1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I can't help but to draw parrallels from the first we discovered the 700W and the crashing of Palm's SP.

Here is a little bit of what I saw:
    Stock Price Source: Stock Technical Analysis

Tues Sept. 20th
    Sept-20-2005 Open=36.34 High=37.18 Low=35.89 Close=36 Vol=2069800

Wed. Sept 21st
    This is the day that I would assume the first bit of info would start leaking out about the 700W.
    Sept-21-2005 Open=36 High=36.03 Low=33.78 Close=34.31 Vol=3057200

Thrus. Sept 22nd
    Engadget article shows first pictures of 700W
    Stock is relativley stable
    Sept-22-2005 Open=34.5 High=35.8 Low=34.29 Close=34.97 Vol=6745400

Fri. Sept 23rd
    Stock fell during after hours trading on Thrus. therefore refelecting the lower opening price on Fri.
    Sept-23-2005 Open=29.3 High=29.75 Low=28.27 Close=28.69 Vol=11092000

Mon Sept. 26th
    Stock Opens a little higher, then crashes all day long.
    Sept-26-2005 Open=30.54 High=30.6 Low=28.57 Close=28.68 Vol=7320000
    So just to sum it up, Palm's SP before 700W - $36 and some change.
    Palm's SP after conference announcing 700W - $28 and some change.

Take what you will, but I say the 700W is crap in more ways than ONE!

Tell me what you kids think.

MOD ALERT: Could one of you fine folks fix the title of the thread to read "Did the W on the end of the 700, crap on Palm's stock?"
    Last edited by NRG; 09/26/2005 at 09:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Did the W on the end of the 700, crap on Palm's stock?"
    It's almost as though someone said, "Since when does a 'W' have anything to do with something technical??"
    I think it had to do with their bad earnings report and earnings forecasts rather than the Treo 700w announcement.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by string3599
    I think it had to do with their bad earnings report and earnings forecasts rather than the Treo 700w announcement.
    But if we dig a little deeper..................

Source: Motley Fool

-snip-

The quarter itself was pretty good, with sales up 25%, but net income and diluted earnings per share were both down more than 7%, primarily because of increased research and development spending.

-snip-
    Good catch, NRG. You would think microsoft could have helped them out a little more financially.
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Good catch, NRG. You would think microsoft could have helped them out a little more financially.
    Thanks. I am sure it will be temporary, and hopefully not a sign of things to come.
    Thanks. I am sure it will be temporary, and hopefully not a sign of things to come.

Maybe now is a good time to scoop up some of their stock.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Maybe now is a good time to scoop up some of their stock.
    I was thinking the same. I will use Apple as an example, Apple will be the same this year as it was last year. The charts are almost identical this year, as it was last year. Since grabbing a few at $36 around a month ago I am now sitting on a $54 stock. Riding the pre holiday wave. Let's not forget the holiday season is coming and gadgets are an everybody fav. so therefore I see Palm's SP going up in the coming months.
    That is very true. The stock would be really lucrative if the new Treo was coming out before Christmas. There would have been a lot of people snatching up the new Treo as a present to themselves. It will be interesting to see how the timing of the release will affect their Q4 income and then their Q1 income next year.
    It took off last year with the 650 rumors / announcement.

It took a beating after earnings last Thursday, but was up around 5% after hours on Friday with the announcement of the press conference.

I think investors were disappointed that MS/Verizon didn't exactly say "Thank god Palm is with us". It seems like they said Palm is one of many companies on our side. IMO Palm actually looked quite silly having the press conference with BG and the VZ CEO when they didn't seem all that interested.
    I don't know. Gates looked bored, and Stigl looked lost, but the big splash on the front of the MS homepage showed a lot of interest in Palm.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I think this is a sign of things to come. I have dumped my palm stock that I have had since 1998. There is nowhere for palm to go now. They can focus on pda's but there are so many other competing smartphones on the market and the treo loses its main draw.

The only shot I see them having in the market is if they can partner with RIM or develop a push email solution with MSFT that comes on the device.