Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am rather disappointed that the 700W will not (apparently) be offered by Sprint. I was excited about this new Treo when I first heard about it mainly because I really do like WM but prefer the small form factor and size of the 650 over the larger size of the 6600 and even 6700. Usually Sprint seemed to get the Treo before anyone else. I wonder what happened this time? I wonder when Sprint will make it available?
    maybe becuase they will be first with the 700p. hope we find out tomorrow.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    They'll get it, but I think Verizon was awarded the product release because of their expansive deployment of EVDO that's already taken place.

Sprint's really dropping the ball on EVDO in my opinion. I think the only thing that will save them is an almost network-wide deployment of EVDO, similar to the initial release of 1xRTT.
    Funny... my secong though after I heard this (after the 'oh wow, MS on Palm is real') was 'Verizon!?!. Where the hell is Sprint'

It's so suprising to see Verizon first on the sceen w/ a Treo. Correct me if I'm wrong,but I thoguht Sprint was always frist w/ the Treo's.

The points made here make sense. Experience W/ WM and the quick EVDO roll out by Verizon is allowing them to get a step on Sprint

Sprint missed out on an opportunity here. Agreed, they are lacking w/ the EVDO roll out. As a customer and part of an outside audience I would venture to guess the Nextel merger is slowing them down.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I wounder if it has anything to do with the Nextel Sprint deal,
    This might be because they want the release with push to talk feature and Verison does not offer that ?
    Just a thought ..
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    my guess is they want to see how well the WM5 version sells before picking it up, there really isn't a user base for 2 WM phones @ sprint, they already have a 6700 and that's been selling like hotcakes. They will most likely be carrying the PalmOS version as the end of life for the 650 is around november, but they definitely aren't dropping the ball with evdo... so far with the release of the 6700, it's available in more areas than Verizon and only costs $15 a month...
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    my guess is they want to see how well the WM5 version sells before picking it up, there really isn't a user base for 2 WM phones @ sprint, they already have a 6700 and that's been selling like hotcakes. They will most likely be carrying the PalmOS version as the end of life for the 650 is around november, but they definitely aren't dropping the ball with evdo... so far with the release of the 6700, it's available in more areas than Verizon and only costs $15 a month...
    Show me were Sprint's EVDO covers more POPS than Verizon's EVDO and I'll buy you a steak dinner.

I agree that eventually Sprint will probably have a better EVDO footprint, but right now, that's not the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    Show me were Sprint's EVDO covers more POPS than Verizon's EVDO and I'll buy you a steak dinner.

I agree that eventually Sprint will probably have a better EVDO footprint, but right now, that's not the case.
    Fight as much as you want about it, but sprint and verizon both have a decent evdo footprint about now and are the same everywhere I have traveled.

Who cares which is better, stay with the carrier you like and stop complaining. We like sprint, you like verizon. So stay with their out-rageous prices...
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Fight as much as you want about it, but sprint and verizon both have a decent evdo footprint about now and are the same everywhere I have traveled.

Who cares which is better, stay with the carrier you like and stop complaining. We like sprint, you like verizon. So stay with their out-rageous prices...
    Shadowmite, you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm actually a die-hard Sprint fan and have carried them since early 2002, but I'm just stating a fact. I actually have multiple Sprint lines and a single Verizon line, and my Treo is actually from Sprint.

Sprint and Verizon's EVDO coverage may be the same where you've traveled, but the same accross the board it is not. I respect the work you've done for the Treo community, but don't assume I'm complaining (when I'm not) and don't assume I prefer Verizon (when I don't). I was just simply stating a FACT.
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFan
    I am rather disappointed that the 700W will not (apparently) be offered by Sprint. I was excited about this new Treo when I first heard about it mainly because I really do like WM but prefer the small form factor and size of the 650 over the larger size of the 6600 and even 6700. Usually Sprint seemed to get the Treo before anyone else. I wonder what happened this time? I wonder when Sprint will make it available?
    Well, at least this time we cannot blame Sprint for the late availability of an unlocked GSM model. I hope that Palm will be careful to admit that there will be no GSM product for a long time instead of overpromising as they have in the past.

It will be interesting to see how much memory Palm puts in this device. Windows does not run well on 128K, much less 32K.

In any case, I cannot imagine what they might put in this device that would get my attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model
    Correct me if I'm wrong,but I thoguht Sprint was always frist w/ the Treo's.
    The Treo 300 showed up 6 months after the release of the unlocked GSM Treo 180.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    WM5 Treo must have been Verizon's investment to the Treo platform hence it is ahead of all the other vendors.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    The Treo 300 showed up 6 months after the release of the unlocked GSM Treo 180.

Timmay
    True but misleading. The 300 was a different model and not promised at the time of the 270. All versions of the 600 and 650 had the same model number. While the GSM versions were promised "shortly" after the CDMA version shortly turned out to be months. Even that would have not been so bad had Palm personnel not been leaking earlier dates, if only to enterprise customers. There was a clear intent to convert as many users to Sprint as possible before offering any alternative. I expect that in this case it will be as many users to Verizon as possible.

It is hard to know if this is a winning strategy without knowing the quid quo pro. Since Palm chooses it a third time, this time with new partners, it seems clear that they think it is.

They are scum and all of us that do business with them are users. The shame is as much ours as theirs.
    History tells us it's not so bad to wait a few months before getting a new Treo model... at least until the first set of bugs are fixed
    I think Sprint's just feelin it out also. I don't think they're too concerned about a WM based phone when they got that other joint sellin the way it is. I honestly believe that Palm has not abandoned the PALM OS. Wishufully thinking, we will be hearing of a Palm OS based new device coming out soon.

Sweet Chi-Town Music!

300 > 600 > 650

CURRENT EQUIPMENT

TREO 650

Alternate Phone- Motorola Razr V3 (silver)
    Quote Originally Posted by stipus
    History tells us it's not so bad to wait a few months before getting a new Treo model... at least until the first set of bugs are fixed
    Given the length of the product cycle, that is not a good strategy. One would have waited a long time to get a 650 with the file system problem to be fixed. Today the 650 may be obsolete while the file system problem, hardly as small as a mere bug, has only recently been fixed.
    Do we know if Sprint is going to release a Treo 700w on the nextel side?
    with push to talk feature, or is this going to be just on the Sprint cdma side ?
    or will the phone have both signals built in ?
    this is very important to me since I am a sprint treo 650 user but my new company is nextel only .... So for me to get the new treo I would need to be on the nextel band for the push to talk features and pricing bundle and so on...
    any news from sprint employees on this subject ....
    anyone ?
    Doubtful. I think an IDEN radio would add significant bulk to the Treo, making a case redesign necessary.

Good news for you, however. You can now use Sprint devices on Nextel service and vice versa, but you would obviously lose the Direct Connect ability.
    Good news for you, however. You can now use Sprint devices on Nextel service and vice versa, but you would obviously lose the Direct Connect ability.

What does this mean? What Sprint devices can you use on Nextel...and does anyone know when voicemails of Sprint/Nextel will act as one system?
    Charliec
    You can go into a Sprint Store and buy a Nextel phone for your service. However, you will only be able to access the iDEN network, thereby significantly lowering your coverage area. On the other hand, a Nextel customer could buy a Sprint device and be on the CDMA network, losing Direct Connect buy gaining far superior coverage.

Total integration of the system is far off. Eventually, iDEN will disappear from consumer offerings as the U.S. government is positioned to purchase the technology and implement an encrypted emergency radio solution over iDEN.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast