better keyboard just a superior product.

Only thing the HP has over the Treo is inbuilt GPS but I gather there is a query on that with the 6715 and also the 6715 does away with the SD card slot on the 6515 which means those of us with 2GB SD cards would have wasted our money !

Anyway I figured it will be at least 6 mths before a UK version of the 700w hits the shelves by which time I can see .......
  9. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    "xxx" X 240 is a design factor of Windows Mobile OS, It can not get any better than that.
    Not entirely true. WM can support many different resolutions. It is the apps that are not designed for the resolution. The bulk of the apps are designed for 240x320.

I have a VGA resolution PPC (480x640).
    Last edited by cec; 09/27/2005 at 02:19 PM.
    Stephen, interesting to hear from a HW6515 user that the keyboard's not all that.
    Would love to give the Treo 700 a try, but it'll be a while until it becomes available for GSM.

The only other real alternative seems to be the HTC Wizard (aka PPC 6700, aka XDA mini S, etc.). Relatively small form factor, higher resolution (320x240, I believe), more horsepower (processor speed, RAM, etc.), WiFi, ... - I might even be willing to accept the slide-out keyboard, despite being a fan of solid "candybar" type phones/pda's.

Guess I'll wait and see how long the HW6700 will be before it comes out, and how it compares to the Wizard, when that comes out later this year...
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joflow
    hw6700 will run WM5 but will have 192mb memory...
    I think the HP and the Treo will have the same amount of memory. The HP's 192 MB is more than likely 64MB RAM and 128MB ROM. The Treo will likely have the same configuration. Personally, I think the enhancements Palm has made to the Windows Mobile 5 OS will be the real differentiator. I'm a Treo 600 user and I remember what a leap going from the 270 to the 600 was.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    WM5 can handle both 240x240 and 480x480 in square screens. And it can handle a variety of resolutions on rectangular screens.
    I'm back!
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joflow
    Besides the fact that 700w will be CDMA and the hw6700 will be GSM. Lets assume that down the road there will be GSM 700w and CDMA hw6700 or that carrier is not an issue...

Why should anyone pick the 700w over the hw6700 series.

The hw6700 will run WM5 but will have 192mb memory, qwerty keyboard similar to the treo, built-in 802.11g (yes g not b) wifi, EDGE (assume they will include EVDO on a CDMA version), Bluetooth, 1.3 megapixel camera, and built in GPS.

Compared to the Treo which will have 64 mb memory, no built-in wifi, no built-in GPS, 1.0 megapixel camera, etc.
    What I really like about my treo 650 is the ease of getting things done with one hand and without a stylus. If you can say the same about the 6700, then my comments are probably meaningless.
    I forgot about the hp phone. but it does seem better than the 700, any relase date?
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000537052114/

Look atthis phone, intresting.

Rumor is the it will be released by tmo.
  16. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Yes I am pretty sure that would be the GSM version of the PPC6700 (aka Apache etc) made by HTC.
  17. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    IMHO the best WM convergence devices out there right now, for use with US carriers anyhow, are the Samsung i730 and the PPC-6700. Both are Treo sized and packed with great features (EVDO, WiFi, slide down keypads, fast processors etc.).
    I like the fact the 6700 has WIFI but I like the Treo's fourm fact. And don't forget the MOTO Q coming.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    the moto q lacks a touch screen. the hp keys are not great from what i have heard. also, the wizard is supoosed to be kick ***!!!
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.