Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It only took seconds....

I dare you - go to www.palm.com. No joke, the first time you visit the site you get a 5 second ad front for the new 700w co-sponsored by M$oft, Verizon and Palm (in that order), then the site.

Palm has sold its soul - name just one company that has gotten into bed with M$oft that didn't get co-opted. Im going to be sick.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    It's about as vague and lacking in detail as you could get though.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    Insertion

True - but just the sight of the Windoze splash before getting to the Palm site was more than I could handle. I know you're WM guy as well (and I used a v50x for three months while waiting for a Cingular 650) - what can a Palm OS Tungsten or Zire do that a modern WM not do (and if you're thinking about size, check out the "new" rx1950 from HP - a near Palm Vx size PDA with built-in WiFi)
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Insertion

True - but just the sight of the Windoze splash before getting to the Palm site was more than I could handle. I know you're WM guy as well (and I used a v50x for three months while waiting for a Cingular 650) - what can a Palm OS Tungsten or Zire do that a modern WM not do (and if you're thinking about size, check out the "new" rx1950 from HP - a near Palm Vx size PDA with built-in WiFi)
    PalmOS can't run Windows Mobile Applications.
    Insertion

Put it this way, the one single piece of software that keeps me clinging to my 650 is Chatter. Not saying I would switch, the latest (WM version) Treo certainly isn't it...yet. Who knows what the final specs will be, but if it stays to all the rumors, it's not enough. The other WM phones all have things I like, and things I don't....mainly with the keyboard.

Luckily, I've used both platforms for five + years now, so I can move from one to another without much additional cost (aside from the hardware itself) or learning curve.

But, MS is definitely making progress into the cellular market.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    It only took seconds....

I dare you - go to www.palm.com. No joke, the first time you visit the site you get a 5 second ad front for the new 700w co-sponsored by M$oft, Verizon and Palm (in that order), then the site.

Palm has sold its soul - name just one company that has gotten into bed with M$oft that didn't get co-opted. Im going to be sick.
    IBM? They may have been destroyed but not co-opted.
    Insertion
    just the sight of the Windoze splash before getting to the Palm site was more than I could handle.
    My sentiments exactly; although I've never used WM, I've suffered enough with various versions of Windows that I can't imagine buying hardware that is specifically written for a M$ operating system.

Granted, WM is probably better than I'm expecting--let's face it, my expectations are pretty low--but on principle alone I'll hold out for a future iteration of the Palm OS. Failing that, I don't know what I'll do... but I'll be an extremely hard sell for WM.

I'm confident that Palm OS is going to continue to evolve, and soon offer the same features that are now being touted in this new WM device. I think I'll wait for the next Palm OS device.

This, in my opinion, is Palm's effort to combat the Blackberry's ubiquity in the corporate market.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Insertion

PalmOS can't run Windows Mobile Applications.
    Well duh - for those of who've used Palm apps for so long - don't see the ability to NOT run Windows Mobile Apps as a shortcoming.
    It only took seconds....

Hey....

My Palm phone must be broken. I got the Palm spash screen when I went to your link. No obvious mention of M$ anywhere. I didn't feel like looking for it.....

Chuck
    I am loyal to any OS or phone. I go with the phone that meets the demands of my job. I am with Insertion where I can easily switch between both with little app costs.

Two huge advantages of WM over Palm OS is memory management and true multi-tasking. These two abilities have proven to be invaluable with my work, especially when I have to have answers now.

EDIT: also those who have used a former version of WM and are using that as a judgement for WM5 I think will be very surprised at the advancements of the OS.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 09/26/2005 at 02:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I am not anti-anyone. I use an ibook at work, sony vaio pc at home, treo 650 and have been a verizon, cingular, and past cellular one customer. One of the funny things though, is that in order to get work done ANYWHERE, on ANY device I need MS software. Exchange servers, Office documents, etc. These are the things that make me more productive. I don't care what the device uses as an OS. If it works, doesn'r crash or have compatibility issues, I go with it.

That a corporate logo should make you sick or run from a product, well, that's just prejudgement. Palm has not shown any great strides in the OS in a while. Our developers are great, but they will move on to winmobile if they have to. Don't get me wrong, I am no MS champion. If Vista isn't stable I will receommend OSX Apples to everyone I know. If Cobalt or PalmLinux ever materializes I will give it a fair shake as well. Just make my phone do what I need (and want) it to do reliably and I will buy.

From all of the info I can find, WM5 is a long way from any previous windows mobile OS. It makes sense to me if it makes things easier. Will I switch? Probably not, but only because my 650 can do all of these things. If I had any other device I probably would make the switch.
    A Treo smartphone on Microsoft homepage, amazing!

http://www.microsoft.com/
    <merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    <merged>
    It's been a long day for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    It's been a long day for you.

Yea I know I shoulda known to post "Treo 700 on MS home page" on the thread "Just Saw Palm Site - Want to Puke" Seems logical......
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack
    Yea I know I shoulda known to post "Treo 700 on MS home page" on the thread "Just Saw Palm Site - Want to Puke" Seems logical......
    Oh, I like it when the ronbo has to work! Go now and make more threads.

Title adjusted...
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Title adjusted...

I noticed that before my 2nd post, it was how I found where my original post went.

PS It really hasn't been THAT busy at Treocentral today has it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Oh, I like it when the ronbo has to work! Go now and make more threads.

Wow with 7000+ posts since January I think you like to see yourself work even more
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack
    Wow with 7000+ posts since January I think you like to see yourself work even more
    Now, I see you've met my task master
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast