Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    There's been nothing to indicate that this is true. They restricted this morning's press conference to discussion of the Palm/MS/VZW initiative. All other product news will wait 'til this afternoon's Analyst Day and CTIA Wireless tomorrow.
    Actually the speaker specifically said they are putting all their effort into this device and believe this device will carry them from now on.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondeno
    With competition like this, why would Palm decide to either release this medicore device or wait to deploy something better for non-Verizon customers? .
    corporate users dont need top of the line models in most cases. Relaible email/phone services are needed, hench the RIM approach on this model.

This is a new product for Palm as I see it, not a shift in ALL products.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Actually the speaker specifically said they are putting all their effort into this device and believe this device will carry them from now on.
    1. I've listened to six hours of presentations since Thursday, and I haven't heard them say this. It's possible that they will not put out another PalmOS device, but they never said so.

2. It's not true. They are certainly not putting "all their effort" into the 700w. They still have a lot of resources devoted to the PalmOS platform. They have many active partnerships based on their PalmOS-based devices. They have a presence in 80% of the Fortune 1000, most if not all on PalmOS devices. 400 companies are active users; 400 are testing. They're developing apps for PalmOS that make the platform more valuable (like Traffic), and they've promised more.

And Palm does not believe that the 700w will "carry them from now on." They've promised other product announcements for this year. And they promise that they're working on the "next big thing" after the Treo. The smartphone segment may carry them for a while; the 700w won't do it alone. Remember that the 700w generates about $0 revenue for them right now. PalmOS-based products generate over $1 Billion in revenue.

3. I have heard them say the exact opposite. They've said several times that this new product is about growth, adding to existing business. They've said that this is about creating choice. They've said that they will be developing for two platforms.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12