1.    #1  
    What do you guys think ?
    Exisiting Treo650's, with adequate software can do most of the stuff ,they showed us.
    Is there anything we are missing besides windooooze??
    You are missing multitasking, multiple simultaneous Bluetooth connections, WiFi support, and better support of other file types.

What you aren't likely missing is speed and a whole host of usability deficiencies.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    As far as THIS user is concerned, the only thing my 650 is missing is the "photo-ring" of common contacts and the SMS decline of calls. Both would be cool, but I am not dying to get my hands on either of these features--I can wait for the palmos version (if it ever surfaces) to see these features.
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
  4.    #4  
    Did anyone ask Ed Colligan , when the next Palm based Treo coming out ?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    You are missing multitasking, multiple simultaneous Bluetooth connections, WiFi support, and better support of other file types.

What you aren't likely missing is speed and a whole host of usability deficiencies.
    Do you think an average user needs multiple simultaneous bluetooth connection ?
    Not unless you want to be on headset and sync at the same time or have a laptop connection to internet using your Treo as modem via bluetooth.
    As far as Wifi , no one is dying for it . Enfora can tell you how many sleds they have sold so far.
    Multitasking is a broad term . Treo can do most of the stuff the exisiting windows based devices will do ,except few minor. May be you can tell us more, as you have experienced HTC Apache .
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Do you think an average user needs multiple simultaneous bluetooth connection ?
    Not unless you want to be on headset and sync at the same time or have a laptop connection to internet using your Treo as modem via bluetooth.
    As far as Wifi , no one is dying for it . Enfora can tell you how many sleds they have sold so far.
    Multitasking is a broad term . Treo can do most of the stuff the exisiting windows based devices will do ,except few minor. May be you can tell us more, as you have experienced HTC Apache .
    WiFi & Enfora - "sled" says it all. NO ONE wants a slab-sided brick.

Multitasking - if EVDO is really that fast, then yes, I want multitasking. Plus REAL data & voice.

Bluetooth - headest and internet tethering. YES (see multitasking)
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    dstrauss, yes Ev-DO is fast, but having played with my PPC-6700 for several days now, it looks like WM5 is sluggish.

Mtreosexual, I was told that the multiple Bluetooth connections would allow me to have my PPC-6700 connected to both a BT GPS and my BT headset and allow me to take phone calls and maintain a GPS connection. I haven't had a chance to try this out (I don't have a BT GPS yet), but if true this could definitely be useful.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    You probably can't induce quite as many system crashes with PalmOS as you can with Windows Mobile!
    <HTML><BODY><FONT color=#000066><FONT size=5><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><B>PhilzGr8</FONT><MARQUEE id=Marquee2 style="WIDTH: 384px; HEIGHT: 17px" trueSpeed scrollAmount=1 scrollDelay=8 behavior=slide loop=1 border="0"><SPAN class=956281604-11022005><FONT size=1>Treo 600 User Par Excellence</FONT></SPAN></MARQUEE></B><BR></P></DIV>&nbsp;</BODY></HTML>
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    dstrauss, yes Ev-DO is fast, but having played with my PPC-6700 for several days now, it looks like WM5 is sluggish.

Mtreosexual, I was told that the multiple Bluetooth connections would allow me to have my PPC-6700 connected to both a BT GPS and my BT headset and allow me to take phone calls and maintain a GPS connection. I haven't had a chance to try this out (I don't have a BT GPS yet), but if true this could definitely be useful.
    And you think you will be able to do all this BT dongle without the screen freezing ??
    Scott R - You are putting too much faith in that machine.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I think the real functional advantage lies with who their target audience it for this device. All three CEOs stated pretty explicitly that their going after corporate customers. Therefore the real functional advantage is push email via Microsoft Exchange. That's where all three companies will see big money, when companies decide to standardize on this platform to integrate with their existing Exchange backend. I think the key here is that though this Treo will probably be called the 700, it's not your typical next generation treo. The Palm CEO said it several times during the press conference, "This is all about growth", meaning that this isn't intended to be a replacement device (like my Treo 600 was for my Treo 270), but more a new device for an underserved audience. You know, folks like me that are tired of having to have a friggin piece of sh!t Blackberry. All right, enough rantin' already
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    And you think you will be able to do all this BT dongle without the screen freezing ??
    Can't say how it will be on the 700W, but I use simultaneous Bluetooth GPS and headset every day on my Samsung i730. Never had a single problem. I can't imagine using Bluetooth without this function.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilzGr8
    You probably can't induce quite as many system crashes with PalmOS as you can with Windows Mobile!
    I believe this to be a complete myth - perhaps past versions of WinCE were less stable, but that certainly has not been my experience at all with WM 2003. Quite the opposite is true, in fact. Any time the Treo gets a bit confused - BAM! - reset. At least with Windows Mobile I can kill a misbehaving task and continue.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    I believe this to be a complete myth - perhaps past versions of WinCE were less stable, but that certainly has not been my experience at all with WM 2003. Quite the opposite is true, in fact. Any time the Treo gets a bit confused - BAM! - reset. At least with Windows Mobile I can kill a misbehaving task and continue.
    Last time ,i followed that advice was after Treo 600 . I bought a HP 6515 , what a fu****g piece of disaster, it was . it froze at its discreation few times a day , Turned on and stayed on for hours in the case .I ended up paying 600 bucks for a month.T mobile advertised the device, as a replacement for your laptop . I will though ,try again your so called OS 5 before making my comments about 700 w
    Last time ,i followed that advice was after Treo 600 . I bought a HP 6515 , what a fu****g piece of disaster, it was . it froze at its discreation few times a day , Turned on and stayed on for hours in the case .
    The iPaq 65xx series was wrought with problems and was very quickly (but not quickly enough) pulled by HP from the market. It's not completely fair to judge the OS based on what was probably very buggy hardware.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeter
    I think the real functional advantage lies with who their target audience it for this device. All three CEOs stated pretty explicitly that their going after corporate customers. Therefore the real functional advantage is push email via Microsoft Exchange. That's where all three companies will see big money, when companies decide to standardize on this platform to integrate with their existing Exchange backend.

Bingo!
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    where did they hide the ctrl alt & delete keys?
    I have had the PPC-6600 for over 10 months now. My phone is still using only WM2003. Even with this older version of WM, I have never had a problem using my BT Keyboard, BT headset, BT Mouse, and BT GPS at the same time. I do it all the time.

As far as multi-tasking, Palm does not do Multi-tasking. I mean, download my emails, download my daily news with Express, search for a file, editing a Word Doc, all while naving with my GPS (with someone else driving of course)....and all at the same time.

As far as crashes....I totally agree with phurth. I am very active in helping newbies on several different boards with WM and the PPC-6600, and have been for the last 10 months. WM2003 is VERY stable, especially on the PPC-6600. I have never had a single crash with a fresh OS. Just like with my Treo the only crashes I have had is when 3rd party apps don't like each other....not a WM OS issue. I think you got a lemon.

WiFi is very important if you want connectivity in any given situation. Not everyone lives or visits in full coverage areas. For example if you roam, you do not have Data ( or EVDO), no data then no internet, no internet then no SMS or email, no email then I am hurting. I could be sitting in a McDonalds with free WiFi waves flying all around me and then having to explain to my boss why I cannot get the latest vital spreadsheet while sitting a free Wifi Hotspot. I personally want all options of connectivity available to me for any given situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    where did they hide the ctrl alt & delete keys?
    There are some 3rd party utilities that do this...they are cheap or maybe even free.

BTW....I use to watch Captian Caveman every Saturday morning!!!!!!
    Will the new version have the threaded SMS?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!