Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    this is an insane move, this is the move that will drive me to windows permanently.

    I cant belive handspring are going down this route but with the lack of hardware development on the 650 what can I say.

    it's kind of co-incidental but I've been playing with an old NEC Mobile Pro 780 CE organiser I picked up off ebay for $100 a month ago and realised how much more functionality I get from a querty board.

    with todays announcement it's downhill from him here and there's no reason for me to stick around for another handspring (considering my current model is the 4th palm I've owned).

    I'm placing my order this week for a HTC Universal, yes its big but it has what i need today to push the limits, (I was considering a OQO pre-release in conjunction with a SIP compliant off my Asterisk PABX but it turned out to be under featured once it arrived).

    Wishing you the best, look forward to seeing Handspring develop and join the rest of the world eventually but ti twill be without me for at least a few years.

    Cheers,
    Dean
  2. #2  
    You do know that it hasn't been "Handspring" for a long time, right?
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  3. j$hort's Avatar
    Posts
    203 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #3  
    ...and this is adding a new OS option (Windows Mobile) to the next Treo...not replacing the Palm OS...
  4. #4  
    So is Palm OS dead? My gut is that Palm just created a self-fulfilling prophecy. This move has instilled FUD into the market...along with the sale of PalmSource and the lack of PalmSource license agreements. This will cause new users to go WM and existing PalmOS users will feel uncertain about spending cash on a "potentially" dead platform. Oh and who's gonna spend resources to develop for the Palm platform?

    So the question is, if I by a Treo is it really "Palm Powered"? I'd argue that it is now on the same plane as all the rest of the WM platforms. Now it's just a question of who provides the best hardware for the buck. Sure Palm may tweek the software but there's only so much they can do.

    My only hope for Palm is that the PalmUx device rolls out reasonably quickly. That should allow for a true Palm alternative to the "evil empire". Sad day for me!
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz
    So the question is, if I by a Treo is it really "Palm Powered"? I'd argue that it is now on the same plane as all the rest of the WM platforms. Now it's just a question of who provides the best hardware for the buck. Sure Palm may tweek the software but there's only so much they can do.
    Well, they'll still be Palm Powered for another...six months?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6. #6  
    Well, I am not ready to give up, just yet. My Palm app library is extensive. 10 years in the making.

    However, the ultimate proof will be in the device/software combination. If it delivers what users want, it will sell.

    But
  7. #7  
    I keep finding compelling arguments for both guesses about Palm's OS future. On one hand, it seems clear that Palm OS has stalled badly and is in dire need of a major upgrade.

    On the other hand, Palm is sure to continue making PDAs for people who don't want smartphones. So this being the case, they'll continue to need an OS for non-smartphones. Doesn't this support the theory that they'll continue to need Palm OS?

    So if they'll continue a reliance on Palm OS, wouldn't it only follow that they'll have PalmSource continue to develop for the Treo as well? Without Palm OS, they're just another hardware maker; they won't survive in that role for very long.

    What about Palm developers? Do they have a future writing for Palm OS, or do they need to bail out and learn to write for (gulp) Windoze Mobile?

    It won't be long until we start hearing about rampant viruses on WM-based Treos. Only a matter of time...
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    On the other hand, Palm is sure to continue making PDAs for people who don't want smartphones. So this being the case, they'll continue to need an OS for non-smartphones. Doesn't this support the theory that they'll continue to need Palm OS?
    Although the name suggests otherwsie, Windows Mobile is not just for smartphones, it is for regular PDAs as well so Palm wouldn't necessarily need to use the PalmOS to power their PDAs, could use Windows Mobile for that as well.
  9. #9  
    It is very possible I will start developing WM apps, if I can use C# and VisualStudio.NET 2005. . . That means I will need to convert to a WM Treo.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  10. #10  
    Reality check time -

    Cooligan says coming to other carriers (including GSM) after mid-year 2006. That means they have a 700w in the pipeline for Sprint and Cingular, and perhaps an unlocked GSM worldphone.

    WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME PALM RELEASED TWO PHONES IN THE SAME YEAR FOR THE SAME CARRIER?

    So when will we see a 700p?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by deanc
    this is an insane move, this is the move that will drive me to windows permanently.

    I cant belive handspring are going down this route but with the lack of hardware development on the 650 what can I say.

    it's kind of co-incidental but I've been playing with an old NEC Mobile Pro 780 CE organiser I picked up off ebay for $100 a month ago and realised how much more functionality I get from a querty board.

    with todays announcement it's downhill from him here and there's no reason for me to stick around for another handspring (considering my current model is the 4th palm I've owned).

    I'm placing my order this week for a HTC Universal, yes its big but it has what i need today to push the limits, (I was considering a OQO pre-release in conjunction with a SIP compliant off my Asterisk PABX but it turned out to be under featured once it arrived).

    Wishing you the best, look forward to seeing Handspring develop and join the rest of the world eventually but ti twill be without me for at least a few years.

    Cheers,
    Dean
    Chow
  12. #12  
    Lots of questions I have about the Treo700:
    I have at least $400 invested in software for the treo 650, will I be able to use it if I buy the treo700.
    Screen resolution is?
    Procesor speed?
    How does it compare with the 6700 of Sprint?
  13. #13  
    Your NEC's QUERTY keyboard provides more functionality than your Treo's QWERTY keyboard? Does the different placement of the U and W really improve the experience that much? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.

Posting Permissions