1.    #1  
    Just finished watching the archive of the press conference - here's what I heard and what I think it means:
    Cooligan:
    > Targeting business and mobile professionals
    > "Under wraps" for a number of years
    > Substantial marketing power to bring to the market
    > Have shifted from handhelds to smartphone company
    > MSoft multimedia experience is superior
    > This targets new customers in business and enterprise markets
    > Worked closely with MSoft and they gave us tools to differentiate on top

Gates:
    > Every professional will use email phones - Exchange and Activesync
    > 135m Exchange users; 13m mobile mail, 1/3 RIM
    > We lusted after things Palm did well
    > Windows Mobile development will be lock-step with Office, Outlook, Exchange

Cooligan & Gates in Q&A:
    > WM5 has functionality Palm OS lacks
    > Verizon exclusive until past mid-year 2006
    > Gates: negotiated and developed with Palm as WM5 feature set developed
    > Will bring to GSM, UTMS and others after mid-year 2006
    > Cooligan: NO Symbian or Linux. Must focus on new platform (WM5)

Note - no significant comments attributable to Strigl (Verizon). So what does this all mean to me (okay, no who cares comments):

1. Frankengarnet is end of Palm Treo line - no Cobalt/Symbian/Linux
    2. Palm OS Treo line is end user consumer oriented (but see #5)
    3. All Enterprise development will focus on WM5
    4. Bet we Cingular users are on hold until 2007
    5. Richness of superior multimedia in WM5 will move consumers that direction
    6. Still think Palm OS disappears by 2008.

What say you?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Bill Gates: "We will update this OS in lock step with our apps ..."
    Are we ready for multiple download connection with Microsoft? This better take quick updates and lots of memory.

Bill Gates: "I personally got my phone today..."
    Is he ready for the reset experience?
    What you didn't hear:
    Bill Gates: What's this flashing Star?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Insertion, that's a lol as usual. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Verizon CEO Denny Strigl said nothing, as he was perplexed by the Mirror Mechanism.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Verizon CEO Denny Strigl looks over at Bill Gates and wonders: "Dude, did you just roll out of bed? That hair, that suit..."

Bill Gates looks around and thinks, "I have more money than everyone else in here combined! Fear me!"

What will the future bring? Who knows. But if you want my brain dump, here goes...

* Palm bought Handspring, but while Handspring's usability group (led by Hawkins) was running the show before, that no longer is true. Treo 650 took some steps backwards in terms of usability as compared to the Treo 600. I think Hawkins would have sooner created an all-new smartphone-oriented OS to own for themselves than license WM, but was probably overruled or disinterested in the company day-to-day business by that point.

* I've got several years of experience using both platforms. The WM (previously simply Pocket PC), has some definite advantages. For example: Better support of more file types, multitasking (which becomes essential with the advent of smartphones), better driver support of 3rd party add-ons. Unfortunately, the usability of the old Pocket PCs left a lot to be desired, and WM5 hasn't changed that for the better. WM5 appears to be slower running on similar hardware, is buggy, and usability has taken a couple of steps forward and a couple of steps backward. The headline here is that Palm is bringing their renowned usability to the WM platform. I'd suggest that what's actually going happening is that Palm is bringing WM's poor usability to their hardware platform.

I've been saying this for at least the past year: It's not a matter of which is better: Palm OS or the Pocket PC. The truth is that they both suck, just for different reasons.

I heard that the guy behind the Danger hiptop/sidekick has another company. I hope he's up to something good. A more powerful/capable hiptop coupled with a shareware-friendly development platform would make me excited about mobile gadgets again.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    when we last heard from jeff hawkins he was working on " the next big thing, where multimedia would be a major focus .. I recall him saying this would be a major hint as to the future of the treo line.

apparently the next big thing jeff was talking about was indeed a windows treo. though some of us may have suspected it, no one knew for sure, or even wanted to consider the possibility.

I guess the 700w, is in fact, the next big thing.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    But yet, they will make me wait for the Sprint version! If they get off their *ss, and sell the new 700.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I'm in the same boat. waiting for sprint too.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    ah for once its good to be a verizon customer...oh and when I need signal its good too
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    What will the future bring? Who knows. But if you want my brain dump, here goes...

* Palm bought Handspring, but while Handspring's usability group (led by Hawkins) was running the show before, that no longer is true. Treo 650 took some steps backwards in terms of usability as compared to the Treo 600. I think Hawkins would have sooner created an all-new smartphone-oriented OS to own for themselves than license WM, but was probably overruled or disinterested in the company day-to-day business by that point.

Hawkins is still in charge. They got rid of Todd Bradley (or he left to go to HP). Either way, the trio of Jeff-Donna-Ed that left Palm to form Handspring is now back in charge of Palm. This was their decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    when we last heard from jeff hawkins he was working on " the next big thing, where multimedia would be a major focus .. I recall him saying this would be a major hint as to the future of the treo line.

apparently the next big thing jeff was talking about was indeed a windows treo. though some of us may have suspected it, no one knew for sure, or even wanted to consider the possibility.

I guess the 700w, is in fact, the next big thing.
    At the analyst session, Jeff presented at chart showing the next big thing following the Treo. It's still out there. He described it as a disruptive technology just as the original Palm Pilot and the Treo were. (It's also not the LifeDrive.)