Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59
  1.    #1  
    Steve Jobs will do a fantastic job in Macinification of palm based os & devices .
    Otherwise , Bill gates will monopolize handheld market with windows mobile devices.

    This is the only solution left for palm os to survive.
  2. #2  
    No need to kill Apple's momentum with that dead-in-the-water OS. And they were just bought by a Japanese company, Access, IIRC.
  3. #3  
    Apple is only now gaining momentum on the desktop with OS X which finally freed them from the legacy limitations of OS 6, 7, 8, & 9. They don't need to buy someone else's legacy OS.

    I'd love to see an Apple mobile device - but one with somewhat more modern underpinnings. Unfortunately Apple was burned so badly by the Newton (which could do things I still can't do on a Palm or WM device) I can't see them ever taking another run at it.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  4. #4  
    I agree with what you both said; unfortunately, it'll never happen...

    I had a Newton 100 and then a Newton 2000, which was a wonderful device. Its form factor was much too large, but you're right--it did things that were unheard of at the time, and had the best handwriting recognition (in the final Newton) that I've ever seen. Remember, it caused the birth of the Graffiti handwriting system, which was originally created for the Newton. I wrote some apps for the Newton back in those days, and the elegance of the device was wonderful to work with; I was sad when it was time to let it go in lieu of something smaller.

    What I am really hoping is that the Palm OS will be updated into a robust new operating system that keeps me from ever having to consider using WM. I agree with other posts, which pointed out that having a task bar on a tiny screen is just plain silly. Plus, the thought of having a cell phone that relies on a Windoze OS for reliability is just downright frightening...

    Some people will read this and immediately label me just another Windows-basher. I've spent years programming on both the PC and the Mac. I prefer the Mac, just as I prefer the car that I drive. It doesn't make me bad, or M$ evil; it just means that I think Windoze is a really lousy product, and that I have no faith in it. My car is an elegant, well-conceived machine; my Macs (all 27 of them) are also elegant, smooth-running, well-conceived machines...
  5. #5  
    I think your talking two different markets here. IPOD and Treo users are often very different. It's hip hop vs. my pop.
  6. #6  
    they thought about handhelds again just a few years ago but axed the project. Job's was quoted then as saying "handhelds and cell phone's are merging, and we're going to wait and see what happens".

    While I think there's no way Apple will develop a handheld, I do believe they might just try a iPhone. They already have a start, and after the CEO of MOTO's comment today "screw the nano" Job's might just say screw MOTO and go it alone.

    Apple is one company that would do it right. They have the team and about $8 billion in the bank.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
  7. #7  
    Since Bill Gates financially bailed Apple out a number of years when he purchased a chunk of Apple, I think Gates basically dictates to Jobs what niche markets Apple is permitted to have/participate in and Bill agrees to leave them alone in it and continue providing Apple versions of Office and other MS programs required by Apple users. I think the iPod is a perfect example of a lucrative niche market MS has given to Apple and turned a blind eye to. I hardly think Bill would give Jobs the okay to allow Apple to be an OS competitor in the cell phone market considering Microsoft's investment in it.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Since Bill Gates financially bailed Apple out a number of years when he purchased a chunk of Apple, I think Gates basically dictates to Jobs what niche markets Apple is permitted to have/participate in and Bill agrees to leave them alone in it and continue providing Apple versions of Office and other MS programs required by Apple users. I think the iPod is a perfect example of a lucrative niche market MS has given to Apple and turned a blind eye to. I hardly think Bill would give Jobs the okay to allow Apple to be an OS competitor in the cell phone market considering Microsoft's investment in it.
    first it wasn't a bail out, it was part of a pay off to drop the OS copycat suit (which hasn't stop them. MS is ripping off OS X Tiger features for Vista) and niche! MS's swore to have the killer online Music Store. Has anyone every even used it. MS couldn't catch Apple in Music players/store and they know.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
  9. #9  
    Apple is a hardware company first and foremost. I would be very suprised to see them take something like PalmOS on. Especially when they would end up re-writting the whole thing to bring it up to mac-standards.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    first it wasn't a bail out, it was part of a pay off to drop the OS copycat suit (which hasn't stop them. MS is ripping off OS X Tiger features for Vista) and niche! MS's swore to have the killer online Music Store. Has anyone every even used it. MS couldn't catch Apple in Music players/store and they know.
    Ipod turnd out to be a hemorrhoid for Gates.
    Believe it or not !!
    They clearly lacked vision that MP3 players can be that big a deal, and realized too late in the race .
    Microsoft can not deliver beautiful products like ipods.
    Gates has mass market ,but an apple product is a class from the box in which it is wrapped to deep inside.
    Last edited by Mtreosexual; 09/27/2005 at 03:27 PM.
  11. #11  
    The site of Steve Jobs at Apple's annual fan gathering announcing the Bill Gates-Apple bail out/investment, with Bill hovering in back of Steve on what must have looked like an IMAX screen to the booing Apple fans. The look on Steve Jobs face as he announced that this marked the end of competition between Apple and Microsoft and began an age of cooperation. The sound of Apple-heads yelling, "Sell out!", at Steve as he made the announcement.

    You sound like a revisionist history Communist stating that the US didn't win the Cold War and that the Soviet Union just decided to restructure on their own.

    The fact is that Bill pumped money into Apple so that it wouldn't go belly up because otherwise he would have had no one to point to as a competitor for the DOJ monopoly suit. Otherwise, Apple would've went bankrupt. So they accepted the niche market Bill has carved them out and stay out of Microsoft's way for the much larger corporate mainstream market.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  12. #12  
    One point I forgot. Apple LOST the OS copycat suit. The courts ruled that Apple could not sue for what it called the, "Look and feel", of their OS. Ya know, the OS Apple ripped off from Xerox! The money Bill invested was to keep Apple afloat for the DOJ case.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    The fact is that Bill pumped money into Apple so that it wouldn't go belly up because otherwise he would have had no one to point to as a competitor for the DOJ monopoly suit. Otherwise, Apple would've went bankrupt. So they accepted the niche market Bill has carved them out and stay out of Microsoft's way for the much larger corporate mainstream market.
    Sorry, that's not quite the way the story went.

    M$ invested in Apple at that time because they had so much revenue coming in from M$ Word, which at the time (and probably still today) was the top-selling software product for the Mac.

    So far as Bill "carving out a niche" with the iPod, that's the stupidest notion I've ever heard. If M$ were able to trump Apple's iPod, they would do so; they tried rolling out their own online music store, which has done nothing in comparison to Apple Music Store. The only reason that the iPod is still holding onto 82% of U.S. market share and 80% of worldwide market share is because it is the leading seller; let's not imagine for a moment that Bill was being magnanimous and "carved out a niche" for Apple. How ridiculous.

    This I know: if Apple were to come to market with their own smartphone, it would be an elegant, well thought-out, smooth-functioning device, just as 99% of their products have been. History bears this out with a long list of innovative products; there have been a couple of stinkers in the pile, but statistically these pale in comparison to all the home runs they've hit with hardware in the past 20 years.

    Having said that, I don't expect to see an Apple-branded smartphone anytime soon.
  14. #14  
    I think Apple will eventually come out with a smartphone. They will have a lot on their plate when they move the OS to x86 based machines in 2007, so I'd imagine that is more of a focus than smartphones. After the transition to this entirely new computer line, then I expect Apple will consider releasing a smartphone as the next big upgrade to the Ipod line to retain the Ipod consumer base.
  15. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    I agree with what you both said; unfortunately, it'll never happen...

    I had a Newton 100 and then a Newton 2000, which was a wonderful device. Its form factor was much too large, but you're right--it did things that were unheard of at the time, and had the best handwriting recognition (in the final Newton) that I've ever seen. Remember, it caused the birth of the Graffiti handwriting system, which was originally created for the Newton. I wrote some apps for the Newton back in those days, and the elegance of the device was wonderful to work with; I was sad when it was time to let it go in lieu of something smaller.

    What I am really hoping is that the Palm OS will be updated into a robust new operating system that keeps me from ever having to consider using WM. I agree with other posts, which pointed out that having a task bar on a tiny screen is just plain silly. Plus, the thought of having a cell phone that relies on a Windoze OS for reliability is just downright frightening...

    Some people will read this and immediately label me just another Windows-basher. I've spent years programming on both the PC and the Mac. I prefer the Mac, just as I prefer the car that I drive. It doesn't make me bad, or M$ evil; it just means that I think Windoze is a really lousy product, and that I have no faith in it. My car is an elegant, well-conceived machine; my Macs (all 27 of them) are also elegant, smooth-running, well-conceived machines...
    I made the switch to Mac about 3 weeks ago. I bought an iMac G5---very cool machine.
  16.    #16  
    [/QUOTE]You sound like a revisionist history Communist stating that the US didn't win the Cold War and that the Soviet Union just decided to restructure on their own.

    The fact is that Bill pumped money into Apple so that it wouldn't go belly up because otherwise he would have had no one to point to as a competitor for the DOJ monopoly suit. Otherwise, Apple would've went bankrupt. So they accepted the niche market Bill has carved them out and stay out of Microsoft's way for the much larger corporate mainstream marke
    t
    .[/QUOTE]


    And your conspiracy theory sounds similar to the guy , who claimed hurricane Katrina is the work of japanese secret service.
    That is the most ridiculous assumption you are making about ipods .
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    Sorry, that's not quite the way the story went.
    Don't be sorry because that is the way the story went. You do remember when Apple almost went belly up before they brought Jobs back don't you? If it weren't for Bill, Apple would've went bankrupt. Gates investment allowed Apple to restructure their business and debt so they could fund all those projects, starting with those chic multi-colored iMac machines, that eventually got them back into profitability and where they are today.

    I'm not taking away anything from Jobs. He made those restructurings and focus on their niche successful. But it was Gates money that bought him the time to do it.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  18. #18  
    According to the AP news wire on August 6, 1997 -- "Microsoft said it would invest $150 million in former rival Apple worth about 7 percent of the struggling computer maker. It also is paying Apple an undisclosed sum that could add up to hundreds of millions more to resolve bickering over patents. Microsoft agreed to keep releasing upgrades of its popular Office business software in Macintosh formats for the next five years."

    So, it seems that settling patent suits were a big reason for Microsoft's investment. At any rate, Apple has a committment to it's shareholders to get the best return and, absent a noncompete agreement, will certainly take on Microsoft if it needs to in order to make a buck and satisfy its client base. For example, Apple saw that explorer had faults and came up with Safari, thereby denting Microsoft's armor.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by JTREOB
    I think your talking two different markets here. IPOD and Treo users are often very different. It's hip hop vs. my pop.
    See it's funny you say that because I own both and use both just as much as a person with only a Treo or only an iPod. Just saying. 'hip hop' or not, you can't deny how great iPods are, even if it is another thing to carry around (like I do).
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Don't be sorry because that is the way the story went. You do remember when Apple almost went belly up before they brought Jobs back don't you?
    Financial struggles aren't necessarily the same as "almost going belly up." Apple has historically had fairly large cash reserves - this is one of the reasons for persistant take-over rumors throughout the late 90's - as I recall, Apple has never really had issues with debt.
    If it weren't for Bill, Apple would've went bankrupt. Gates investment allowed Apple to restructure their business and debt so they could fund all those projects, starting with those chic multi-colored iMac machines, that eventually got them back into profitability and where they are today.
    Apple had revenues of $8 billion in FY 1997. The idea that a $150 million investment would even make a dent, much less somehow save Apple is silly.
    The fact is that Bill pumped money into Apple so that it wouldn't go belly up because otherwise he would have had no one to point to as a competitor for the DOJ monopoly suit.
    By 1997, no one but the most ardent Apple fan boy (at the time, me!) thought of Apple as a serious competitor to Microsoft. That was obvious by simply looking at market share numbers. The DOJ suit also had almost nothing to do with Apple and almost everything to do with IE and Netscape.
    Otherwise, Apple would've went bankrupt. So they accepted the niche market Bill has carved them out and stay out of Microsoft's way for the much larger corporate mainstream market.
    That Bill Gates might carve out a niche and give it to a competitor borders on the nutty.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions